Introducing the Empire Assistant!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Like jkjkjk182 said, don't advertise EMC. Don't bring yourself down to the level of the idiots who do it on other servers. Also, have faith in EMC. Because our coders are not monkeys, we can make things most servers mess up, into functional and amazing ideas.
  2. The UI is dynamic, and will show live map stuff while outside of Town

In what way can you ever see this confusing players?

It's Command name matching to a description of what it does.

Anyone who is confused by this would be even more confused by /commands.

If you can theorize how this could cause confusion, we will investigate the probability of it likely happening and improve if needed.
    Tricksh0t5 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. The more I think about it, the more I agree with you. I guess it's just that I'm already familiar with the things the compass is for, but I'm not too familiar with the compass itself. But from a new player's perspective, this is probably a useful, relatively simple tool. I can't think of any ways to improve it at the moment, but I'm still curious to see what new players think of it. Really, what I was trying to say was that I don't know what new players will think, so it's better to just ask them directly.
    For that matter, input from new players is probably more valuable than input from veteran members for things like this. Most of the active forum members are emotionally invested in EMC, and may not judge the usefulness of a new idea objectively.
    All things aside, I like the idea. I meant no disrespect or disapproval :)
    Equinox_Boss and Olaf_C like this.
  4. This is awesome! I have an idea that I think people would like. I noticed clicking the items in the compass teleports you automatically. Since there is more room in the inventory when you open the compass you should make it so we can add our own custom items for our /res loc.......that way you can just open your compass and click. Just and idea.

Like make it so you pick a item....Diamond for example
    Then you type in the command it activates when clicked.
    Hit enter and boom its done.
  5. Adding custom entries to the compass was something a staff member suggested too.

This tool will become much more useful, where clicking an item will go into sub menus. IE Clicking Vault lists all of your vault pages, clicking stables lists all stabled horses/tooltips for the stats of each, etc.

Mail lists all unread mail to be clicked etc.
  6. About the tutorial...
    I redid it recently and it had no interactive parts. Before, the interactive tutorial was nice. Do people redoing tutorial not see the interactive part?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. This is an interim version, as we cranked up advertising and we can't afford to waste hundreds of dollars (literally, the tutorial with interactive parts has cost us over 1000$ so far in players who didn't even give us a proper chance)

There will be interactive things added back in, but as an optional "Training Area" after the tutorial is completed.
    It will likely be a button on the Assistant.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. So many new players SPAM with questions all day because of the lack of information given in the tutorial, the lack of walkthroughs. personally i love and hate the new tutorial for this reason.
    Thank you for taking the time to provide the information that is now not present. It will give a rest to the fingers of us friendly helpful people that love to answer everything.
  9. Honestly, even the old tutorial did not give this information, nor was it really easy to give it.

The old touched on SOME, but still left people missing so much.

I feel like this approach is going to be one of the best ways to just put it in front of them and let them see what goodies they can access, and explore on their own and not need to ask as much.

The next tutorial iteration will do more to help teach too, but I think the assistant will still help people overall as they can simply 'explore' the options and find out what they do and be like 'neat!'
  10. So new players get one automatically after they complete the tutorial, or do they have to use the command?
  11. when they complete tutorial
  12. This is a great addition. This will simplify things for new players so much.

And can be added to to improve it so much! :)
  13. Great job Aikar! Are we getting a flag UI some time soon?
  14. That is the plan, initially this is just getting the groundwork up and running first before expanding its abilities. :)
    Tricksh0t5, 607, Equinox_Boss and 2 others like this.
  15. Confusing? There will always be people who find everything confusing, but this seems pretty simple to understand. Could def. do with a link to the live map though - so many new players never leave town because the only time they did, they got lost and died. There used to be a regular ingame message about the live map which I haven't seen for months.
  16. Thanks, dev team!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. At first I was afraid this was some sort of a special rank given to people...
    This is a very good idea though! And because you can get them every 48 hours I think that will prevent it from being a collectable.
    Tricksh0t5 likes this.
  18. Finally people won't leave and take up res space
  19. It gives live map buttons when your not in town. It is location aware.
    wassatthen and 607 like this.
  20. This is a pretty cool item, I can see it being useful for newbies. Keep it up. I hope it mentions Wiki.EMC.gs as much as possible, the more it's used - the better.
    PandasEatRamen and Parkerjv9 like this.