Is anyone else concerned about the Empires Updates effects on the economy?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by AdinD, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Pretty sure an outpost will need a spawn point like a residence. Aikar definitely isn't going to let people just tp to wherever they want to go.
    ShelLuser, 607, TuqDufRhySmp8 and 2 others like this.
  2. Absolutely. Put on your hard-hats, the sky is falling!
  3. In the future, the Empire(not the player) will own HQ's (main outpost), and you will be able to expand it(or create more HQ's).
    Public builds that are near spawn, which, are too big or useless in /town, but in wild would be cool to share. The outpost system won't be like a /home set 1, /home tp 1(like factions servers). An Empire(group of people), will be able to buy an HQ(main piece of land) which you will be able to tp.
  4. You don't need economy. All you need Cobra!
    khixan, ShelLuser, SUPERI0N and 3 others like this.
  5. Only if I have to diversify or portfolio anything.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  6. Yes you are correct in that to set up a tp, you need an already established outpost, and to establish an outpost, you need to place a lock sign on a chest, so it isn't possible just to tp, say, 5mil out unless there is an established outpost already there. But a player must have at one point traveled out 5 mil to create the outpost, and that is why the new spawns at 1 mil exist. just to make it easier to get farther out so there is a lower density of outposts near spawn. Most players dont want to travel more than 50k from one of the spawns, so all these things together make for a better playing experience for wilderness players like myself.

Also you need to use tokens to "buy" the rights for your outpost to have a tp point, so only players that are active in killing minibosses or voting will be able to afford them.
    ShelLuser, 607, Pab10S and 3 others like this.
  7. I will be happy when empires come out as I tend to bring stuff from my town storage for building as i dont want to destroy the land. As it stands it takes 25-30 mins to bring stuff, will be so much easier....

~Finch
    ShelLuser, Zrugite, 607 and 2 others like this.
  8. Unfortunately, Empires won't add outpost teleports, we'll need to wait for 1.12 and then development of "Outposts" to complete as well.

That being said, I don't think it will change the economy much. An enderchest of shulkerboxes will let you take a ton of items back to town now without much extra work. Before shulker boxes this would of made a bigger difference. Right now it will just very very slightly lower already bottomed out prices. Iron is the only thing keeping some of it's value and because you can make blocks of it, it's never been a challenge to move to town.

Outpost teleports will connect the community and give everyone the use of wastes and the end. It will be a major improvement.
    Gawadrolt, Zrugite, mjnoe70 and 3 others like this.
  9. Just one other note, since block protection came out, major farms can be built right at a frontier spawn without risk. This is another reason transportation improvements will have little effect on the economy.
    BlitzAttack, Gawadrolt and mjnoe70 like this.
  10. I agree with AncientTower, I have a rail system already in place. The teleporting is going to be a great thing for players like myself that have builds in different sections of the map, that may have to be repaired, especially the ones at the PWU. :p
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  11. AdinD said : "With the new update you'll be able to teleport to your outpost..."

GREAT!

AdinD said : "this is going to make transferring items from farms stupidly easy and allow farmed items to floor the economy."

I counter it will stimulate the economy. Have we really not learned from Sam Walton's example? Selling more at a lower price vs fewer items at staggering prices can actually be more profitable in the long run.

AdinD said: "It will drop prices on most items farmable only in the wild."

I'm sorry... were there new crops introduced that only work outside of town or something? I have seen many auto-farms in town on residences with various layers that compare to a significant area of wild farming.

AdinD said: "It could eliminate the use of normally farming stuff since it's res to res transportation, essentially."

Yea, isn't it going to be great!

AdinD said : "Anyone else not a fan of teleporting for this reason?"

Not here...

I have an outpost over 100k out in the wild with my family, and we have not even set up a rail system in the nether, because I am old-school. I thought this seemed like cheating. Heh....yea, imagine that. It is nice to see some of the comments above that do hold some of the same sentiment, but as with anything on this planet....things change, and if you don't, you will get left behind.

In comes the Elytra....Grr...so not a fan of this, but it was okay....and then only got worse, as Mojang decided to link the firework absurdity. Yea, I know many of you may love the flying option, which before fireworks was still somewhat fair in my perspective, but now it is just a method of legalized creative mode flying in my opinion. Yes, I am trying to be real here, so that my following comments are taken in the correct context.

I too have worked hard to construct many, many km of roads to help facilitate the overworld travel to our outpost, and around it's various locations. Still so far from complete, but at this time I have personally laid over 208k stone slabs in SMP2 for which most was an endeavor of building an extensive network of infrastructure to and from our outpost. The overall goal though was not to go way out in the wild and then build a mega road there, but to build roads so that others could themselves better explore the areas between spawn and our outpost and hopefully find a place they could call home too. To date, UnderHelm is probably the best known success story of this goal.

I mention this to encourage others that have also built roads, and feel they may not be needed anymore. On the contrary, I think this will help promote even further growth in the wild. As people will be able to teleport out, and then journey from there, maybe back down some of those trails that have already been laid previously.

Now, to return to the real topic here : the Economy. While your fear is that prices will drop due to much more supply, you forget that by opening up this Frontier access, there will also be much...heh....MUCH more Demand. Right now, I have 150 DC of stone sitting on my Utopian Res, which I would love to have at my outpost way out in the wild, but I am not going to keep going back and forth just to deliver stone to myself. I am also not in the market to buy stone when I have so much already on hand. The trip used to take 2 days of running through the wild, and while the time is much less with an Elytra, it still takes about 4-5hrs to fly that far. Yes, I am an elytra novice, so you might make it in 3-4hrs, but it really is Way out...No 15 minute trip here. When teleportation becomes an option, I can see using a stash of stone like that relatively quick, and then....I would be in the "Market" for more stone :)

Who knows, I might grow wheat at my outpost that I would then try to sell as haybales, to make rupees to buy more stone, or maybe I do raid temples and mansions, and bring those spoils to market so that I can acquire more essential building materials. Personally, I do love the idea Aikar has mentioned about just simply going to the waste and collecting what I need to build with in the Frontier myself, but work beckons, and my time is limited. Sometimes, I just like to browse the forums and comment on cool threads like this one, instead of chipping away at a cave wall. This translates to demand and more rupees for those willing to sell in the market.

The teleportation option to get out in the wild more easily could also compel more people to stick with the Empire, and may be the ingredient that keeps them in this awesome community, which will also translate into more Demand / Rupees. Overall, I believe the Economy will change, but as it adjusts, I think it will only become stronger in relation to this long awaited update feature.

Tips hat to the fellow road builders ;)

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
  12. So is there anything noting "how much" tokens to how much space will get you? The only thing I don't like about that is that older players will not just have an advantage but HUGE advantages over new players. ....to be fair though, those longer term players may be more likely to keep active in that settlement when then get it so while I still see the huge advantage I do see some benefit to EMC I that respect. I also thought I read that initial spot costs more than expanding but I think that is opposite of what would make more sense. allow the newer player to establish but enforce more activity or duration to keep increasing the space. Just my thoughts and questions...
    Eviltoade likes this.
  13. That's like saying it's unfair players who were around during the 60k celebration have those promos. You can't complain about it, there is a certain element of first come first served.
  14. Keep in mind it also makes people work in groups to be able to afford it.... It's not just one claiming but many friends of yours....
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  15. Very well put, though everyone I know is new too, most newer than I am... ...but either way our pool will be greater than an of us individually...
  16. I know most has already been addressed but...

There is one reason I can come up which I don't like about upcoming Empire teleportation. And that's:

Here I am at the time of writing (this tunnel that is) and this is a trip which honestly takes almost 5 minutes if not longer. In the Nether. And this was mostly dug out, slabbed down and railed over by Merek & Mancub.

And this is but one of many examples of highly creative constructions where players spend hours if not days on making something to easily transport them (and optionally their goodies) back and forth to their favorite wild outpost(s).

With Empires I can imagine how this drive for creativity and connectivity may dry up because you can easily solve it with a few commands. Not always I'd assume, but even so...

Now, don't get me wrong here.. I'm not suddenly claiming that Empires is all bad all of a sudden, nonsense. And this kind of development is what you're seeing happening in Minecraft all the time. For example: previously you needed to link up your command blocks using redstone. Getting something running all the time? Time to create a timer of some sort. Nowadays you can simply use chain command blocks or running command blocks (forgot their name because I don't often use them).

It's not bad, in fact those chain command blocks are extremely good; often more reliable than linking 'm up with redstone even. But... It does make that kind of (redstone) creativity obsolete. And sometimes I think that's a shame.

Same with those railroads and other things... That's the only thing I will miss out on: seeing peoples creativity to make it easier on themselves to go back & from their outpost while also making sure to keep things a bit secretive.

Trust me: I've been to quite a few outposts already and some tunnel designs are plain out brilliant and highly impressive.

</ShellRant> :)
    M4ster_M1ner and Merek_Shadower like this.
  17. I sincerely preffer seeing creative builds than creative personal nether rails which i will never see cause they are private
    BlitzAttack, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  18. I would love to be able to teleport to/from Tropical Ice. It takes 35 minutes to get there by nether rail. smp7 is basically a server I never get to use for anything else because Kephras made us go WAY TOO FAR out ;) I will say the journey getting there was a hoot though! :D
    607 and Kephras like this.