Is there a mod or something to create map art?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sj3vans, Jul 18, 2021.

1. I've seen some amazing artwork using maps. Is there a mod that is used to create those or just some amazingly talented builders? The one in the wild north of SMP7 center outpost comes to mind but so many others.
    607 likes this.
  2. I believe Litematica. You use online programs to convert an image to a map art schematic. Then litematica gives you a material list of everything needed.

Then, you go to a location and turn it on, and it gives you a visual overlay of what blocks to place where, so you just run along placing the blocks.
    607 and sj3vans like this.
  3. You can visit this website to create map art and then use Litematica if you wanna build it from a schematic.
    JesusPower2, 607 and sj3vans like this.
  4. This is so cool. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks!
    607 likes this.
  5. So they need to be on the same server you want to display them on (i.e. SMP7-wild), so any suggestions or proper protocol on where to build these so they don't muck up the environment? I assume just go find someplace well off the beaten path? Or is there an area set asside for art?
  6. generally go way out into the wild (farther you go, less likely it'll get messed with, so maybe fly 3kblocks) and do it over an ocean, so that if you accidentally fall off you'll be in the water
    607 likes this.
  7. Good luck, I'm curious to see what you'll make! :)
  8. Make sure that boats can travel under it and that you aren't interfering with builds.
    With the last waste update, there was a test planned (by raayan) to check that maps of the waste were permanent. It was believed that they would be... I have not heard back about that part.

And also check that your map is created in the same chunk and direction as you would expect it to appear when completed.
    sj3vans and 607 like this.
  9. When you make a map, all you have to do is combine it with a glass pane using a cartographer's table and it will be permanent, regardless of whatever happens to the blocks. Then, you can make copies of it :)
  10. You may be able to ask MoreMoople. She doesn't offer it as a service, but she is the first mod that came to mind.
  11. So if I make a map in Waste can I get it to Wild? I recall trying to put a map in the /vault and it not liking that so much.
  12. You dont vault it as you are on the same smp. And you can keep it in your inventory or enderchest while you travel around from the /waste and then travel to the /frontier wild or to /town. Wherever you want the map to end up being displayed. Same smp - no vault necessary.
  13. Ah, got it. Thanks!