Manners & Grammar

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Xinn, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Yep edited by iphone. I do like the edit button. It a life saver some times. You must know. Edited
  2. The point that pandaseatramen is trying to make (or at least how I see it) is that we, as a community, must stop posting on people's threads about their lack of proper grammar/spelling. As long as the nature of the thread comes across through the post, it is unnecessary to post that their writing needs to be improved (unless improving their writing is the topic of the post). By posting a ton of comments correcting them, you are essentially spamming the forums.

I'd like to also point out that posting on someone's thread with anything off-topic or rude will result in it being deleted from the forums. You don't need to go at people's throats over it. Kindly inform a moderator and we can delete the inappropriate post.

While I am on my soap box I would also like to list other kinds of posts that, if I see them, will be deleted:
    -posts on members profiles that are rude
    -intolerance posts (basically saying that someone's idea is stupid)
    -posts in an auction thread that are not bids (unless asking a specific question about the item)
    -posts telling someone that just because they asked how to become a mod it ruined their chances of ever being one (some people dont know where to find the application, so just help 'em out)

I will add more to this later if I feel it is necessary, but I digress for now.
  3. In spanish we can say "pantalones cortos", but it's okay to say "cortos pantalones" also.
    I tend to correct people a lot, though I barely know how to speak english properly. I do it in spanish too, because I think that correcting someone's grammar can help to improve their language. When I joined the Empire I had no idea of english and now that I have been corrected a lot of times I can speak(or write) english relatively good.
    Correcting is something necessary, but if you correct someone you must be nice and kind, not : HEY DUDE YOURE GRAMAR S*CKS AND YOUR A NEBWIE!!!1

And now, after this wall of text, I'd appreciate it a lot if someone corrects my grammar mistakes please :)
    Nole972 and Twitch1 like this.
  4. I find it really hard to read unnecessarily capitalized words. It makes me read it as. though. there. is. a. pause. after. every. word. It's rather annoying to me, it causes me to stumble, and I prefer to just skip posts written like this.

It's strange that this typing style persists, even though it requires more effort on your part. I'm okay with no capitalization, but when it's excessive it's really a detriment to my reading experience.

You don't have to listen or change... or even care. Just offering my opinion, because this along with unneeded contractions (ex. omg ur a nob y dose ny1 let u live) are the only typing formats that I find difficult to read.
  5. The little voice inside my head just gets crazy if I try to read a post with all the letters capitalised.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  6. Hope that laptop goes down smoothly.:)
    5weety likes this.
  7. Humm it seams no one likes my typing or getting things wrong. So I think I should stop and not say anything as I have already had a mod remove two or three of my posts. I have always typed like this due to my bad eye-site. But it has not stopped me from playing games. Just look at me lol Nutter. Thanks To A Mod I Feel That I Don't Have A Part In Emc And Does Not Read All Posts That A Very good mod skills. O Yer True Hearts. I get it. Thank You
  8. He was just stating that he found it hard to read post where every word is capitalized. No one ever said that you should stop posting. And if it easier to type like that because of your eyesight then continue, no one told you that you have to stop typing like that. You are free to type however you want. Edit: If no one likes you then why do you have more likes than posts? Very few people have more likes than posts.
    Lasluin likes this.
  9. Hmm to late last post for me as if I keep posting I will just get harassed by everyone. just look at the comments above. I was trying to stand up for my self as every keep on about it and as I am the only one that does it that make people mad then I should stop posting full-stop
  10. it hurt
    cddm95ace and Twitch1 like this.
  11. AlexChance likes this.
  12. Every time you misspell a wurd you lose 10r...thats 10r...
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. I Actually do this as a way to Emphasize a word or even a phrase now and then but TO Do This Every Single Word is well a TOTAL pain in the chat.... That is what I will tolerate... a word or SMALL phrase from time to time but if my eyes are jumping I am deleting.... :)
    cddm95ace and Sunny_Chicken like this.
  14. *sigh*

I totally dislike this about people, just because someone gives you a little bit of constructive critisism, you go all bezerk more and start saying things like "oh everyone hates me because I don't spell right and everyone just wants me to die, that is for all of the help you all, I see how bad you really hate me" " I am leaving forever because nobody cares about me"

You are just making it worse on yourself, Crazy wasn't trying to put you down in ANY sort of way, he was just giving his opinion about this subject and then you start to fight back a fight that was never started. Everyone has their own issues with typing/writing and other things.

Like when I'm typin in chat, for example when I do something like this " HEy everyone! How's it going?" Thn my net comment is "Hey*", because I just need everything perfect for me, I don't have OCD, but I do like my things perfect and organized. So, just stop taking constructive critisism as a beating. We love all of our loyal EMC players. :)
    Nole972 likes this.
  15. See, even I have typing errors in that post.
    Nole972 likes this.
  16. :p I can't help myself. I love to keep the joke going.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  17. I certainly agree that being kind in any reply is definitely the most important thing. And though grammar and spelling mistakes don't bother me in the least, there are a couple things that do.
    1. All Caps, this is mainly just in game
    2. Capitalizing the First Letter Of Every Word
    3. Using no puncuation at all like when it just keeps going and I always think like just use a period my brain is getting tired reading this sentence.
    4. Text language. U hv a full kyboard, use it

These things make it legitimately difficult to read, and I feel like it is appropriate the ask them politely to stop. One thing I have experienced in the past, specifically on other forums, in debates about serious subjects, such as religion and politics, people who use grammar, and don't do any of the above things, get their point across far better, and the argument is respected, not just ignored and facepalmed at. So while I do agree that niceness is key, I think it is okay to correct on certain things.
  18. Don't do this:
    Person 1: Hi! Ima cumm to ur partay latar cuzz I iz buisy rite now.
    Person 2: You have horrible grammar! Now I'm going to ding you about it and drive you away from EMC! Come back when you know how to spell!
    Person 1: :(
    cddm95ace and Nole972 like this.
  19. Just be polite like this man
    Wait, nevermind, not like him
  20. Look i have had a long hard think ok. I have not gone mad or crazey XD. We all write and type how we like. O loard i can take a lot of critisism when i was in school i was called as an example pop-eye and may more. Somethime i can go over the top. Even now thought i find it had not to type big and get words wrong.

Aways I have a question for you Example

Would you go on emc and see something that is build wrong or would be better build differently ( Correct Me If You Must )

1) Would you fix it (if there were no prems) (Thought some of you would just blow it up because you cant stand it )
    2) Would go and tell the person that there doing it wrong and piss him / her off
    3) Would you say nothing

What i am trying to say is that i do not like being corrected most times that i post i edit and correct it. But there are a few of you who can help themselfs like so

Just take what these guys said.

People do not have a problem with it. It only the one's with OCD. It is also great that mods skip and dont evern read it. O what is a mods job. Because this one is not doing it very well. It seams.

Throught in a way i fine it like hreassment. Everyone just wants to jump on you for getting things wrong. just saying mind you.

Aslo i have come to say sorry for being over the top. but i do stick with some of what i have said
    Nole972 and AlexChance like this.