[ Poll ] Is Cheerleading a Sport?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by emfs_ad, Mar 28, 2015.

?

Is Cheerleading a Sport?

Yes 38 vote(s) 44.7%
No 47 vote(s) 55.3%
  1. If rolling a ball down a path to hit stuff is a sport, I do not see why cheer leading isn't.

Aside from my bowling joke, I do not qualify it as a sport. If cheer leading is a sport, then people who cheer for their favorite team must be athletes.
  2. I just said I wouldn't be able to do it. Flexibility is a large role and I have zero of it. But that still doesn't make it a sport in my opinion :p
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  3. lol no. it is definitely more of a hobby. I mean it also keeps people entertained, but it is definitely not a sport. Ive never heard of Cheerleading being spefically shown on like ESPN or whatever, only on the sidelines of other sports. Basically like cheering them on to get them to do better.
    deathconn likes this.
  4. Hhahaha jokes on you cheerleading has been on ESP so boo ya again look it up!!!!!
    deathconn likes this.
  5. Yah. What PenguinDJ said.

Sports also usually (and traditionally) are an athletic activity. However, a secondary definition for sport is "diversion, recreation, pleasant pastime," so other activities which may not involve athletics could still be called a sport.

The whole discussion is like the old argument over whether a tree makes a "sound" if it falls in the forest and noone is there to "hear" it. It's useless to argue either side, because there are two definitions for sound. One is the actual waves made in a wave-carrying medium and the other definition is the perception of those waves by something like the human ear and brain.

Only if you decide before starting a debate like this, which definition all debaters agree to base their comments on, is there any ability to support your side of the argument.
    deathconn likes this.
  6. *looks up*
    darn all i can find is football, its not specifically for cheerleading tho, its just in the background of a more important sport (str8 rekt all cheerleaders)
    deathconn likes this.
  7. Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Of course it can be a sport. Not every cheer leading group fits the definition, but there plenty that do.

There are plenty of activities like golf, auto racing, horse racing, bowling, billiards, darts, poker whose status as a sport I might question and they regularly show up in sporting news. Some Olympic events are the same way.

Sadly, NBC Sports has an article on the National Dog show but would not throw cheerleading a bone: http://www.nbcsports.com/nationaldogshow
    deathconn and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  8. This is the definition of a sport.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes

Now, argue about how it is not a sport

EDIT: gosh freaking darnit Pabs...
    Pab10S likes this.
  9. The Penguin and a few others beat us both.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  10. By this definition, cup stacking, Ultimate and almost every conceivable form of competition is a sport. I joined the national box packing league the other day!:cool:
    georgeashington and Pab10S like this.
  11. "There are competitions between cheer leading squads for a championship." They have championships for card games as well.. is that a sport? :D

Also i don't think it was worth spammin each server to get a reply.. As well thats like saying fishing is a sport. No its a sport of luck which you can do different things to increase your odds.
  12. As much as I agree that it is a widely known "sport", there is no real league for it and it is therefore, in my opinion, not a legitimate sport. As death-y said, it is more of a hobby.
    TechFilmer likes this.
  13. Hmm.. gaming...
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill... - Check, I gotta move my fingers and hands. Plus, reaction time.
    ...in which an individual or team... - Basically every multiplayer game.
    ...competes against another or others for entertainment. - Need you more proof?
  14. One athletic award only real sports get these.

One School Letter only real sports get these.

And Just because i can there you go real :)
    FWRonald, deathconn and Pab10S like this.
  15. Optic was at X Games... :)
  16. From wikipedia:

Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitivephysical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing entertainment to participants, and in some cases, spectators.[

So i consider cheerleading a sport.
  17. I see it as a sport. Meets the textbook dictionary definition of it.
    Just because something is more popular or widely recognized as compared to something else, does not mean that both are not a sport.

Not to hijack, but I think this parallels the question

What are your thoughts on the following:
    NASCAR
    Chess
    Competitive Eating
    Ice Skating
    Synchronized Swimming
    Bobsledding
    Alpine skiing
    Slalom
    Archery
    Tetrathlon
    Marathon
    Backyard basketball (where you and your friends get together and play basketball)
    Ping Pong
    Professional wrestling
    BMX freestyle
    Fencing

Travel the world, and you see many different 'sports'.

Still, I kind of wish to see a koala dressed as a cheerleader...
    Gimme a K, Gimme an O,.... :D
    deathconn likes this.
  18. Notice how it says "Athletic Award" and not "This is an Actual Sport Award" :p
    Cfcdog13 likes this.
  19. Proof is in the pudding....
    FWRonald and deathconn like this.
  20. Athelete: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

If you ever get an athletic scholarship you probably would not insist that they rename it as a sports scholarship.