Question on mob spawning distance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fred_TWK, Oct 19, 2021.

1. 607 and Egeau like this.
  2. Mob movment activity is within a 5 chunck area cross shape with the player in the center chunk.
    Merek_Shadower likes this.
  3. 607, Egeau and Merek_Shadower like this.
  4. The normal spawning radus is 128 blocks, on emc its 64, the Dev's tweek the code to reduce lag, you can do /entcount to see number of mobs in your area.
  5. and how do you think this answer my question?

The EMC wiki talks of distance, not of radius, for example.
    607 and Egeau like this.
  6. I know quite a lot of people make their perimeters based on Chebyshev Distance, but it's supposed to be Euclidean, at least the code the wiki article is referring to.

There is also some messy code with the mob cap going on though. I assume you'll have seen it, but that code is the reason (I think) that people don't make their perimeters just perfect circles.
    I might very well be wrong here, but I believe that mobs in positions that no mobs can spawn in, can still stay where they are, and contribute to the mobcap. I’d make sure to check that that isn't an issue. :)
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  7. oh, I see. drat, I was hoping that a circle would be enough
  8. It's probably close enough. :p
    I have not done the maths or logic for the new system, but I am rather quite sure that making a Eucidian circle, not out of blocks but out of chucks, is enough. You can probably mine even less, though :)
    607 likes this.
  9. eh, I'm going by blocks :oops:
  10. 128 block diameter
  11. I am not sure why that entry is worded the way it is.

It is 4 chunks. Specifically that is what we have our "mob-spawn-range" config value in spigot settings set to.
    The official description describes it as "Radius in chunks around the player in which mobs will spawn."
    607, Fred_TWK, Egeau and 1 other person like this.
  12. that changes things a bit for me, but I am glad to have a definitive answer :D

Thank you!

EDIT: with the information provided, I found this: https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/what-exactly-does-mob-spawn-range-do.176889/#post-3221175

607 and Egeau like this.
  13. Interesting!
    I didn't know the term 'Chebyshev distance'; I am hoping to remember it! :D
    Fred_TWK likes this.