Remove live map for wilderness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CtrlAltEnigma, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Although Im a supporter and usually hide unless I am helping someone, I have Rei's Minimap installed, it allows you to set waypoints on the map and has a built in compass so you dont need to take up an extra inventory slot to carry one.. It is under the list of Acceptable Mods for EMC.
    battmeghs likes this.
  2. There was no house. It was dirt ground. Uncover the dirt and there's an entrance.

Funny how i often go to the wilderness and into the end, get spawned somewhere random and CAN ALWAYS FIND THE WILD SPAWN AGAIN.

If i can do it, you can too.
  3. It seems its only you who wants it. The live map helps people, and also saves people. Mods also use it, to try to FIND griefers. If we were to get rid of it, it wouldn't help stop griefing, as the griefers would find a new way to find camps.
  4. i completely agree. while we are at it, lets get rid of pain medications too! people abuse those! and we can live without them! deal with the pain. lets also get rid of computers, because a very small amount of people do illegal things on them! lets get rid of everything that is almost 99% good, just because some people use it for bad. Terrible Idea. i suggest going at least 40 blocks underground, at any distance from the spawn.
  5. You can only get griefed if you build stuff you care about, and that is not what the wilderness is for :)
  6. The wild is for stuff you care about, if you go far enough away from the spawn.
  7. Interesting concept.
    I remain neutral.
  8. The live map is very useful. Things I have used it for:
    1) Find my way home from being hopelessly lost.
    2)Helping friends find their way home from being lost.
    3) Seeing who is around me while I am out and about. Its always nice to whisper people and make new friends.
    4) exploring - I love seeing neat things built on the map then go out to see them in person. And no - not to grief.
    5) Finding specific biomes.

Ways to misuse the live map.
    1) Locate things to grief. Which you can prevent by hiding your builds.

The positives far outweigh the negatives.
  9. Before I got Rei's Minimap and set Waypoints I would have to rely on the live map to get back. I STILL use it from time to time. Wilderness you can get pretty turned around if you get into a digging mode and forget where you are/have been so it's good to have the live map to help figure out which direction you're going. Or if you get stuck close to spawn in the "bomb site" areas and can't see to get out or how close you are to the spawn point.
  10. lol when I first joined (a week ago) I didn't even know about live maps :p
  11. The Empire Guide 8th tab down.
  12. I used livemap a great deal before i started using a minimap and waypoints.
    The best thing to do to hide is to build underground, and leave the above ground area wild and pristine.
    If you have to build above ground, cover the top layer of your structures with grass/trees/sand or whatever is natural for that particular biome. This won't stop people who use livemap in the 3d view though, just the topdown view.
    If you are a regular member you can't hide your livemap position though, those perks come with supporter status. :)
  13. My exp grinders used to get griefed all the time until I became a supporter to hide from the live map. Griefers definitely do use the live map to find where your base is, so if you HAVE to build something in the wild such as an exp grinder, I recommend becoming a supporter as well.

14. Well some people can't find their way like you can, so excuse your lack of care for them. Build your place far underground like every other smart person online. Trust me. I have four wild bases and NOT ONE has ever been found.
    autumnrain26 likes this.
  15. Well i discussed something similar i wanted to bring up, the fact it's that livemaps it's pretty useful for everyone and has many different con's
    Here the thread of what i purposed: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/players-have-rights-too.4322/
    It got closed mainly because i couldn't handle a little situation with a dude that was bugging me up but it's still a valid purposal :)
    Also, i believe that it would be nice for you to check this out: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...live-in-the-wild-peeps-out-there-part-1.4873/
    battmeghs likes this.
  16. Challenge Accepted.. :3 (Granted there are 10 servers to look through..xD)
    battmeghs and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. Just did this, though sadly we both fell down someone's endless mine of doom and both died.
  18. lol, let me know =]
  19. 2,000 blocks and you think you're safe? Really?

Try 250,000 blocks. That's safe.
    jkjkjk182 and SecretAznEks like this.