My Work In Progress Game!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by finch_rocks_1, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Hey Everyone!

As Many of you know I am working on a Game, and I thought why not ask what everyone thinks I should add, and all. Keep in mind what you ask can only go so far as I am the only one working on it, and its a Side Project as is.

Note I am Not Doing;
    -Story Mode
    -Ideas that would destroy the game in any way
    -Unrealistic Ideas

What I have planned or working on already
    -Ingame Forge for gathering of items and using those items to build forts and safe zones,
    -Gathering of Supplies for Survival (Gas, Weapons, Cars, Foods, etc)
    -Large Map More Canadian Based, with Deep Forests, and small villages/towns/farms
    -Underwater Settings (Underwater secrets)
    -Old Mine Tunnels, and Caves

Here are 2 of my Newest Sreens of the Game

The Info of the game, I am using and will change, but is the Main First Description of the game;

Its a Zombie Survival with animals, But there is a Twist. in order to survive you have to search around the map for supplies, and build a fort. Then, once you have the fort you have to still go for supply runs for Food, Guns, Gas, and much more. Its everything you see in the TV Shows and Movies put into a game.

New Game-play Mode!

You are stranded on an island from a Boat crash. You have no clue what year or time it is, and you have no memory. You must find supplies to build your base of operations, but once you have that, you have to make supply runs for Gas, Food, Weapons, and Much more. The issue is, during the day, some areas are Guarded by Forces, that will either have you fight to your supplies, or sneak in to steal them.
    The only issue, is during the day, you could be faced with random storm from Acid Rain, to Mustard Gas, or just regular storms.
    During the night, no matter where you are, you are then attacked with forces of all kinds, that will damage your base, which will require you to get supplies to repair.
    The Goal is to Build your Base of operations, survive for as long as you can, and find supplies to help you survive the Harsh Day's and Even More Harsh Nights!

I am Also looking for Game Names, so feel free to suggest any names!
    I have Wilderness Survival Right now (Yes I suck at names)

I will also allow some players (Very good Friends Maybe Ingame, and real life for Beta Testing, but will require a Lot of work, not just getting it and playing it).

If you have any questions, or Comments, Post below!

~Finch
  2. So, 7DaysToDie, but prettier and less "Fallout"-style landscaping.

...Hate to break it to you, Finch, but that's not a twist. That's every zombie survival sandbox, ever.

Look, I don't want to discourage you from your game. Those are some very gorgeous screenshots and it kinda makes me want to go back and play Skyrim again. I know you'll probably call this an "idea that destroys the game," but frankly my best and only suggestion would be to say "get rid of the zombies" and do something a bit more original. Zombie games have been done to death, risen from the grave, shot in the head, and left to rot until their stale corpses become topsoil for the next horde.

Don't be part of the horde. Do something fresh.
  3. Name Contributions

Outbreak
    Wasted Land
    Life After Death
    Life Amongst Death
    Remote Access (This might be good if you have a heavy technical aspect, as in machines and stuff)
    The Beginning

(If you need any assistance with item creation, I imagine I could help out quite a bit with that. I'm not necessarily artistic, but I can likely help out with the conceptual aspect. Also I'd be down to Beta Test, even though I aint talk to you much anymore)
  4. like?

And yes nicer than the 7daystodie and all.
  5. AHA I FOUND IT
  6. Hey, it's your game. But off the top of my head:
    • Easiest change, just make the "zombies" into some other kind of monster. Aliens, demonically possessed wildlife (maybe only at night), horrible Lovecraftian eldritch abominations for which there is no name - you get the idea. Basically "Anything other than boring ol' undead humans." At the very least, The Last Of Us put an original spin on it with the cordyceps fungal strain.
    • Nature is your enemy. Idyllic forests swept by sudden violent storms - flash floods in creeks, temperatures drop, lightning storms require you to seek shelter - make the environment dangerous and you won't need random monsters.
    • "After the fall of Man" - Human civilization peaked thousands of years ago, and collapsed. You are what comes next - a new intelligent species discovering the remnants of the old. Maybe an extraterrestrial explorer, who got Voyager's gold record a few millenia too late. Instead of present-day skyscrapers and cars, give those human ruins a sci-fi twist.
    • A sort of "alternate reality" where rifts or zones of corruption are appearing and twisting/distorting the world into horrible dangerous things, and it's your task to find a way to seal them up (or at least survive the desolation that follows). Maybe too ambitious?
    Just saying, the "Zombie Survival" genre has been so highly saturated that even reading the word zombie caused my eyes to roll and my brain to cringe. Maybe that's on me - some people love zombies and can't get enough, but I'd wager trying to spark interest in yet another ZSS is like trying to sell Elon Musk an electric car.
  7. It is a very nice game from those 2 screenshots, but I do agree with Kephras that the twist isn't anything special. What engine are you using to make this?
    607 likes this.
  8. Cryengine. You can see the logo on the second screenshot.
    607, finch_rocks_1 and Shadow_Dcord like this.
  9. That explains why it's so nice. Also explains why I didn't see it, that's where I put my thumb on my tablet.
  10. The aliens and tech robotics worlds won't work too well. I can and already have storms.

I can work in trying to split the game into zones to gave it like hunger games 2 weather and environments.

But not sure how I could make that into a single player game.
  11. PM me, for my magnum opus idea for my own game, maybe you can draw inspiration from it?
  12. It's loyalty free so no worries to pay them funds like other engines.
  13. Got a New Idea on Gameplay Mode... Thx

I will update with a little info later, but have a clear vision on how it could work in my head.
    fluffinator09 likes this.
  14. Thanks, Kephras, for your ideas. :)

A correction to the OP: in the paragraph on beta testing (I tried quoting it, but it didn't really work out on mobile), the closing parenthesis is missing.
    Kephras likes this.
  15. Fixed.

Also for the new theme of the game!

You are stranded on an island from a Boat crash. You have no clue what year or time it is, and you have no memory. You must find supplies to build your base of operations, but once you have that, you have to make supply runs for Gas, Food, Weapons, and Much more. The issue is, during the day, some areas are Guarded by Forces, that will either have you fight to your supplies, or sneak in to steal them.
    The only issue, is during the day, you could be faced with random storm from Acid Rain, to Mustard Gas, or just regular storms.
    During the night, no matter where you are, you are then attacked with forces of all kines, that will damage your base, which will require you to get supplies to repair.
    The Goal is to Build your Base of operations, survive for as long as you can, and find supplies to help you survive the Harsh Day's and Even More Harsh Nights!

There is more, but dont want to give too much away before i finish the game, or even make the first Video Trailer of the Game!
    Jelle68, TomvanWijnen, 607 and 2 others like this.
  16. That sounds better to me, already. :)
    Another thing, is that there should be some kind of progress. Not necessarily a fixed story (although story elements could help, if you're still mostly free in what to do), but new events happening now and then, or another stage of your life starting.
    Otherwise, I feel like this might quickly grow stale. I think Don't Starve also had this problem at its core: the goal is not to die, and if you actually do manage not to die for a while, things can get repetitive. What makes Don't Starve better, is the seasons, I think. A new season, means new resources, changed environments, and new enemies.
    You say 'you have no idea what year or time it is', but the character can definitely be given an idea of what time in the year it is. At the start of the game, it might be the end of summer, and you must get your stuff together before the autumn storms begin.
    But during autumn, you need to stock up on gas and food, as winter will be cold (doesn't seem as likely on a tropical-looking island, but whatever).
    In spring, there might be a raid of some animal species, trying to overtake your base. This shouldn't be unexpected, but it could be introduced by them appearing close to your base at the end of winter, and some occasional attacks at the beginning of spring, before they gather all together to try and get the better of you.

Just some suggestions that might inspire. :)
    The general idea: create some sort of structure, so that there keep being things to look back to and to look forward to, instead of every day being largely the same!
    TomvanWijnen and Kephras like this.
  17. Story lines would take me years to program so won't happen. As for seasons it's impossible as only way would to rebuild map 4 times for the 4 seasons. Not only would it take years it would also make the game file over 200 gb..
  18. Keep in mind I am the only one working on it doing all the models code and building. On top of that the map is 256km squared so doing detail on that takes a while alone.

I can add clues to what year it is and what happened if I had someone good with 3d models and texturing.

With the map this large there are areas that would take player days to get to on foot.
  19. Seems like a cool game
  20. Tiger is disappointed with you, Finch.

There is absolutely no cause to get snippy and defensive with 607. He was simply making a suggestion toward what he thinks (and I agree) would benefit the game. If something is too difficult to code or model, then so be it - there's no shame in admitting something is beyond your (current) ability.

However, there is shame in a game developer - whether alone or with a team - who cannot handle criticism (let alone friendly suggestions - there was nothing at all "criticizing" in 607's post) in a courteous manner. You posted this thread, specifically asking for suggestions, input, and I quote:
    Getting upset with someone for doing exactly as you asked is hypocritical in the extreme, and especially unfair to 607 who was nothing but polite in his post. (I'm sure you'll admit, I on the other paw was far more critical of the initial concept).

Let me be clear, I have done game development work myself, both in a personal and professional capacity. I have left many dead projects behind, which collapsed under the weight of being "too ambitious" and not knowing my own limits. It is admirable that you understand the scope of work involved. Not everyone has that experience.

I'm curious to see where this game goes, and the revised concept does pique my interest. That said, if you're unable to handle the very critiques and suggestions you solicited, perhaps it would be better if you had the thread closed.