I have a question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheFryedmans, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Google and Facebook had multiple violations filed against them the day the law went into effect and Google at least has one accepted lawsuit already. Twitter appears to be in the clear so far but I'm pretty sure Amazon will have one before long.
    I'm not entirely sure but I think the cases get put into the European General Court - any appeals get put into the European Court of Justice (basically the European Supreme Court). This is an EU regulation, not one done by individual countries. (Obviously the UK is the exception, due to Brexit). There's some variables to consider with the judges: depending on what country they represent, they may fight for harsher or more lenient punishment. Germany, for example, is very tight on personal freedom and their judge would be much harsher with a ruling than, for example, a British one - a country who cares about as much for personal freedom as they do for the impossibility of reclaiming the 25% of the globe they owned a century ago.
    Accepted lawsuits have to be in accordance with international law and United States authorities have to work within that as long as they are members of international organisations. While European Union and United States relations are deteriorating to the point of an incoming trade war and the US threatening to sanction Europe while the EU undermines the American position in Iran, they're still pretty good, so I'd imagine they would follow through. Furthermore, companies like Facebook have already been fined multiple times by the EU with no objection made by the United States.

I should add I am also not a lawyer. My only experience with law is ripping US civil rights laws to shreds in essays as part of my history course.
  2. They're considered as much, true, which is IMO utterly stupid. If a family uses the Internet together they all share one IP address. So.. personal, how?

Anyway, I started a controversial topic, maybe something to consider?
  3. Like Chickeneer said, if used in conjunction with other personally identifiable information, such as usernames or an email address then IP addresses do become personal data.
    AltPunisher and mba2012 like this.
  4. Yes, let us move to ShelLuser's thread for anything not directly related to EMC (which so far have been quite some of these posts).