momentus sends me underground

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Acemox2k, Jul 26, 2016.

1. I went hunting last night at NHG. I'm up at 59 levels currently (and 11 wither skellie skulls woo hoo). The 59 levels are yours if you want them Ace. Just hit me up :) If you need more levels, I can get more and you're welcome to come with me. It's kinda amusing; I build all these grinders and I use the hunting grounds for XP LOL. What can I say? I find grinding boring, and I'd rather fight :)
    SirTah, ChickenDice, Acemox2k and 2 others like this.
  2. It shouldn't teleport you somewhere "safe", meaning far away from him; it should just teleport you directly up onto the surface (same X & Z coordinates, but the next Y coordinate up where you're not suffocating). You'd be pulled to his exposed chest in that case, instead of his buried feet.
    Acemox2k likes this.
  3. which would make it where you can hit him but he cant hit you
    Uber_Corq, Acemox2k and ShelLuser like this.
  4. I don't think there's a best solution here.

At first I was thinking "maybe it should not pull players in when it's below ground" but we all know what that would result in: setting up a trap and then killing it. You may trigger the "reduced drop" protection, but even that can be somewhat circumvented. And because it wouldn't pull you in you might even be able to shield yourself from the guardians by raising dirt walls and leaving some open room between you & momie.

Thing is: you can get some pretty solid rewards, but what good is that if you don't get to take some pretty serious risks?

Unfair? I tend to agree. My alter-ego was also on the verge of a rage quit when their armor disappeared (and that death even happened above ground). Just like I think that fighting an Elder Guardian is also often unfair. And don't get me started on Marlix.

But on the other hand I also think it comes with the territory; calculated risks.
    Patr1cV, Acemox2k and khixan like this.
  5. As ShelLuser said the teleport is a means to prevent players from farming Momentus.
    Uber_Corq likes this.
  6. Sorry to hear this. It's always the worst feeling to lose something you worked hard on, especially so soon from making it. I'd be more than glad to go hunting with ya to help regain your xp levels. Whether it be dragon killing, quartz mining, or whatever, just hit me up :)
    ShelLuser, khixan and Acemox2k like this.
  7. If him being slightly underground means he can't damage you without suffocating you, then he is broken. In that case, his spawning needs to be fixed, or it needs to be that he teleports a few blocks up as well when he pulls you in.

So, when the "grabbing" code is triggered, it checks if it would suffocate you. If it wouldn't, it just behaves normally. If it would, then it sends you to the surface above that spot instead, and sends Momentus himself there too. Then you're both on the surface and you can both damage each other without you suffocating.

----------
    Just to make sure this wasn't in reply to my suggestion, I want to be clear that I am not suggesting that there be no teleport, just that the teleport doesn't trap you inside solid blocks.
    ShelLuser and Acemox2k like this.
  8. I have noticed that when momentus spawns he stays where he appears (in a mountain, in a lake, wherever) until he goes into battle mode where he then begins to move in your direction. Is it possible for the code to check, upon being spawned, for conditions like being partially/mostly underground or a specific relationship to the ground that would motivate momentus to start walking in a random direction until he found a decent condition in relation to the ground level (unless or until attacked) to change the teleport spot to an acceptable, maybe suffocation survivable area?

in short, let momo move. maybe he will be in a lake taking a swim for a bit then he might walk through or over a mountain. He might even just stare and watch the sunset but he will move to get out of a mountain or stop drowning in a lake. Just a little bit of code to help him find a better spot for him do battle with us.
    ShelLuser likes this.