Learning about EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JDHallows, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is a lot to learn.

people, community, mentality,
    words, actions,
    culture, lack of culture
    broadmindedness, narrow-mindedness,
    maturity, immaturity,
    education, ignorance,
    idealism, cynicism,
    friendship, disrespect,
    devotion. loyalty, lying, betrayal,
    considerateness, recklessness,
    sincerity, deviousness, furtiveness,
    gentleness, brutality,
    generosity, miserliness, greed,
    honesty, corruption, self-deception, censorship, oppression,
    courage, butt-kissing,
    open-mindedness, hypocrisy, violence,
    people, community, mentality
    AyanamiKun and TeleportEntry like this.
  2. I've never understood drama in Minecraft. You know what I do when I don't like a server? I find another one...out of the million other servers. If I'm not having fun on a server in any game, I just find another.

And wow, that guy was sure full of himself wasn't he? Calling anyone that didn't agree with him sheep and other names because he was going to make his own server because people didn't agree with him. Irony much? He sounds like some angst-heavy 12 year old that didn't get what he wanted for his birthday. And no offense to any 12 year olds here, because I've met kids who were more mature than people twice or more their age.

Throwing blanket insults at people probably isn't the best way to gather them to your cause.
  3. Indeed, that is how it seems. I am very much looking forward to doing a museum that actually explains the history of EMC.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  4. Woot! I love story time! That clears up a lot of "bits" of information I have collected in the past 7-8 months. Oh man, its been that long. God knows that this one is nosey. Thanks for piquing so many peoples curiosity jhall. Thanks for the history lesson kryssy and soul and thanks for the timeline Penguin. Ironically, you just confirmed the "dark days" in a sort if way kryssy but there is no reason anyone should be arguing about what happened... almost forever ago at this point. Sometimes things happens, that's pretty much life. Had they not happened I wouldn't be addicted to EMC as if it was air :)
  5. Thanks, Krysyy!

A new thread was indeed created to clear things up, after the original thread had been removed from the public to access.
  6. There is more to learn ... e.g. about embellishing of the history and historical revisionism.

In my opinion ...

... hiding of threads / history / censorship / illegitimate distortion of the historical record - is almost never a good thing to do.

The rationale here might be that the younger ones here - "the kids" - are uneducated, inexperienced, gullible and would naively believe almost everything they see written on the screen, would not understand, would misinterpret - so it might be better to hide some parts from them. But this is a fallacy.

The urge to embellish the history - along with the desire to record history - is very well known since the dawn of the mankind. We know why and we know how this works. This knowledge is only few clicks away for any of us here.

The more mature among us here should really understand that, should resist the temptation and should know how to get over the childish parts of our ego.

The way to go is to open eyes and learn, to ask "why" and understand, not to turn the head away. Learning and understanding does not drag us down, but empowers us.

The more mature among us should be a positive example to the younger ones around us.

Don't prettify history. Don't endanger or even destroy credibility. You deserve better. We deserve better.
    607 and SoulPunisher like this.
  7. While censorship is never a good thing, I don't agree or believe that this was the case when it comes to the deletion of the forum post that I believe you are referring to here. As the staff said in this thread, it was removed to (hopefully) avoid any more unecessary upheaval in the aftermath of the exit of ICC. I have found this thread to be very educational and imformative, since I only joined EMC a few months ago myself. I would hope for it to continue as such and not become a breeding ground for feeling of bitterness towards anyone.

I really enjoy this community, and I have grown very fond of it in my short time here. <3!
  8. So censorship can be a good thing?

I've reviewed now the first 10 or so pages of the thread in question and I don't see any really good reason for hiding it.

But I do see one reason: I realize now that this might be not yet only history, but perhaps still an ongoing try to "steal" (parts of) the EMC community from EMC - after selling it to Aikar.

Now, I see this as obviously wrong on multiple levels.
    For one - you can not "own" people, you can not "own" a community.
    But there is much more, and I'd say let's not turn the head away but let's look at what happens and understand.

Anyway, I think this or similar break in EMC had to happen anyway with the growth and maturity.

The way to go for EMC - IMHO - is to offer quality that is way above what was EMC before Aikar took over. EMC / Aikar is capable of that - and this community is capable of that. It doesn't take long time for people to recognize true quality.

While I don't agree with everything Aikar did, I respect Aikar a lot because above all, my impression is that he has a good heart, and he has a good vision for EMC. Most problems on EMC do not come from Aikar, but actually from people still sticking to "the old ways."

Regarding the history - censorship and embellishment are (still) a no-no.

PS / EDIT:
    Reading further into that thread, I think it is a very valuable document that shows many aspects of (the history of) EMC that are otherwise somewhere quite blow the surface.
    Among other things - now, more than one year later - it is an excellent example to learn from about "drama".
    Yes, there is this negative ""drama"" like "EMC is dead" postings, but for anyone who would buy such nonsense, it would be good to see that thread and perhaps think again.
    It would be good to unhide it, so everyone can see how people did react and which reactions and which prognosis of the future were reasonable, and which not.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  9. Unnecessary upheaval?
    What is that, how does that work, who determines what is necessary and what not?
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  10. Krysyy thank you so much for both of those stories. Over the past couple of days I have learned so much about the Empire. I agree that there is no point in focusing on the past, cause some people do still feel very strongly about it. However, I am glad that you cleared it up for us and gave us a clear vision of what happened. I am thinking that, over the next few months, I will continue to collect EMC history, and I will eventually create a museum that is a true representation of the EMC we all love.
    ShelLuser and DeathPunchKitty like this.
  11. Yeaaaa it wasn't exactly pretty >.>
  12. For those who didn't find it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhRAXKAgdfc
    Thanks Alex!

I used to live next to Brewing_Master and there was no airship, so I wonder when that was taken down. The GameKrib pool also reminds me of the "EMC Pool" outside smp1 spawn way back when.
  13. I'm pretty sure that's still there =P
  14. I've been on here for something like 1,300 days. Unfortunately all I remember is that JustinGuy and GameKribJeremy were the two top dogs for a while and they were excellent. I took a break and when I came back Aikar apparently took over. Luckily things on the server are still very similar to when I joined with some small improvements.
    607 likes this.
  15. Really? I'll have to take a look next time I'm on. I've also decided to attempt a replica of the old EMC pool if I can get some screenshots of the old one from some veterans.
  16. I joined a few months before the Aikar takeover (hurhur) after Justin left and ICC was still owner, I also remember most of the staff before the split, and Krysyy rising quickly through the ranks which was awesome to watch :D
    Before Aikar took over, things weren't updated quickly, there was a small staff, and not alot of events, it was still fun, and I met alot of people, and even talked to alot of staff, but after Aikar, empire has only gone upwards and will keep improving
    607, Gawadrolt and Krysyy like this.
  17. Just a small correction: Ownership went straight from JustinGuy to Aikar. ICC was never owner, just Admin/Community Manager.
  18. Chickeneer built the EMC Pool 2.0. I don't know if it's a replica of the original, but it sure is fun! :)
    607 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.