Manners & Grammar

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Xinn, Feb 12, 2013.

1. I'm chillin'.
  2. Where's the mistake. We are only human. We are who we are. We should not be putting each other down for silly small things. We all do it time to time. But we don't know that we are even doing it. Also is it a good idea to pick on someone who can't spell when you can't spell or word properly your self.

Attached Files:

3. So much spam in my thread.

Please guys stay on topic and don't be rude. Just as a reminder.
    BilboBaggins23 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  4. Huh what. You made the thread about manners and grammar. Thought you are being rude yourself how off track do you want to go. Plus it not spam. People are allowed to say what they want.
  5. I have yet to be rude in this thread. If I was being rude you would know it. I was asking everyone to stay on track and not spam.
  6. God we are not spamming. Read the comments before saying anything. Points are being made and it seams you can't take them. You want people's opinion and reason. well you got it.

Edit

If a mod is reading is plz read the comments first before deleting.
  7. No, Pandas is talking about all the memes and images that some people are posting, half of them almost completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

If you're going to post one, at least use a spoiler, I'm sure Pandas would appreciate it - this is a discussion after all, not an image sharing thread. :)
    BilboBaggins23 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  8. Thank you. I was trying not to be a jerk and just say something like "Hey Alex, stop spamming my thread." I was trying to put a reminder for everyone because more than one person has posted images.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  9. There is nothing wrong with images. It a form of expression. Unless you like it black and white

Thought Next time I will use spoilers. I am sorry on that part.
  10. It's still equally much spam as text is, if it's not on topic.

As for staying on topic: When it comes to sentence word order, some languages, such as Japanese and Korean use a subject-object-verb (SOV) sentence order instead of the one commonly used in the west, i.e. subject-verb-object. (SVO) So, in their language, they say things like "I at the restaurant ate" or "The cat on top of the TV is." I'm sure this discrepancy makes it quite a bit harder to learn western languages. At least it's hard the other way: I'm trying to learn Korean, and it's an aspect that makes it quite a bit more difficult, in my opinion, as you literally have to think about what you're going to say in a different order than you're used to in your other language(s).
    jkjkjk182 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  11. :D I couldn't resist.
  12. You do realize that he is not going to take that as a joke and get mad again, right? Edit: I realized I made a grammar mistake in this post. How ironic.
    Twitch1 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  13. lol. I am not mad. I don't care anymore. Plus I don't give a dam anymore. They are only words. Mind you read the comments. I now find it funny too read.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  14. I was watching a documentary on the American Civil War the other night and a letter from soldier to a relative was read. It was well written, very coherent, and had length and substance to it. It was most likely laborously written with pen and ink. Possibly the sender had to search for someone to write it, or had a friend who was literate.

The cost and time involved in communicating then made people value it and they wanted to make sure that their messages were understood. I spend a lot of time on my emails and Forum posts when I make them because I want people to understand my thoughts. I expect that people judge me by what I write just as I use their writing to make judgements of them.

I regulary receive business email from clients and co-workers that are the opposite of what I try to write: Rushed, incomplete, with mistakes I'd be embarassed to have my name associated with. I also find myself sending the same information repeatedly since I get responses that show that my emails aren't being read or understood.

The cost of communicating has become cheap and with it I think the quality of much of our communicated material has been cheapened by it.

Today we can fire off emails and phone messages in seconds. We post pictures instead of words and use abbreviations. Posts can be made to web forums from phones while away from home, even while in a car or plane. We throw insults at strangers while sitting on our couches at night. A loved one might get an ILU or BRB instead of more words they might need or deserve. Argument points go disregarded because someone's viewpoint or voting record is different from ours, or ignored if their post is too long.

Beyond manners and grammar, I wonder sometimes whether we are really communicating at all?
    penfoldex, Lasluin, jkjkjk182 and 4 others like this.
  15. This is exactly what I was hoping your response would be.
    Your spelling and grammatical errors were of no true concern to me.
    You attacked Pandas based on your misunderstanding and so I chose to throw it back at you with hopes of sarcastic humor being understood.

Also, was I correct? Is it the arrow keys and nothing more?
  16. Hmmm lol. Correction humor to humour.

Nope there is one more thing wrong in the image. One person has got it right.

I find this funny
    I take it as it comes and I am not afraid to throw it back. face to face is better "fight" lol. I don't care.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  17. Not if you are from the U.S.
    SpaceShuttleFan and Twitch1 like this.
  18. Humor is the American English spelling, which is the way I speak, write and read.
    Here is some good information related to this particular instance:
    http://grammarist.com/spelling/humor-humour/

Also, is it the W on the / | key?
  19. Well I am from the UK and it is spelt differently from the American way ( US: Humor to UK: Humour ) Also my computer is going nuts over it.

Yes you are correct. You have now found them all. Third person to get in right.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  20. Also people spell Color as Colour and Armor as Armour. It just depends.