Internet Speed Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Stnywitness, Jun 30, 2020.

?

Would you consider your internet a good speed?

Yes! 6 vote(s) 33.3%
Most of the time. 4 vote(s) 22.2%
It's... OK. 1 vote(s) 5.6%
Not really... 4 vote(s) 22.2%
No. It's pure crap. 4 vote(s) 22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. So we're on vacation in a student home... (dorm? Maybe not.) I wonder how this is enough for them. :$
  2. Ah, good idea, holidays! :D I'm here in the holiday house of some family members, and the internet is this:

It seems that they have a simple 50/5 connection. :)
  3. Why is there such a big difference between upload and download speeds in many homes, I wonder?
  4. I recall reading that that originated from the upload not being as necessary, and its bandwidth being used for other things (TV and/or radio?), but that that isn't as necessary today as it used to be. Providers keep it like this because it makes it cheaper and more profitable for them. :p
    607 likes this.
  5. But I'd say that especially in the early days, upload would be as necessary. Back then, virtually all internet users all put stuff up themselves, right? Unlike now, when the average user only sends data out to make their web browser function and to send chat messages. (I, however, upload YouTube videos daily in summer, which makes an upload of < 1 Mbps highly inconvenient :p)
  6. I thought that there was a ping thread, but couldn't find it... so here is my EMC ping, when it spiked a bit a few minutes ago:

8131 ms... that is more than 8 seconds! :D

It now averages between 3000 and 4500 ms. :p
  7. That list of pings reminds me of the time that my connection was that bad on EMC a while back. Lots of delay and rubber-banding... 💦💦💦
  8. I know its been a bit, but I am curious. How's the internet been lately?

9. Actually faster than what I pay for, never seen that before lol. between 90 and 100ms ping on EMC
    Stnywitness likes this.
  10. I got back to Amersfoort today and it's been really bad so far. :( It can take 10 seconds before a page loads. Sometimes I get good speeds for a bit, but then they drop again. Not sure what's going on. We were supposed to get optical fibre; I hope that's not what's causing this. :p
  11. :D
    607 likes this.
  12. Yeah, that's the main reason I shared the picture. :p
    I think I'm actually getting a lot less than that when it's acting up.
    wafflecoffee likes this.
  13. IUN's Wi-Fi internet speed is why I like being on campus. IUN gives 300 Mbps both directions... meanwhile here at home I get okay download (30 Mbps down) but upload is not the greatest (2.5 Mbps up). That 300 Mbps was taken at 1 PM there was quite a few students on campus.
    Stnywitness and 607 like this.
  14. That's great!