Is this dress White/Gold or Black/Blue?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Skalamyr, Feb 26, 2015.

?

Is this White/Gold or Blue/Black?

White/Gold 69 vote(s) 69.0%
Blue/Black 31 vote(s) 31.0%
  1. I saw all four colors before reading any articles about it. So i take side with the science stuff.
  2. I see a poorly taken photo of a dress that looks blue and brown. I feel cheated though because I can't seem to force myself to interpret it as anything but a photo of a white and brown dress taken in low foreground lighting with glaring light in the background.

With most illusions like this you can either see it differently once you understand it, or you can manipulate the photo in an editor and see what is happening. Like in this picture. You can crop a chunk out of it that includes part of square A and part of square B then move it around to see that they are the same color:
    Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

Supposedly the dress is black and dark blue, but every example I've seen using the original photo to try to explain the illusion using different backgrounds or by clipping out the dress, at best, makes the black look brown and the white look light blue.

Even after playing around with it in an editor i'm still not seeing it for what it is supposed to be because you can't turn brown to black or light blue to white. Because of this I feel that the photo is not a true illusion.

One thing I noticed while playing around with it is that the colors are pretty close to negatives of themselves. I wonder if it has anything to do with how the photo is being interpreted:

Dress.jpg

NegativeDress.jpg
    607 likes this.
  3. im a guy, 18 and i see black and blue. my gf is also 18 and sees white and gold.. im like [removed for language]?? i just dont believe her and i feel soo stupid..
  4. Just wanna note that this is very old, both topic and thread
    SoulPunisher, ThaKloned, 607 and 3 others like this.
  5. This thread is last years craze. Just letting you know that they also debunked it.
    607 and DatFoxMan like this.
  6. so what i just saw it and didnt really even check.. sorry for bringing this up again :p
    607 and DatFoxMan like this.
  7. Not this again nope!
    DatFoxMan likes this.
  8. Dont start this again. Everything about this whole thing is lies...
    DatFoxMan likes this.
  9. whyyyyy you bump this stupid thread! ahhhhhh *bashes head

BEGS BEGS BEGS staff to just lock this! lol
  10. Umm. Black and gold.
  11. Oh yay .. this again :confused:
  12. It has been proven to be blue and black.
  13. Indeed it has been 'proven.' But the fact still remains that people will see the dress as different colors. I, personally, see white and gold and cannot see any black or blue in the whole dress. However, since no form of the dress can be found as white and gold, then I do believe the dress is blue and black and I just blame the photographer for taking such a bad quality picture of the dress. Its something to do with the lighting or something and how our brains are wired. But this was last year's thing and should be stopped. Heh. :p
    607 likes this.
  14. Yeah, it is the lighting making the black and blue dress seem white and gold. Those to the color blind people they are meta confused, this dress will forever lead us into inception...