Pokemon Card collectors!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Impaxis, Oct 28, 2021.

?

You ever collected Pokemon cards?

Ofcourse! 8 vote(s) 88.9%
Pokemon cards? What is that? 1 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. Wow, crazy.

When I was in primary education (about 7 years old?) most of my friends had Pokémon cards, especially the guys, but I didn't have any, because my parents didn't like it. However, my best friend's mother found it sad that I didn't have any while my friends did, so she gifted me some kind of starter pack. I was quite happy with this, but I knew that my parents didn't like it, so I wasn't sure what I should do with it. I decided to cut out paper and tape it on the Pokémon logo and all occurrences of the name. At first I did only the Energy cards, because I didn't think they looked too suspicious, and I excitedly showed them to my mother. I don't recall how I tried to explain the paper on it. :p However, I wanted to use the actual Pokémon too, so I started masking the logo and names on the rest of the cards, too. It took a long time, though, and eventually I asked my mother to help. In the end, now that she knew anyway, we gave up on the copyright names, and only masked the back of the card. This actually ended up being useful to find my cards back if they had been mixed with other kids', because mine were the only ones with paper on their backs. :p
    Only months or years later did I find out that my best friend's mother had asked my mother for permission before gifting me a starter pack. :rolleyes:

There was one EX card in that pack, which got stolen. I did get some older cards from other kids, later. After some time I actually didn't do much with the cards anymore—we never played the actual card game anyway, although we sometimes tried to play it without energy cards, which didn't really work—and I gifted them all to one of my friends. In return, he gifted me all of his Pokémon anime collectable cards (I just looked it up: they were from Topps' Pokémon trading cards series one). I had lost those for years, but I seem to recall finding them back a few years ago. They're not worth much anyway, and I don't care much for them anymore.
    farmerguyson and Varua like this.
  2. I got my tins, but was not able to record the pack opening sadly enough!
    The pulls I got from them weren't great at all, but ey.. that is the risk!
    I will post my best pulls from the two tins later.

When I receive my card back from AP Grading, I will try to record me opening it up! So we can see together what the grade is in my shiny Charmander!
    Sefl and farmerguyson like this.
  3. The best pulls from the pack opening yesterday!
    Value wise they are not great.. But atleast I was able to add 3 new ones to my collection!

Zapdos Reverse Holo

Starmie GX

Shiny Ho-Oh

Sefl likes this.
  4. I did a thing!

I received two Evolving Skies booster packs earlier today.
    Ofcourse I openend them, but this time I recorded the pack opening.

I made a short video and I am gonna be posting it on Youtube.
    If you gonna watch it..
    Please keep in mind I have never edited videos before or have ever done a pack opening on camera!
    So it is still a learning process!

Maybe next time I can give commentary while opening the packs, maybe a face cam.. Just let me know what would be a good way to improve the video(s)!:p.

If you got tips & tricks, let me know in DM please! :D

The pack opening:
    https://youtu.be/mnqYHc7KctU
  5. It has been a few days since I updated this thread.. So here we go!

I got a small package 2 days ago, it was a Celebrations Dragapult box!
    This got a few items in it. A oversized promo card, a regular promo card, a collecting map & a coin. (Please.. Dont ever use those collecting maps to store your cards.. It will make your cards bent.)

Yeah, not so interesting.. The main part of this box were the 2 Celebrations packs!
    You can pull some amazing pokemons from this.. Including a base set Charizard..

Ofcourse I didn't pack that beast!
    To be honest, I didn't really pull anything good out of the Celebrations packs..:(.
    But in this box also comes 1 Vivid Voltage pack!
    And I had a pretty decent pull out of that one! Amazing Rare Raikou! :D

I tried to record this pack opening, but it all went a bit wrong.. Let's just say.. I forgot to hit an important button..

Coming back to the advice of not using that map that was part of that box..
    The map I use to keep my Hidden Fates collecting in is one from TC Safe.
    I can make a small video of that map with my collection if someone wants to see my Hidden Fates collection so far!

Oh.. and an update on my Charmander that I sent to Germany.. The grading is finished, I am now waiting for the package to return to me! I can't wait to see my beautiful Charmander back!:D

Edited: No clue why it is showing so many spoilers..
    farmerguyson and 607 like this.
  6. Wow, they're reprinting old cards? That's really cool! And for the sake of collectors, they do indicate that there aren't the original pressings. Great! :+1:

To fix the spoiler issue, select everything from the opening to the closing tag and click 'Remove formatting' (the top left button). You can use formatting inside spoilers, but you need to watch out that you don't apply it to the spoiler tags, as that will cause them to multiply. But you're only having images inside them, so there's no need for formatting anyway.
    Varua likes this.
  7. Yeah! The reprinting idea is great. Celebrations is a popular set thanks to the reprinting! I might order some more Celebrations packs next paycheck 😄

Aahh, that is why. I am gonna fix it later when I have the time. Thanks for letting me know! And for your YT comment too.. whoops. 😂
    607 likes this.
  8. Pulled this from a Booster of Fusion Strike :D:love: :<3:

I'm also 3 cards away from completing my Celebrations collection :rolleyes:
    607, UltiPig and Varua like this.
  9. Oh snap!
    That is a pretty Celebi!

3 cards away? You been collecting like a crazy one then! Or been really lucky hahaha
  10. I got my Charmander back that I sent to Germany!
    So I made a short video of me unpacking the card.
    Really glad with the grading and the service of APGrading!:D

Here is the Youtube video of me unpacking it!
    Oh.. and in case someone ever wants to make a solid thumbnail (Mine is.. yeah.. lets just continue ok?) for me, or help me out in any way with my Youtube channel.. I would really appreciate it, cause I am a bit in the dark with this entire thing.

Youtube video:

https://youtu.be/ztciVl-trFA

PS.
    I am still learning and working out what the best way it to record those kind of videos.
    Def not happy with the quality currently of my videos, but it is a process!:D
    farmerguyson likes this.
  11. can you explain what centering is?

as an old pokemon fan i really love this thread :p
    maybe i need to undust my old cards
    farmerguyson and Varua like this.
  12. Centering is basically how centered the card is, I know that is kicking in an open door.. but yeah!

The borders around the card, need to be exact the same size. (There is an certain % that is allowed to be off, how much that is.. Not sure!)
    If this is not the case, it is not a "centered" card.

To explain it easier, I googled!

How to grade centering? When grading Pokemon cards, one of the first things you should look for is how even or uneven the centering is. Ensure there is the same amount of yellow on all 4 sides for an evenly centered front. The back side requires an even amount of blue on all four sides.

Go undust them! Would really love to see them!:D
  13. is there any way to find out how rare cards are?
    I have no idea if i even have anything interesting to show
    Varua likes this.
  14. Holo and reverse and full arts are often the rarest cards. (they shiny!)
    But it all depends from which year & set the card is.

So, from which year(s) are you crads and which set(s)?
    From there you can continue to see how rare they are :)
  15. bottom left or right it usually shows a circle (common), diamond(uncommon) or star(rare) for cards. Their value is based on their pull rates within each set. I would filter out those cards that have a star, and then go through TCGplayer to check value/rarity
    UltiPig likes this.
  16. So i undusted my collection, it took more time than i expected.
    Had to order all the cards into the right sets.
    One of these days i'll start looking into it :)
    Here as some of my really old cards ;)

Obwangottemm likes this.
  17. Ive been collecting pokemon cards since about 96' 97ish and here is a pinch of the collection of 2 totes in the garage lol got alot of Team Rocket and Fossils. I remember as a kid the fossil packs being my go to.
    Varua and tamraaa like this.
  18. I have a question about some cards.
    As far as i understand reversed holo means the card is shiny, but not the picture of the pokemon.
    Normal holo, unshiny card, shiny picture.
    Right?
    Now i have this Chimchar from the diamond and pearl set. Which is a normal Holo card.
    But i can't find it's rarity/worth, only that of the reversed holo one. Anyone have an idea about this?
    Also got this mantyke that seems to be worth a lot, which i don't understand.

607 and Varua like this.
  19. Ooof, 1995-2000! the good old dayss
  20. this is an amazing collection! Holy crap! Really love that Mewtwo! And I see that cheeky Charizard!o.(o)
    Obwangottemm and tamraaa like this.