My Work In Progress Game!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by finch_rocks_1, Aug 15, 2017.

1. The reason for my response, is i have already stated what i dont want, and cant do, and ontop of that, people seem to ignore the game, and everything i have stated and use criticism against what i have for the game, and suggest/comment about stuff that goes too far beyond my skills.

I have also stated that the game is in C++ as well as the map size, and that along takes long time to build on the detail side.

I have suggested this thread to a few, but none of them read due to the criticism comments here, so all i am asking is to more or less stick to reasonable stuff.

Think of the stuff that is being asked... For a game like GTA took 8 years with 150 workers and 480 million...

I am a College student (Not in Programming) working on this as a side project, who is also very busy with other projects, and real life as well.

I can take the criticism, but when it goes beyond realistic for what i wanted for the game, or what i am able to do... then, dont suggest it with a very long rant.

I am looking for more ideas on what stuff to be added to map (Objects, sections, weathers, weapons, etc).

Hope this makes more sense

Also was not directed at 607. It was directed at others, on thread as well as many players ingame who wont stop spamming my pm's about negative comments about it.

~Finch
    _Devil__ likes this.
  2. Fair enough. I don't want to derail your game thread with unnecessary arguments, so some quick bullet points should suffice:

• You quoted 607 and a good portion of your post seemed directed squarely at his ideas. If it wasn't directed at him, perhaps don't use the Quote feature next time. ;)
    • Literally everyone has a "brilliant idea" for a game, or several, and if they can't make it happen on their own (99.9% of everyone), the next solution is to tell someone else who they think can make their game into reality. Most of those people have no idea how much actual work is involved in creating a game, or if they do, lack the motivation and drive to see it through. There are a number of ways to deal with that, and I assure you that petulant, passive-aggressive words like
      is not a good method to employ. You will quickly alienate people that way, and indie game devs especially rely on positive word-of-mouth in order to get the word out about their works. That is a poor way to "handle criticism." If the idea isn't something you can use, smile, thank them for their opinion or suggestion, and promptly forget about it.
    • Addendum: Gamers in particular are a vocal, demanding, obstinate bunch, and prone to being very negative about anything they dislike*. If my experience on the FTL and Empyrion forums has taught me anything, it's that EMC is tame like a golf green when it comes to user feedback. If things here are getting under your skin that badly, then drop everything and run like hell, because no way are you going to be able to handle the jungle.
    • If you have specific topics you're looking for feedback or suggestions on, update your OP to reflect that. It's worded very vaguely right now, and you can hardly fault anyone for "not reading" when what's there is so open to interpretation. "Game objects, areas / environments" is much more precise than "what do you think I should add?"
    Again, let me just add that I do wish you luck with your game and look forward to seeing it progress. Please take my words in the spirit they are intended - advice from someone who's walked in those shoes.

*Yep, me too. *holds up paw in shame*
  3. Bump

If I can fix my Domain issue so i can make more domains, I will be going and making a site with screens, Info, Suggestions, and Much more for the game as well as for helping keep track of bugs, and progress of the game.
  4. Found a couple typos while reading the OP, highlighted in red :)
    Also the capitalization is a bit weird, but it isn't that annoying :p

As for suggestions, from reading the OP, I would definitely suggest adding a military base, as well as a larger city. They would both be high risk/high reward scenarios (more enemies in those locations), and I think they would add a lot to the game. I would also suggest making it so that if your base is well hidden, it would be less likely to be attacked. (Example of this pseudo-coded below)

Code:
    // fyi my background is in C#, if any part of this confuses you, let me know :P
    // the thing below \/ is a method/function, by the way (not sure what its called in C++)
    public void Detection (Vector3 baseLocation) { //baseLocation is just the coordinates of the player base, not sure how cryengine deals with coordiate variables
        foreach (object settlement in Settlements){ //Settlements is a list of all inhabited locations, eg towns, farms, animal dens
            if ((settlement.x - baseLocation.x <= 500 | settlement.x - baseLocation.x >= -500) & (settlement.y - baseLocation.y <= 500 | settlement.y - baseLocation.y >= -500)){ //if the base is close enough to a settlement (on both the x and y axes)
                chanceForEncounter++; //raise the chance for an encounter
            } else {
                chanceForEncounter--; //otherwise, lower the chance
            }
        }
    }

NINJA EDIT: wow it's annoying writing this stuff outside of an IDE, I've been spoiled by automatic indentation :c

I'm really interested to see how development on this game goes, it seems quite ambitious, but with dedication I can definitely see it becoming a reality.
  5. Just thought I'd mention that most people haven't ever coded anything, let alone a game, so they don't know how complicated it might be to code a certain thing. Something that seems simple to the uncoded-mind, might seem like terror to someone who does know the code. People often completely misjudge the amount of easy or difficult code something might take. Please keep this in mind when making, and when reviewing suggestions. :)

As for your game, I'm looking forward to see what's going to come out of it. :) The graphics already look stunning, so that's a definite plus. ;) I personally wouldn't mind it if it's a massive game (file size), but for others with less space on their harddisk and slower internet it might be more of a concern.

Good luck, and have fun creating it. :)
    ShrinkingMatt and 607 like this.
  6. There does not seem to be anything in the spoiler lol.

Also I wanted to have a small city but getting the models of the buildings are the issue. Either you buy the. And spend over 500 for a small city as there are no free ones or you make them and spend months. I am not too good with models so it's a bit on the hard side.

As for the military base I can do a standard base but nothing complicated as the models are the issue again.

Most of my models are more for country styles and small towns with abandoned areas.

As for the capitals they are there as they are pointing out key points and the grammar is as I don't want to give it all away.

It will be semi hard to program if it's well hidden as it would have to be included on all hostile as well as to define what is hidden.
  7. There is, it's in a code block.

Why? Can't you call the function once (or once every time changes are made to the base), store the variable, and let the hostile mobs use that variable? You don't need to recalculate it every time for every instance. :)
    The main problem I see with such a system is that it might be easily exploitable, if people find out what's used to define how hidden a base is. If your game doesn't have a huge playerbase it might not be an issue, but there could be a post like "Use these cheap supplies in this set-up to make your base virtually unfindable".
  8. You can't see it on a vertical phone. You need to either turn your phone horizontally, or watch it on a bigger device. :)

edit: fixed small error.... I was tired when I wrote that :p
    607 likes this.
  9. Horizontally, I suppose? ;)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.

10. And you can tell by the fort but I thought they ment how well hidden it is in the say forest.

I can however do what you said but I can see people finding bypasses. Then comes were people will use it to not fight so then would have to add say sound so if say the generator is running they will hear it and be able to find it. Or if someone is rubbing the car engine.
    607 likes this.
  11. Just thought of a Name... Let me know what you think;

Here Alone

Story is as your alone on an island, only the forces that are trying to kill you are there. There is no other human there on your side, so you are Alone on an island, so why not Here Alone.
    (Note only makes sense really for Single Player. Multi Player, sure there are others, but all got there and was there alone).
    607 likes this.
  12. see if this works
    Code:
    // fyi my background is in C#, if any part of this confuses you, let me know :P
    // the thing below \/ is a method/function, by the way (not sure what its called in C++)
    public void Detection (Vector3 baseLocation) { //baseLocation is just the coordinates of the player base, not sure how cryengine deals with coordiate variables
        foreach (object settlement in Settlements){ //Settlements is a list of all inhabited locations, eg towns, farms, animal dens
            if ((settlement.x - baseLocation.x <= 500 | settlement.x - baseLocation.x >= -500) & (settlement.y - baseLocation.y <= 500 | settlement.y - baseLocation.y >= -500)){ //if the base is close enough to a settlement (on both the x and y axes)
                chanceForEncounter++; //raise the chance for an encounter
            } else {
                chanceForEncounter--; //otherwise, lower the chance
            }
        }
    }

As you pointed out in another post, it would be good to add detection for things like sound and such, and AFAIK, the major issue from programming any of this in comes from making detection values for everything. It should be fairly easy to add in new methods of detection into this system.
    finch_rocks_1 and 607 like this.
  13. Bump,

Looking for thoughts on the name...

14. Definitely an interesting name, although if there are other creatures trying to kill you, it doesn't really feel like it fits IMO
  15. Any thoughts on names that could work?

The reason for Here Alone, is it does not include all the hostiles on the island. It just includes you and only you among the island. I thought by adding all the monsters in the title, it may sound a bit odd. Then there is the fact of not trying to use a name of another game.
  16. I would suggest the name being more about the location than the things (or lack thereof) on it. I agree that it's pretty difficult to find a good name for it though, I'm typing a lot of my ideas into Steam and getting results :p

The only idea I could come up with was Stranded Island, but I feel like it would be easier to come up with more if we knew a bit more about what type of enemies there would be, if you're okay with sharing that
    607 and finch_rocks_1 like this.
  17. I will send a pm when I am not on my cell.
    zYang_ likes this.
  18. I will admit that I did not read all the previous posts in their entirety, as I have just gotten home a short time ago, and am now dozing after eating dinner. A few thoughts that jumped out to me was that you said it would take place in Canada? And was on an island, and there was to be some intrigue associated with it.

I was just curious if you have ever heard of...The Curse of Oak Island, which I believe is actually in Canada, and has a lot of questionable lore that you may could tie into your current story-line somehow. If not, maybe just considering some of the mind boggling complexities that comprise Oak Island, maybe these could give you some potential ideas. I would probably comment more if I were not so tired, but do find it cool that you are making a game :)

Keep up the good work.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
  19. The oh issue is to make sense I would have to make a replica of the island. The main and only part is the forest and terrain is Canada based. All villages houses and much more is fake and does not exist.

Also that island is no where near me irl. My dad's on a haunted island in ontario today for some demolition work. Hehe

And as stated in op and many times I am not doing a story line. It's just not possible.
  20. Working on making a Home page, as well as Forums, and Dev Tracker for the game. Sadly the site i had caused too much ram usage on the server (100% of .5GB for one person). So I am looking into other setups that will work on the server.