[ Poll ] Is Cheerleading a Sport?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by emfs_ad, Mar 28, 2015.

?

Is Cheerleading a Sport?

Yes 38 vote(s) 44.7%
No 47 vote(s) 55.3%
  1. With my logic, of course! :p
    Pab10S likes this.
  2. there a cheerleading scholorship hahaah
  3. Definition of Athletic: physically strong, fit, and active.

Athletic doesn't necessarily mean you're doing a sport :p
  4. Officially Cheerleading is not a sport otherwise they would be an American Association of Cheerleading of some sort. Yes, Universal Cheerleaders Association does exist but that company is not independent as it is owned by Varsity (A private company) whom by the way is the biggest lobby-er against cheerleading being recognized as a sport as they would be the one loosing major revenue stream.
    That is why until cheerleading is officially recognised as a sport by the US government (Sports association) cheerleading accidents will not count towards sports injury statistics (Note that Cheerleading injury countis more that all sports injury combined). Also health insurances for cheerleading cost a lot more as they are not regarded as a sport and recovery cost are rarely part of the covers.
  5. Looks like ESPN, which is definately not relevant to sports of any kind, televised Division I of the UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship today, which definitely does not sound like a league: http://uca.varsity.com/NHSCC-ESPN-Airdates

Now, back to watching "Archer", which is definitely not a cartoon...
    Mayoman100, Kephras and highlancer54 like this.
  6. Google: Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Merriam Webster: Sport - a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

Dictionary.com: Sport - an athletic activity requiring skill or physicalprowess and often of a competitive nature, asracing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling,wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Oxford: Sport - An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

Cambridge: Sport - a game, competition, or similar activity, done for enjoyment or as a job, that takes physical effort and skill and is played or done by [particular rules]

According to five dictionaries, yes. Cheerleading is competitive, and it is composed of physical activity. It is no less of a sport than soccer/football or lacrosse, baseball, etc.

It is considered a high school sport as well, at least where I live. Technically, marching band is also a sport. ;)
    Kephras likes this.
  7. This is the only valid counter-argument I have seen yet.
    Rest of you nay-sayers need to step up your game a bit ;) So far it all just sounds like "because that's what I think" which is no basis for a practical debate.
    hashhog3000 and Pab10S like this.
  8. The AAU considers cheerleading a sport.
  9. My opinion is no.. but by definition it is
    Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    So in regards to professionalism, being a "pro" by definition is being paid to do something
    So no mater what my opinion is definitions got me beat :(
    Kephras and XxE3choxX like this.
  10. Is it fun? Do you get exercise from it? Are there competitions? Can you get payed? EXACTLY same as running and swimming those are sports that you can win or lose all those traits are in sports (Fun, Exercise, Comps, Awards/pay)
    So that's my reasoning XP
  11. Crawling:

It's fun, I do get exercise from it, there can be a crawling competition, Sure I can get payed for it.

Does that make crawling a sport? Nope. :p
  12. But... MLG Crawling.... but... :(
  13. You're drawing a false equivalence here. If there are regional / national competitions and people who train themselves to be the best crawlers out there, then yes, it would also qualify as a sport.

Maybe the court of public opinion is on your side, comrade, but it's already been demonstrated pretty conclusively that cheerleading (in some cases) most certainly qualifies as a sport. ;)
  14. The American Medical Association says cheerleading should be considered a sport because of its rigors and risks. The nation's largest doctors' group adopted that as policy Monday at its annual meeting in Chicago.Jun 10, 2014
    Key word: SHOULD
    deathconn likes this.
  15. Middle School Cheerleading Teams: Not a sport, unless you consider "Rhyming and Yelling" a sport :p
    Competitive Cheerleading: I think it is a sport, they do flips and stuff, so its like a branch of gymnastics

I may be wrong, I am a basketball player, not a cheerleader xD
  16. "can be" isn't the same. There are cheer leading competitions. Give it up buddy.
    Kephras likes this.
  17. Just because there are competitions doesn't mean it automatically make it a sport :p

There can be competitions on anything. A staring competition isn't a sport because it's a competition
  18. Again with the false equivalence. "Staring" is also not physically demanding and athletic. There are eating competitions, but they would not meet the definition of a sport either. Cheerleading does.
    You're grasping at straws and it's starting to look pretty silly. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and accept you're wrong.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  19. 57f0edca-edd2-4465-a751-92ad67cbc3d6.jpg