Manners & Grammar

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Xinn, Feb 12, 2013.

1. I like that. Simple.
  2. I have a question for you. Totally being sincere and not trying to attack you.
    Is English your native language? If so, do you have difficulty with speaking as well as writing?

I am not going to correct your grammar or spelling mistakes, you are not trying to be funny here. I am legitimately curios is all.

My wife is Honduran/Cuban she speaks Spanish natively but she never got a formal education so she misspells words of her own native tongue as well. I am helping her to learn English but it is not an easy language in its own right. I correct her spelling/grammar to assist her. I do not condescend her for it as I am well aware of her struggle as I am the only person she has to practice her English with.

I am not an English major nor am I a Spanish major. I am just a U.S. Army Soldier who has taken the time not to consider every piece of the Earth I stand on as "'Merica!". I pride myself in my ability to properly speak, spell, type and read English and Spanish at the levels of understanding I have.
  3. what irks me more then grammar sergeants is being harassed over posting in "old threads" ive posted in three so far all with relavent information or questions pertaining to the post and been met with "its incredibly rude to bump old threads" and similar speak so then my options as a new player when i want to ask people things through the forum become make a new post with the question/comment as the topic, dont post on forums at all cause something might be more then four days old (yes i was reprimanded for bumping a four day old thread), or solely communicate through pms on players that might no longer get on.

its rather frustrating that there are so many forum police here, although i can see when they become necessary for the most part it derails whatever question i had and bumps the "necroed" thread anyways
    Curundu likes this.
  4. *curious I couldn't stop myself...
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx and Twitch1 like this.
  5. When I was a kid, my older sister had chickens. Sometimes I would visit and help her take care of them. I especially liked taking care of the chicks when she got them in the spring.

Every once in a while one of them would get sick or weak. Other chickens would see this and they would peck at the weak one. As the chicken got weaker, others would join in. The sick one would have its feathers pulled off and become too weak to stand. We would eventually find it dead under the heat lamps.

There are many people both on the Forums and in game who seem to take great pleasure in finding a weakness in someone and pecking at it. Watch an "I was banned." thread. Rather than getting help, you generally just see a parade of comments telling the poster that he did something wrong. Within minutes too. It's a race to get a comment in before the thread is closed.

There are others who just follow rest of the flock. Someone says something. Someone else points out their flaws. The OP tries defending themselves and pretty soon they are backed into a corner with everyone piling on.

I shouldn't have to point out too many examples for you to know what I'm talking about. I'd bet that with most of these incidents, an open mind, a kind word, or a different way of phrasing a thought might have changed the course of the thread.

It's easy to get caught up in these things. I've done it myself and I realize most of us are kids. But I'd like to think that most of us can behave better than chickens.
  6. Simple way for you all. So take note. What i am saying is not coming a cross to you so here it is

Right i am putting my foot down If you correct me i will take it as harassment. I do not need or want everyone jumping at me. If you can read it then it is fine. If not just ignore it or get a mod to remove it. Simple.

Because you are doing it to each other right now with correcting each others words the next thing you will be doing is writing out each other sentences. I dont know why maybe you have OCD. But also taking up post space. Plus it is stupid.

And some like to take the piss by giving examples like so

I have quoted this as none of you will listen or understand a person.

So that is why i said " If you correct me i will take it as harassment " I just prove my point

I have quoted this to go with the above sentence

7. I corrected Twitch1 as a joke, I guess it wasn't taken that way.
    jkjkjk182 and xI_LIKE_A_PIGx like this.
  8. The "Forum Police" make me want to punch them in the face at times. The general rule used to be "Do not bump a thread if it has the red warning." Everyone followed that, there were a few times that the threads were bumped. Suddenly it became a "crime" to bump a thread that was months/days/weeks old OR you were told not to bump a thread when it was made to be bumped. Example: I posted in the EMC art thread once to revive it and show a drawing I did. Yes there was a red warning but it's Stickied and made to be bumped. I was told by the "Forum Police" not to bump the old thread and I told the person "This thread is made to be bumped, It's for everyone to post their work because it would be a waste to post 30 threads full of art." It's really a waste for 5+ people to then post "Omg dude y u bump old thread!?"

I've seen this too and it really irks me. I've seen a couple threads that were along the lines of "Hi I was banned and I can't remember how to PM the staff. How do I do that?" and the person was met with 5+ posts basically going "OMG DUDE YOU JUST LOWERED YOUR CHANCES OF BEING UNBANNED OMG DUDES LIKE OMG YOU ARE SO DUMB! GTFO" just like the 5+ people who have to post "Omg dude y u bump old thread!?" when someone bumps an old thread.

Aww that's sweet Twitch :) This is somewhat what I had in mind when making this thread. There are those people like your wife, who need help with English and are being met with jerks who just assume they are 12 year old kids would can't be bothered typing properly.

I won't name him (I'm sure he'd name himself or everyone automatically knows who I'm talking about) but I talk to a kid from Paraguay everyday on Skype and in game. He struggles sometimes with English and I struggle with Spanish and sometimes we both struggle with both. We still get along and we don't rage on one another for messing up.

I guess also to add to OP:
    I didn't include it at first but I couldn't figure how to word it or didn't want to come across offensive, but there are also those who don't learn as well as others and struggle with spelling. I've known people with ADHD/ADD who couldn't spell yet I could understand them just fine. They got flack for it from other people and then refused to interact with anyone due to it. There are also those who don't have the education that most people do. Back when my grandparents were growing up and into adulthood most of the time they never completed school because they were out working in the fields, my parents are in their late 40's/early 50's and never finished school because their parents still had this mindset and had them out working fields. They were always asking my sister and I how to spell words because they were unsure. Still do at times. My husband is 31 and hates doing it but always asks me to proofread anything he has to hand write due to struggling in school as a kid and never getting help.
  9. I got the joke and I laughed at it. :) Fixed yours as well. ;)

Just found out why I wasn't corrected by auto-correct:

cu·ri·o [kyoor-ee-oh]
    noun, plural cu·ri·os.
    any unusual article, object of art, etc., valued as a curiosity.

Had no idea the meaning of this word or that it was the reduced word for curiosity. :)
    HylianNinja and PandasEatRamen like this.
  10. You've probably seen curio cabinets before. I imagine that's where the name came from: https://www.google.com/search?q=cur...qYCoDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1336&bih=590
    Twitch1 likes this.
  11. Right on! Never knew that is what they were called. :)
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  12. :O Thats just so horrible, and here I thought chicks were cute fuzzy little things, and instead they slaughter their weak brothers for the heck of it. I think a little happy part of me just died inside :....(
  13. I peck my sister all the time muhahahaha.

chickens are Satans birds btw, their evil just ask panda.
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  14. Chickeneer feels your pain ;(
  15. YES! I caught a woman!
  16. Just thought I would bump this and add something that I saw today. "You need to stop using xD because it is annoying." I have never really had anyone tell me this or seen anyone say this until I joined EMC.

I think before telling someone something like this, you should stop and think "Is there something that I type that people might find annoying?" Some people use xD a lot when they laugh because everyone wants to complain about people using lol or lmao or anything like that. Some people may feel that others spam the emotes we get to use on the forums. (I'm not talking about Twitch's post above with like...3 in it.) If your post looks like so:

"xD That was an awesome day." Then I don't see an issue. If it looks like ":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D That was an awesome day." then I could see that as issue and as spam.

Sorry if my post doesn't make sense. I just woke up. But basically what I'm saying is I don't understand the hate on the xD emote yet the forum emotes are fine and dandy. I have seen people rage over lol at people yet seen IcC use it and everything is fine and dandy.
  17. Very true. When im in-game or usually even on the forums im not gonna use proper grammar! Its a social community, I shouldnt have to talk like im typing a college paper for crying out loud. People talk the way the feel the need to, Its who they are. People need to just chill.
    AlexChance likes this.
  18. to be honest, i hate grammar, and u will rarely see me capitalize letters or right out words like 'you' and 'are', but i do try to spell things correctly and make them grammatically correct (even tho i usually fail XD), unless in something formal or for school, in which case i wud try to make it as perfect as possible. Also, i say XD ALOT, and i also say alot, when i have recently been informed that it is 2 words, a lot, rather than 1, but, yeah, ive been put down before for talking like that and saying XD
    Lasluin likes this.
  19. This other argument, in my opinion, is just as wrong as being too picky with grammar.

Of course, you can do whatever you want to do, but I find it better to try and keep my grammar and punctuation as correct as possible because, to me, that's a way to show respect towards all those I am speaking (typing) to. It will help them understand me better and want to answer in a similar manner.

Notice how you said

People talk the way the feel the need to, Its who they are. People need to just chill.

People and people :p what people, as in WE the people need to do is to stop taking sides in a pretty silly war and just be respectful, kind, polite and try our best to improve together.