Rebalancing the Empire Economy [slow induce]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jan 22, 2014.

?

Thoughts on stimulating the economy (Note: Decision made, see post)

Leave it alone (please provide evidence/reasoning) 63 vote(s) 25.2%
Gradual increase until 10x lift 37 vote(s) 14.8%
Gradual increase until 25x lift 22 vote(s) 8.8%
Gradual increase until things are healthy and stable 105 vote(s) 42.0%
Don't care either way. 23 vote(s) 9.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thought this is still illegal in EMC. :)
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  2. Hmm, I have a snow golem at my iron farm soo....
    Isn't it disallowed to afk with a button press active?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. Only if you get caught ;)
    Equinox_Boss and hashhog3000 like this.
  4. I voted for a 25x inflation to make things interesting. Though, I hope you plan to multiply all balances of current players to the inflation multiplier to make things even; if not I'm going to be sad..
  5. You rich people. :p
    I definitely agree with this (the second part, that is :)). If you make a 10x change, I think a 10x bonus would be great.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. Many of the rupee drains are really targetted at the richer players to help circulate that money.

For example, 15k spent to shop x 10 = 150k drained, then they resell it to another players for 200k. they make 50k profit, but 150 was removed. Healthy circulation at the same time of moving money.

We wouldn't ramp up the drains at same speed, but the main focus here would be to give benefit all around for price flexability, but also to help new players getting started with the economy.

Essentially - Short Term:
    New players have much more spending power, increasing demand to match supply, inspiring price increases.
    Rich players already don't depend on the daily income to survive, so nothing much changes for them beyond more buyers for their shops.

Long Term:
    We could end up where new players are still too poor to get started, but that can be solved easily through bigger INITIAL rupee bonuses but keeping the daily income the same, so things will balance out that a new player has enough income to get started and find ways to make more on their own with shops.

Then shops overall will be in a better place for pricing.
  7. With potential unknown risks that we can't figure out without trying it out.
    I think we should go for it.
    Worst comes to worst, the economy disintegrates, and nothing becomes purchasable, so we're all left to fend for ourselves in our nice cushy town. :p
    Equinox_Boss and hashhog3000 like this.
  8. Hmmm, I like that idea. Not only it would get the new players started a little better, but we might even have less "Please don't beg for 'moar ruppeez plox'" bans, and that's always a good thing. Only now am I realizing just how fast this thread is growing. :p

Oh, dear! Whatever would we do! :p I too support trying out your system of gradual price/bonus increasing and higher newbie bonuses.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. The main issue is that I don't want to FORCE things to change, but simply encourage it to happen naturally.

If we change the bonus tomorrow, 1 week from now NOTHING will be changed that would be measurable.

But if we start changing peoples current balance, then that is a forced change on the economy.

You'll have some people upset that they were not unable to sell off their goods quick enough, therefor not getting as much of a boost to their current rupees.

then also, if we raised every ones current rupees 10x, nothing is forcing the item values to immediately go up 10x. This would cause people to lose value in items.

Doing that would just cause chaos to the economy, where as changing bonus only and leaving current rupees alone will not devalue any ones bank unless they sit on it and do not use it to continue economic trade.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Maybe this is silly, but, um... what if we, er, changed our currency? Say we switched our currency to Polar Pops or some weird thing. Maybe 1 Polar Pop is worth 1/10 of a rupee. So if you were like super-rich and had 100 rupees before, then your account would now say 1,000 Polar Pops. And then, is it possible to automatically switch every shop sign existing in the Empire to the equivalent in PP's using code? Because if so, then your problem would seem to be solved simply. You translate everything to a currency of lesser value, and boom, you are able to have greater price variation. Essentially the cheating shortcut to all of this and a way around decimals. The one problem is the code. Sure, I would miss rupees too, but is it possible to change the value on existing signs?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  11. Lol if it was that simple then we would just stay with rupees :p

There is no database of shops though is the issue.

It would also cause mass confusion.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. True. I think a millionaire finding "You have 120,000,000 Penguin Poopies" would be a bit... confusing. :p And all the newbies would be like "Yes! I'm rich!" I see where you're coming from. :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. I have an idea... and I really dont think this could work anyways but maybe you make some code thing (lol) to add an extra "0" to everything, that would times it by ten... but then again it would make like my money worth nothing or 10X less..
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. That answer your question? :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. No not really, but also you could add a "0" and also add a "0" to peoples money maybe so there is more room for competitive pricing...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. Unless everyone manually added 0's to their shop signs, this couldn't happen. As Aikar said before, if it was this simple, then we could have just done this already. :) Unfortunately, giving everyone 10x the rupees would probably just result in a chaotic crash of worthlessness and death. :p
    Equinox_Boss and RainbowChin like this.
  17. I'll let Aikar answer for the simple coding reasons behind it, but that would be the same as multiplying player balances by 10, and he has already said a few times player balances would not be touched.
    Equinox_Boss, mba2012 and hashhog3000 like this.
  18. Not sure if I like this...

I hardly ever buy things from shops, but when I end up needing to, I always need huge amounts of something, and it always adds up.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. It seems bad at first, but take into account the rupee bonuses. If they were increased enough, there really wouldn't be much of a change; the ratios of rupees gained/lost before the change to the rupees gained/lost after would be the same on average. This would just give more room for price experimentation and variation. :)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  20. This would just add an extra 0 or 0's to everything. Meaning it all stays the same.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.