Please explain to me why...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PenguinDJ, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genuinely curious: why do you do that? I can see how quoting can be useful there but I don't see why you'd bid if you didn't want to win.
  2. I quote them because I prefer to have fun in auctions.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. to copy Dave Hester from Storage Wars(A&E tv show) & is fun
  4. This looks like it can turn into a fun thread.
    xXBuffa1oXx likes this.
  5. But what's the extra fun about quoting instead of just replying? im just asking not trying to bash pls dont hurt me
    ShelLuser and PenguinDJ like this.
  6. You mean this is all you could think of in responding to him? (Sarcastic)
  7. Haro you tell me, you're the one that quoted me.
    Salpai likes this.
  8. That was reflex and I do agree from a standpoint of trying to win the auction, it's not good to do. However, I did it just out of habit and I don't see the fun in it, and I can't justify doing it :)

9. This isn't an auction.
    For once, could you try to answer the question instead of asking another one? It is perfectly normal to quote people in threads like these because replies can easily be misdirected.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  10. He asked a question so I simply posed a question which would answer it for him. Easy to understand, easy to read.
  11. Cuz your a nub, that's why...
  12. I am actually not sure where my own thread went, lol.
    Sgt_Pepper4, ShelLuser and ThaKloned like this.
  13. Actually, can you link to the auction where I quoted you?
  14. I believe Fake Rhythmically was correct in saying that Sean was referring to this thread, not an auction... not quite sure why...

If I'm wrong please correct me.
  15. I think that the bid war is sometimes the most fun part of auctions. If I'm honestly trying to sneak through my bid at a low price, I won't alert the other person. If I'm bidding for fun I might. It also may speed things up by getting a faster response. I think things are different on auctions over 80k also, people come back to check anyways, so it's not like you'll sneak through.

The worst thing in the world was when I bid against skare I think, and he'd wait till the bid was almost over every other day and raise by the min... After a week I just gave up on the stupid item. Sure, it's effective, but if I didn't know him better in game already, I would of hated him until the end of time.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  16. #NubKnows
  17. I think it's not all the same reason and dependent on the auction and the bidder. In a Dirt(or similar) auction the tone that is set is of people poking at each other for fun. In an auction where people are trying to get a value, it is more likely a tactical or technical mistake.

A person may reply to the last bidder's post because it was the one that came up in their alerts. Or if they are using a phone they may not see a place to post and instead reply to the last post. You know those posts where someone quotes to a huuuuuge post without <snip>ping it? I think that seems to happen a lot more now as more people are using smart phones and tablets. Possibly because they can't properly preview what they are about to post or maybe they are new or just don't understand what they are about to unleash.

I've also wondered about the prices people pay in auctions. I often see auction items go for prices that a shop owner would take a lot of flack for. There was one recently where the items went for what I figure was about 5 times their worth, for example.

In addition to fun and competition, another reason I can I think of is that someone able to buy a high cost double chest of items is probably less likely to care about the price than someone looking for a few of those things. Other than that, it sometimes seems like people lose their ability to reason and do math when they participate in an auction.
  18. Bid War = More Income for the Seller + Bragging Rights for the Winner

simple as that.
    it's also taunts the previous bidder, which cycles back to what i wrote above.
  19. Fun? What fun is making yourself pay more prices just for a taunt? That taunt MAY cost 3k of rupees. Not. Fun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.