Players have rights too!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by copherfield, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's pretty sad when people have to resort to cheating and using mods in the game to get what they want to do. Its strange how some people get enjoyment from a game by making others suffer...
  2. So, yeah shure it's a perk, but livemaps are an add-on, not part of the normal SMP experience, so if I would have to be supporter to hide from it, I would be paying to hide of something I never asked for.
    Also, my base its at level <~30 so I believe they won't see it under sea levels... ALSO, it's far enough to be hidden from X-rays. This is something we have the right to, just because it's something that's not part of the normal experience.

Btw: gimme 1 example of someone that got a griefer banned just by showing screenshots, please.
  3. Hi. i have no Problem with griefing. it sucks if it happens, thats for sure but hey its the rule of the wilderness. Lucky me, my wild place was found several times but there was only 1 little griefer yet who didn't do much harm to it.
    BUT the Livemap makes things different. It's very unlikely someone just stumbles upon your hidden outpost somewhere underground. it still happens though but chances for that are quite low (i remember myself finding a hidden lair myself by digging towards the suspicious loud noise of many spiders :D ). When everyone can see you where u exactly are and u tend not to move a bit for a few minutes they might go and check for that coordinates.

after i got visited by my little griefer i watched him on the livemap too to make sure he isn't at my place. what i could see was that he moved ~ 3000 blocks straight to someone on the livemap. he sure would have found him without it :confused:

Code:
    but if you make something that is so painfully obvious that it's a structure, start going underground, start making secret passages.
    yeah that really helps when they can see your coordinates and dig towards it :confused:

Code:
    magic key "F2"

use it or dont complain
    :confused: yeah as if they only grief when u are right next to them... ever thought about the possibility for a griefer waiting at your hideout until you log out? show me your magic F2 then

I'm not complaining about griefing and why RaNiSiMa is so aggressive about someone asking to shut down a "feature" :D
    It might be still the main reason for people to donate, so i can fully understand the staff for keeping it that way. Also it would offend the people who already paid for it . But i for myself don't want to pay to get rid of a "feature"

Code:
    its like taking a nap on an about to be bombarded area while at war... WHY WOULD YOU?
    wtf :eek:
    you really want to compare the wild with a bombardment zone at war ??? Seriously? btw. you have to sleep sometime. so yeah... almost everyone at war in a bombardment area will take a nap ! not their safest one but you have to sleep!

you want an example? here i am :D
    my little grifer got banned :) i had some screenshots as proof and so did some others too.

but i dont think most griefing is captured by screenshots, since it happens when you are offline most of the time.
    my griefer was just stupid enough to leave proof himself by trying to lock my locked chest :confused:
    nmanley and nnnnmc1 like this.
  4. LOLOLMAO :D:D
    I wonder what is he thinking.
  5. Ach, the argument goes in loops again.

Build in the Wild at your own risk.

Consider griefing part of the Wild. They're lawless mobs that roam to plunder and pillage.

I've been griefed (Not on EMC yet) in the past and I've just yelled my my monitor, shrugged and rebuilt.
  6. The only thing I consider is that it is worth supporting EMC because it is PVP and GRIEF free. That is what they advertise and those are the rules you sign up to.

If that isn't their goal and the goal of it's player base, then I can take my support elsewhere and leave you to grief each other silly.

Simple really.
  7. What's with the huff?

EMC isn't grief free, is it?

No MC server with any degree of freedom is grief free. It all comes down to how that griefing is dealt with. Currently in EMC, it's a bit prehistoric: "Screenshots." elsewhere, there are various systems in play which may or may not adversely affect the gaming experience.

Until EMC decides to go down a more permanent and suitable grief protection route, there is nothing we can do about it as a Community unless we want to set up guards 24/7 which wouldn't work anyway.

So the solution?

Incorporate it into your gaming experience.

Gamer: "I've been greifed! MOTHER***************************************************!!"
    Gamer In Character: "Oh no. My Village / Castle / Bunker / House / Pyramid / Fortress of Evil etcetc has been attacked and ransacked by bandits! I had best rebuild or flee to a safer territory!"

Also, friendly signs placed around always wind a griefer up.
    "Ha. Best you can do? Didn't get my diamond chests!"
  8. I believe If everyone where to have this ability, There would be no one on live map, essentially there wouldn't be a big point for live map.People would be almost "over exploring"...I see where you're coming from, but this is just not possible.Try Becoming A supporter, pay $5 a month that isn't much money these days.
  9. Very true. The point of the live map IS to show where everyone is... And If everyone could turn it off, There wouldn't be any less griefing... It would just make the live map a.... Map.. And those are in game!
  10. Yes, that Is exactly my point!:)
  11. I respectfully disagree. Perks are nice, but for some of us the main point in being a supporter is to help keep the lights on for all of us.
  12. You have very few "rights" on someone else's private property (Justin's servers). You have the right to leave if you don't like their rules, though. Even we voluntary supporters have precious few "rights." (People misusing the term "rights" really annoys me, and I have a right to not be annoyed."
  13. This...I agree and disagree with.

I don't think one can grief just by looking at the live map. Anyone can find my current location on SMP2 right now, and try griefing it, but it's so far away most would just pass the opporitunity, even though that area's got a megaton of coal in it. Griefer protection generally lies beneath the ocean, or extemely far away from the spawn. Heck, I've got a chest full of 3 diamond sitting around, but it's in some area of an occean, so who's going to honestly get it?

Hiding from the live map isn't really necessary, but it can be helpful, and that perk would probably be better off in supporters anyways. There's no harm it could do if anyone got ahold of it, but that just makes the Wild feel much easier than it does.
  14. Well, i agree a bit with what you say, but, if i go to your house, i loose the right of freedom of speech, or the most important, the right of life?
    Also, i would love to add that EMC servers are not owned by Justin and JEREMY (i believe that's the reason why they call themselfs admins and not owners=) EMC servers are owned by the donators (just like a company, whoever puts the money it's the owner, and whoever MANAGES it, it's the admin ) not trying to say they are not the creators and leaders, just trying to show my point ;)
  15. I have cleaned up this thread and reopened it as it is a good community discussion, lets try to keep it clean and passive. Debates are fine, insults and arguments aren't. :)
    Squizzel_Boy and copherfield like this.
  16. I say yes, BUT make it like 100 rupees to switch it on and off, and when you delete more than 50 blocks in a minute, it should show you on the map with Possible Greifer- Deleted many blocks Over their head. Maybe make the rupees higher

EDIT: I could be wrong, i mean 90% of griefers aren't supporters, so maybe like 500 rupees to get the ability to hide for 2 days?
  17. Personally, for every time I've been killed by lava, there's been several dozen times where others have come out to help me mine and wouldn't have found me if not for the live map. I've certainly been griefed when away, but it rarely takes much effort to fix the damage.

If you want a safe place to build, I recommend your lot. That's what it's there for.

If you absolutely love camping out in the wild and the survival challenge, build about 5,000 blocks away from the spawn point and use the nether to get there. Thus, you will only need to walk 625 blocks. Most griefers are not going to bother searching through the nether for your portal, or even think of that. Another idea is to build around one of the outposts, then you can get away with only venturing 2-3,000 blocks because you have substantially fewer griefers willing to visit you.

Ultimately, I think the main point of the wild is for mining and building should be done in your lot.
    shaunwhite1982, Dark_Liz and nnnnmc1 like this.
  18. Yup, that's exactly right. :)

I actually had to learn that the hard way myself when I started playing here. I built stuff in the wild, it got defiled, I grieved, and I learned not to build anything I love out there... only simple, functional bases for mining/exploring expeditions.

And doing that has led to me experiencing a whole lot less grief. Yay! :)
    nnnnmc1 and shaunwhite1982 like this.
  19. **ANOTHER SOLUTION**

What if JustinGuy would implement Cuboid, allowing the wilderniss builders to buy land in the Wilderniss and only give the people they trust perms to build.

I've seen a few servers on which you could simply buy a certain amount of cuboid uses for a price and place them somewhere on the map. The owner could then give perms to whoever he trusts to build with him. Griefers would only be able to walk trough the area but not be able to grief!

Is that a nice solution for you all :D?

~Ecli
    twinchicken86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.