I'm heading to Rome!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 607, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Have you ever been to Italy?

Yes, Rome in particular. 9 vote(s) 21.4%
Yes, but not in Rome. 8 vote(s) 19.0%
No, not at all. 25 vote(s) 59.5%
  1. I hope you have a good trip and make a safe return
    607 likes this.
  2. Awesome, 607! I always wanted to go to Rome. Have fun!
    607 likes this.
  3. Mocht je dit nog lezen, dan wens ik je veel plezier op je reis naar Rome! En als je toch bij Shel langsgaat om spaghetti te brengen, kom hier dan ook even langs ;)
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  4. Goed idee, lekker, spaghetti! :D
    nltimv likes this.
  5. Rome was amazing! :D
    Of course there were many incredible things to be seen, so much beauty! We've also heard many incredible stories of past times, and finally being able to see the things we've learnt so much about was great.

I could probably write for hours, but I'll keep it relatively short this time. Because seriously, 9 days with so much happening on every single day... that wouldn't fit in one post. I might write more extensively in my diary, later this week.
    I don't have school for this week and next week, and this week I won't do homework either. I want to do some fun stuff, and get some rest.
    Of course, the most amazing thing about the Rome trip was not the buildings, nor the infrastructure, nor the stories, nor... well, enough nots. The most amazing thing indeed: the people. No, I don't mean the Italian people, most seemed a bit off, honestly :p
    But no: the people with me on the trip. I've had such a great time with every single person on the trip.
    I've not had any conflicts once, with anyone. It was just great fun. So many friendships have been strengthened during these 9 days, and I've even made a new friend.
    Truly, socially, this was a life-changer.

I've also learnt a lot of practical things. Like, I now know how to clean a toilet! Such things are much more useful than being able to accurately translate tons of words from foreign languages, or using geometry to prove things that have been proved ages ago, right?

What was interesting about Italy is that everything seems to be very poorly organised.
    Compared to the Netherlands, public transit is trash, as is the infrastructure. Instead of asphalt, most of the roads are paved with square stones, and the buses rattle like crazy. There's hardly any place to sit and the seats that are there are uncomfortable. The trains and trams are ugly, and in the metro, it's not always clear where you're supposed to go to get somewhere.
    But it works. And it's cheap.
    People seem to be content with the system, and it does what it should do: get people from one place to another.
    All the comfort here in the Netherlands is nice, but it also makes everything much more expensive to maintain. So yeah, perhaps they don't do so bad after all.

I came back yesterday evening, at a bit past 8 PM. It was very cold, and it rained, while I was in my shorts. And I loved it. Seriously, for once, it felt great. It was like "You're back. Welcome." We could be sure we were back in the Netherlands now, and had left the sun of Italy far behind :p

It's nice to be back, to have a bed again, a roof above my head, eat what I want to eat and: have a computer, with access to the internet.
    Of course it's also nice to see my family again.

What feels the most odd about being back is that I'm inside all the time. I haven't felt the wind or sun at all yet, today. While in the last week, I was outside nearly all the time. We slept in tents and ate outside. Of course the biggest part of the days were also outside, although there were some parts in churches and such.
    But now, I miss that. Of course I could still go outside, but what to do? I'm alone now, I don't have a friend greeting me every 10 steps, if you know what I mean.

Anyway: I'm partly glad to be back, partly missing what I'd grown used to in the past days.

But in any case: this trip was the most amazing thing in my life so far, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it. It was incredibly awesome, and I'm very grateful for how this all went.
    See you all around somewhere.
    Love, 607.
  6. Welcome back! So glad you had an amazing time :)
    607 likes this.
  7. While you were in Rome, did you do as the Romans do? I hear that part is very important.
  8. Welkom terug :)
    607 likes this.
  9. "There's no place like Rome." - Some-guy-who Was-bad-at-sayings, 2016
  10. Glad to hear you had fun, but it is always nice to get back for sure. Get some rest! :p
    607 likes this.
  11. Welcome back, and happy belated birthday. :) I'm so glad that you had a fantastic trip! Definitely have to love that "Ahhh... home at last!" feeling, though. No matter how much fun a trip is, it seems that coming home is always one of the best parts of vacationing in the first place, oddly enough.
    607 likes this.