Mob spawning rate decreased?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by AlexC__, May 29, 2012.

1. Kind of disappointing people are abusing EMC servers thinking the servers have "unlimited" power.
    Nole972 and melodytune like this.
  2. This is so true. It completely ruins the vanilla feel of the servers :(

PS. See you tomorrow Pabster! Sorry I've not been on much this week. Has Lucy been around?
    thecontroller likes this.
  3. Nope. Just me and my pick. Update: 11:58PM - Just saw my first mob of the day! The rare and endangered creeper.
  4. Finally got back on EMC, expecting creeper先生 to hug, and what's this?

Torches and weapons are now overrated.
  5. And i need my mobs :/
  6. Yeah I'm sure something is still wrong, as I built a large dirt platform last night and there was def spots that should of been spawning monsters, but it wasnt...
  7. Justin will be driving to another state (moving) this weekend, but I told him of the issue. He's not 100% sure what would cause it other than mob grinders being over used, but when he gets settled into his new home, he'll have a bit more time to investigate.
  8. No, there is no static cap, its based on a formula that is based on the number of active chunks in the world.

So the more spread out people are in the wild, the higher the cap.

It's roughly 80 monsters per player in the wild, but when they are close to each other, they share some of their 80.

As far as I know, we have not even updated to the latest bukkit that has that config setting.

RAISING That setting is one of my suggested changes to justin to fix the mob cap issues, in combination with the chunk capper plugin d1223m wrote for EMC.
  9. While tons of monsters in a grinder does use more resources, I wouldn't say its such a drastic impact as your post kind of makes it look like. While it does add lag, and definitly people shouldnt do it, the main damage caused currently is the world caps..

But with that new bukkit setting and the plugin d1223m wrote to my specs, these 2 in combination will solve both issues...

People will no longer be able to cap the worlds monster count, and nor will they be able to build large pools wasting server resources.

People will be blocked from being greedy, and make AFK'ing for long periods of time useless.
    Runewulf likes this.
  10. I can not say enough good things about the folks making this fix happen. Thank you guys. It is highly anticipated by many!
    roblikescake likes this.
  11. I just built a double skelly farm went afk for an hour, I came back expecting at least 100 skellys.
    There were only 4! checked farm to see if there was a block or missing water. There was none when I looked inside the skelly inside the spawner was spinning round really fast and the room was completely dark waited for 5 mins watching the spawner and no skelys where spawning. :( hope this gets fixed.
  12. Darn, i have to share mobs with you now :(
  13. You may want to read Aikar's previous posts in this thread along with this: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/attention-exp-point-grinder-users-read-texp-leaders.6665/

I had a mod pop in on me at a grinder yesterday and tell me to keep my mobs below 100. I hit f3 and saw I had 45 in the grinder. He mumbled something about reading the wrong line and left... I'm getting the impression that AFKing is pretty common behavior and he assumed that if I was running a grinder, I was letting it go while I played TF2 or D3 like so many other people evidently are.

Regarless of how many were in your grinder when you came back an hour later, you didn't monitor it and you could have just as easily had 4000. Based on Aikar's comment above, even your 100 skeletons would have been 20 too many and could have had an impact on the game for other players.

We should be able to police ourselves without having to rely on Justin to install software that kicks us or limits us. The more code that's added, the more likely we'll have new bugs to deal with.

Also, since you just built this, try checking your water paths to make sure your sekeles aren't getting hung up on any corners you're turning or drops you made to join them together. You could also try blocking them one at a time to test individually.
  14. It seems as if im the only supporter with out a blaze grinder :(
  15. Nahh, I don't have one... yet.
  16. I would have expected mr.cake to have one
  17. Soz i hadn't read Aikar's post before I wont do it again.
    I checked all water streams and there was nothing wrong. I have build many xp grinders before and all worked fine so i think its a glitch.
  18. I don't really do that much enchanting, but I do use a double zombie spawner.
  19. wilderness is pretty boring without monsters around :l might just go play the new snapshot or something :l
  20. So to fix this you can do a third ring of sticky pistons, on the top layer this time? With Ethos' design? Darn, this is going to send my service prices sky high, not to mention fixing ones I have already made. Are they entitled to not pay me for this?