Rules Updates: August 11, 2018

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Disallowing bumping auctions is a huge step backwards for the forum economy.
    :confused:
    I would love to hear why this was enforced by the person(s) that made this decision.

2. I don't think that's the case. There have been proposed solutions to the auction spam in the past, including removing auction threads from the recent threads box, but for one reason or another they've all been rejected. Something like that just isn't feasible because it either shows too much bias or it can't be done in the first place

EDIT: All changes, whether good or bad, don't just happen on a whim. They have to go through discussion first, and outright removing auctions from the recently active threads box is probably not a good idea
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  3. It can be done easily are you serious
  4. I do not know why there cannot just be another whitelisting/ separate threads box on the sidebar... but banning bumping from anywhere in game and on the forums is going to have devastating effects on the economy... smh
    ConductorConduit likes this.
  5. That wasn't even the only condition I listed. I did edit my post to add a bit more info, but sometimes it's not just up to how easily and quickly something can be done
  6. As already started, we looked at alternative options and we settled on the best available. We don't WANT to remove legitimately active auctions from the recent threads list. They are a large part of our forums and we don't intend to shut them down. We're simply cutting down on inactive auction bump spam. Original postings and actual bids will still make the auction show up in the recently active section, as that is active auction activity. If you browse the auction forums and see an auction you like, watch it. Notifications will keep you up to date on the current bids.

A shortcut IS pending. Just figuring out where to put it effectively and ensuring it works as it's supposed to.
  7. You would hope that's a large part of it..
  8. Auctions for high quantity items will bet up to very little amounts because the auction will get lost to the more reasonable auction with less quantity of items and people will either make less as quickly because of the small auctions they have to post. Or just lose hope in auctions and quit the game all together. 90% of my profit is through auctions.
  9. Xenforo version limitations and feasibility. We do the best with what we have. Yes, there are some plugins we are looking into that will aid in auctions, but nothing is solid on them. We have to work around the limitations we have in an outdated and heavily patched xenforo.
    Luckygreenbird and SkeleTin007 like this.
  10. Sorry brother got to disagree. The spam wasn't overbearing over market chats, sure it might be the only thing you see in recent thread history but someone already suggested to make a COMPLETELY different side tab for auctions themselves which eliminates that. Banning auctions from market chat eliminates the majority who use that chat in the first place, which in turn does hurt the economy because there are uninformed players about auctions.

Think of it this way, google ads "try" to draw your attention to products that you may buy. They may be annoying at times but you can tune them out. This solution now is putting the adblock on auctions
  11. At what point you guys just upgrade to a new version? I can only see this causing more issues not in the true interest of many EMCers in the future. Correct me if I am wrong, but this version of Xenforo is 7 years old.
  12. There's a good reason that they use the old xenforo, don't quite remember it but updating isn't feasible afaik
  13. But yet it is easier to just destroy the economy and continue duct taping the forums? No.
  14. We can't just upgrade. As explained many times before, the system we do have is heavily patched. Aikar has slowly made small modifications, but overall the base patches are hacky at best. We would basically need to break all supporterships in order to do so. And that's just the supporter related issues.
  15. I wanted better auction pages instead of stunting auctions all together
    FadedMartian likes this.
  16. Their recent patch was on July 24th of this year (https://twitter.com/XenForo/status/1021773914157006849) , but beyond that I agree
    FadedMartian likes this.
  17. Understandable. But you realize its going to get increasingly more difficult as y'all put it off, right? If you guys arent upgrading then lol just say it
    Bromine_XD likes this.
  18. And on the topic of Supportership the supporter page has been outdated all year now
  19. Auction forums is what separated this server from the rest to me :(
    FadedMartian likes this.