Players have rights too!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by copherfield, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yes this is a nice solution :D
  2. might be a great solution, but that requires ppl to "donate/pay" for it... and ppl in this thread want it for free...
    Eclipsys likes this.
  3. Better than nothing.... :)
  4. I'd Pay!
  5. Justin has said that EMC will at some point look at options for land protection (Probably via a Rupee cost) out in the Wild, but again it's all about finding the fine line so that the Wild doesn't become cluttered with no-perms land tracts.

Oh, and hands up who's now sitting watching Darkwellor on Live Map to see what large tract of water he goes to?
    :D
  6. Protecting the wild will be epic, but the resources needed from server are going to be huge also
  7. ok, the only reason why i would "build" at wilderness even knowing "only place safe to build..." it's because there's lots i mine each time i go there, i must leave some of that stuff and bring with me only important things. I asked to ban someone recently, who found my friend (who was coming in my way) via livemaps, then just catched up to him and followed till an entrance to my little base (yeah this entrance is underwater, so you won't see it on livemaps -.-) after that he took stuff at his chest (my friend's) because it was not protected. Thanks god i reported (and told him i reported) otherwise, he would have stopped by next day to grief it all...
    SO yeah, thanks to livemaps my "secret" base is now kinda "public" idk you guys but this seems to be a fail.
  8. Bro, if it's not a problem, mind putting a little poll here?
    "Would you as supporter, be ok with other players having the oportunity to use /map hide"
    "1. Yes"
    "2. No"
  9. I vote yes. I don't mind.
  10. There's the rub.

You want to go into the Wild and mine its resources. So just like in real life, you're not going to be able to carry back everything you mine in one trip.

The options then to keep your stuff safe are:

1 - Get some friends along to help you carry it all back

2 - Only mine what you can carry, go back to Town and dump it, then return and repeat the process

3 - Buy a locked chest and store what you can't carry in there

Don't build a base. Just build what you need - A locked chest, a furnace or two and a workbench.

I don't think Non-Supporters should be allowed the /map hide for a variety of reasons.
    The biggest reason is that they are not supporting EMC.

The days of the early 1990's when everything on the internet was free are long, long gone. Everything has a cost. EMC has a cost. Without people paying to use EMC, guess what? It's either going to become a massive financial burden on the owners, massively restricted in size, or vanish like so many servers before it.

In order to get people to Support, perks are needed. /map hide is one such perk, and quite a valuable perk at that.

Take that away or make it default and you automatically lose EMC business. I can guarantee that there are people who went Supporter purely to get the /map hide ability.
  11. Essentially, yes. With the caveat that there exists a hierarchy of rights. The right to life being the primary right. Property rights rarely trump the right to life (lookup "Castle Doctrine" for an example of a time when property rights do indeed trump right to life) , but they certainly trump free speech rights. There's an old saying that "your right to free speech ends at my front door." This holds true whether the front door is an actual material door at my physical house or the door is a metaphorical "door" at my internet domain (and for the purposes of this debate, it makes no difference whether Justin owns the door or has merely been hired as a caretaker for the domain). In any case, just as I can toss you out of my house if you don't follow my rules (or I can toss you out for no particular reason at all if I'm inclined), the caretakers of EMC can toss you out if you don't like/follow their rules. Because Kalland Labs, LLC is a business and ostensibly hopes to make a profit, they accept feedback and can modify their rules if they choose; but don't make the mistake of believing that their best business interests convey upon you any special "rights."
    Twitch1 likes this.
  12. I don't live out in the wild to mine.
    If that is all i wanted, resources, then I can just buy them from players in town.

Living out in the wild actually make the game a whole lot more fun. At night the monsters come out!

You walk in the front door and there is a creeper waiting for you - eeek! Quick lure him away from my cows! etc.

Living in a place with no hunger and no mobs is too stale. Likewise living somewhere where other players can just destroy everything you have is also not enjoyable.

Is it too much to ask for a happy medium?
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  13. So what are you asking for then Tormunda? You're a Supporter so you can /map hide.

I'm not sure what medium you're looking for here, unless it's the grief protection aspect mentioned earlier?
  14. Well, i asked Justin to say this himself here for you guys, maybe he forgot of it or something, anyways:

At which i said:

- No answer from him.

I would love to add, that there are thousand other ways to make more perks for supporters.
    I will see what this poll goes on and we will see what COMUNITY says.
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  15. I think unless anything is said to the contrary, you can take it that the Live Map being a Supporter feature will not change.

EMC spend a lot of time looking at how to optimise the profitability of the Servers and are always cautious about implementing anything that will involve people handing over real money for it.

You can probably be certain that at the start when the discussion about how to encourage people to upgrade to fee-paying Supporters was had, that Live Map /map hide feature was one of the features agreed on to make that upgrade more enticing.

I can't see it changing and I wouldn't want to see it change. It works.
  16. And then we go back to: We should pay to hide from something that helps grifers lots and which we should have right to hide? so you say that just like in real life we should pay for some "extra" stuff i have something for you: when google finished the streetview project, had to pay money for lots of legal actions presented by people who was showen at those images (took by google cars) (http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/932-is-google-street-view-legal-.html)
  17. This is not Google. MC is not real life. There are certain aspects of Real LifeĀ© which you can bring over, such as:

"You can't carry all that stuff in RL, so you'd make multiple trips."

Bringing in RL legal instances is just pointless and does nothing to back up your stance that /map hide should be made available for everyone.

Having your house broken into because Streetview caught an image of your garage which was open showing your expensive car and gardening tools, having your home violated and perhaps your family attacked, doesn't quite represent MC and if you think it does, then, wow.

Besides, don't forget, as I said before but which no-one has focussed on:

/map hide for everyone means everyone. This includes griefers.

So will /map hide stop you from being griefed? Maybe a little. Will it make it easier for griefers to go on a rampage?

Yes.

Another reason why, perhaps, it's not available as a default privilege.
    ob1bob69 likes this.
  18. It is in responce to the OP's Topic :)

The map is used to help grief.
    Either grief needs to be tackled better or we put up sign posts saying "My pad is over here, please come grief it!"

The livemap is a great tool if your getting lost as the compass only points to the /town spawn, not to your last sleep spawn or anywhere else. However it is also a great too if your up to no good!
  19. I completely agree with that. I've put up numerous suggestions about ways to do this, but unfortunately, the most effective ones are the ones which are likely to put the most burden on the servers. It's something EMC does need to address, no argument here on that count.

If we were to lose Live Map completely, I probably wouldn't be too bothered about it.

When I'm in the Wild going to set up a new base, I just run until I find a spot that looks good. I'll sometimes reference Live Map if I want to find a specific biome, but that's about it.

However, going back to another posters line of debate, as long as Live Map exists, /map hide should remain a Supporter Perk. :)
  20. But following on from me saying it is a tool to help grief, then arn't we just saying : "Can't afford to pay Support - then we'll send in the griefers to get you!"

And /map hide doesn't help us supporters from being griefed as the griefer just looks for buildings.

The only person /map hide seems to help is the griefer who is watching you and hiding himself on the map until you log out.

In my opinion, no live map would seem better at the moment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.