Players have rights too!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by copherfield, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No ! :D
    i personally really like the Live map. you can look for a certain Biome you are looking for or you can use it to explore the Town very quickly and see all the amazing buildings :)
    But to see where everyone is,... i myself don't use it for that purpose and i'm not interested in that. if i want to know a certain person where he is, I ask him myself :p

Code:
    /map hide for everyone means everyone. This includes griefers.
    I'm curious about hat... are everyones movements tracked and saved from the livemap? else i don't understand why it would be great for griefers to hide from the livemap ?!:confused:
    i thought : no screenshot = no proof the griefer or anyone else was there!
    or are you watching your hideout all the time via livemap to ensure no one gets near it?
  2. Some of the wilderness communities certainly do :)
  3. ah sure.. forgot about those :)
  4. Erm RaNi, paying for a nice spot in the wildeniss doesnt seem as such a big burden? I'd love to pay for a nice piece of protected ground in the wild! The price should be attractive but also repellant :D Just like with those [locked] signs!
    twinchicken86 and Squizzel_Boy like this.
  5. [sarcasm] I know, make the live maps completely a supporter only feature. Sure griefers can still use it, but they'll have to pay for the privilege. It's all-around win! [/sarcasm]
  6. There is a protected wilderness area already, where you can get a safe space to build. It's called the Town.

> No caves where you can't place torches and get killed by skeletons.
    > No ravines where you can't build a bridge to get across.
    > Protected from spillover of lava/water (creating cobblestone junk on the land).
    > Protected from trees grown right next to the land.
    > Protected from people building a giant hole right beside your lot that falls to lava or some kind of trap.
    > No one can build a giant player-trap to harvest 'player drops' on their lot.
    > Nobody has to walk past a bunch of lots when they go mining.

One thing I agree with is that having more space to build might be a good idea. Even Diamond Supporters only receive 4 lots, absolute maximum 240 x 240. There are spare lot numbers unused on each server. What about the creation of additional lots around the existing towns, which players must pay rent to keep?
  7. Currently EMC is only geared towards Town being safe. The reason for not allowing protection of areas in Wild has been addressed hundreds of times in other threads. Imagine the 1,500 residences in a Town jumbled and dropped randomly around the wilderness spawns, it would be an absolute mess.

I am not saying we will never add the ability to protect areas in the Wild, what I am saying is that the entire current EMC SMP concept was built around the foundation that the Wild is wild and Town is the safe place to build. Allowing for such protection has a great deal of obstacles we have to tackle. One of the thing that makes EMC so great is the organized, stable, easy to use system.

We are not a small server, so some of the more "traditional" things you see on other servers just simply wouldn't work for us. We have thousands of players daily across the EMC servers. Being as big as we are has its advantages (awesome community, great economy, etc), and disadvantages.

Staff is constantly looking at what to improve on (I spend the majority of my day programming new things) and the "grief" in the Wild is at the top of that list. What I can promise you is that we will only do things that are for the benefit of the majority of the community. I can also promise that each update we do release is well thought out and planned. If you want a unorganized server that just installs/uninstalls random plugins daily this prob isn't the place for you. There is only one EMC and there are tens of thousands of those types of servers.

As far as hiding on the live map being given to free members, I don't see that happening. Of course it would be great if every supporter perk was removed and given to everyone for free, and if anyone is dirty filthy rich contact me if you want to fund this. But the nature of what we are doing is very expensive to operate, and without supporters we would still be one server with < 20 limit.
    Twitch1, ob1bob69, kilmannan and 2 others like this.
  8. I have one of those servers right in my living room and guess where I spend most of my time--certainly not on my home server.
    JustinGuy likes this.
  9. A good way to minimise the effects of griefing without paying any rupees is to keep all of your valuables in your inventory when you go offline...
    Unless you're in the wilderness to build (which we all know is at our own risk), then stealing is the main harm from griefers, so if it's in your inventory, it's safe, at least when you're offline. :)
  10. What if someone's just filthy? :)

I feel that this thread is now at an end with the last word being had.

I am outta here. It's been fun!
  11. The griefer does look for players - Any griefer with any brains will zoom in on a player in the Wild to see what kind of structure they're in, then, if it's worth the effort to grief, they go in and grief it. That simple. Also, yes, this could be used as a griefer tool, but it would make griefers' lives a heck of a lot harder, in that they would have to search the livemap for suitable buildings. Thirdly, the livemap is an awesome tool, especially if you are lost and need to get back to Spawn. Also, if there were no livemap, the supporter perk would be gone as well. We are esentially having to pay real money for better anti-grief - No disrespect to Justin or any of the staff, but it's just not right nor fair, in my opinion.
  12. I love the way EMC works, i never asked for a protected area on wilderness, i never said i wanted so bad that to happen, i believe it would be epic but i know the server resources it takes to make something like that.

I totally support the idea EMC needs supporters every day, and i totally agree that you guys should everyday look for awesome ways to call more supporters and more players.
    Also i like the way you guys run this huge comunity.

BUT: I want to remember you, that the perks aint only /map hide, there are thousands of other *more important* perks that are ready for players (like more rupees, the reserved slot, the more residence etc..) i would give you thousands of perks ideas in order to fill those $$$ you need, i know you wont hear them, or maybe you don't like them but here something you can use, it will help you get more supporters, and if you give /map hide some freedom, that will help us too!
    I'm trying in all manners and ways to be a supporter of the EMC, not only for the perks but also because i love it. Just gimme some time ;)

Perks ideas (yeah i exchange this ideas with you for that /map hide)
    • As said on another thread, kicked for being AFK only applies for supporters each 5 minutes and only if server is full (for normal players it keeps 3 minutes even if server has free slots)
    • Diamond supporters get custom titles at forums
    • Supporters get a bigger vault (or 2 vaults)
    • Supporters don't pay vault fees
    • Gold + Supporters have access to tools like "worldediting" their residence
    • Supporters have discounts on their number (x) month being supporter payment
    • Diamond supporters can change their chat nick
    • Supporters get access to a supporters only shop/xp grinder
    • UTOPIA Wilderness has logblock or something like that.
  13. You guys are missing a point from the topic. I noticed that some of you posted things such as "I don't care if a griefer griefs me" how about when a player kills you? I think you wouldn't be happy if the player that killed you took your newly made Fortune pickaxe and your hard earned mined ores.
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  14. Rich people would spam the land, and nobody could mine or farm resources
  15. Limit it to, say, 5 chunks per person. That would solve the issue right there.
  16. That could also happen. And it probably will. Griefers will use the livemap for that stuff.
  17. 5 chunks per person...

1 chunk 16x16x128
    5 chunks 80x80x640

5 chunks per over 10k members = 64000000 blocks protected from sky to bedrock... sure, now go find your minerals way beyond the 10k outposts

I still feel ppl are out of their mind keeping on asking for a "protected wild" when you joined with the expressed knowledge that WILD IS NOT SAFE
  18. I feel that after all the threads regarding the issue that end up causing innecessary disagreement/drama. Admins should "BAN" the topics as "no more topics regarding this will be accepted" and make a sticky/news bulletin stating the "THIS IS WHATS GONNA BE".. end of story and utopic dreams
  19. Alright then, make chunks ridiculously expensive - 20,000r per chunk, say? And, for your third chunk and up, 50,000r per chunk? Hardly anybody has that much money.
    And, be able to buy 1/4 or 1/2 chunks at lower prices, like 5,000 per 1/4 chunk. Or even 2,500 for a 1/8 chunk. That would work.
  20. I bought the SMP1 dragon egg for 140k rupees... and that was within 1 month of playing, plus building my houses, paying workers to dig down to bedrock etc...

easily done if you know how to play the market
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.