Has EMC lost its luster?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joshmcf, Jan 14, 2013.

1. I once left for three days...got bored after that, never left the empire since.
    Yes, i did play some other servers...Recently found one, now i know why EMC has only
    60 slots on the server and why land claiming is not possible (had to walk 2k blocks to find a
    spot that was not claimed in a radius of about 50 blocks).
    mba2012 and RoBoT_ChIcKeN_66 like this.
  2. I left for a week, then came back quietly on an alt :p
    mba2012 likes this.
  3. I got here two months ago, and the only thing I can think of is get some free time fast to be online much more. I want to finish my residence, and become like JackBiggin. Everyone on SMP1 seems to know him, and I'd like to be such a point of reference. If I can ever do something for EMC, I'd do it in a second :D
    bloodra1n and bonzd67 like this.
  4. josh, your post came off as very "dissatisfied" with EMC.
    Yes EMC is not at its original throughput, but reality hits hard. Justin is not able to put as much effort as he use to because he has stuff going on in life.

Same goes for me. I have a full time job, then combined with personal life and my own personal entertainment of playing MC some too.

Some nights I feel like programming, others not. Stuff is coming, but you have to accept the pace it comes.

Complaining about pace only discourages me from working on EMC.

Also note ORDER of updates is my choosing too. I like to have fun with EMC. If I have a cool idea in my head, I want to play with it. So I will stray, and do things in the order I feel is best for releasing.

If I'm frustrated with having to work on something I don't want to because my mind is set on something else... then nothing would get done.

Just enjoy the updates as they can come :)
  5. The more concerning question is: Where the heck is Justin..
  6. Behind the scenes only, pretty much :)
    Faithcaster likes this.
  7. Justin is taking on a more behind the scenes role (Server administration, Infrastructure, Business, "The guy who has to wake up at 4 am when SMP4 doesn't come back up from the nightly restart").
    mba2012 likes this.
  8. Oh SMP4 I love you! :) And does this load get shared with IcC?
  9. You could take on some more programmers to help.

Also, someone up above mentioned a cross server voting system. This seems like something that could be easily implemented and really serve as a community sounding board for administrators. I think the space on the right side of the webpage we be much better used for a multiple choice poling area. The questions could even be user submitted bc I know the admins don't have time to come up with questions all day. They could just pick the best ones. Not a lot of work for getting some clear cut feedback from the entire community. I think user feedback deserves a spot on the front page.

I want to say Mob Arena is fantastic although I've never participated bc I feel like the stakes are too high. I can't be the only person who avoids Mob Arena for similar reasons. Why can't we have a more tame weekly event like Spleef arena. Same exact concept with a dedicated arena and server messages telling people it's happening. In order to facilitate quick resets between games have a script for replacing all of the blocks. This would be better for some than mob arena because the only thing you lose is some uses and some shears and possibly pride. Lol it would actually be an amusing and positive way of solving in game disputes. "I challenge you to a spleef duel!"
    kevdudeman likes this.
  10. That would be a hard task of doing, because its choosing the right people. And Aikar would still have to check the code for bugs and some people will not be able to do X Thing etc
  11. I sorta left the community for a while. I rarely came on and when I did It was for a minute or two. I felt bored. I then learned I was completely bored of Minecraft. I then started to play Tekkit and I learned to love Minecraft again. When you play Minecraft for a year or two like me its starts to lose the feeling of mystery and adventure it once had. When you play for a while you know a lot of things now so there is no longer anything to learn. I played Tekkit and I was met with a new world full of things I didn't know. It brought back the feeling for a while but I knew it would go away at some point. Then I started looking at the things I haven't done yet on Minecraft and I thought about how I'll miss out on many adventures and fun times. It inspired me to return. Old members have to go just like a flower withers or when an incarnation of The Doctor dies. Then again new members come like a new flower sitting in the fields or when The Doctor regenerates into his new form. That's how life works. We can't stop people from leaving. We can only make them less likely to leave. Just like we can't make new members join. We have to make the server appealing enough for them to decide to come and see it.
  12. It's been quite some time since the last one of these threads. Great timing too, as batmeghs just made a post regarding the "horribility" (or something close) of other servers.

"Members Leaving" is a topic that is continually brought up. Am I the only one that looks at this as a good thing. From what I have seen, the members who decide to leave our community leave for 3 major reasons:
    1- This gameplay was not what they were looking for. (Looking for PVP, griefing servers, hardcore, etc.)
    2- They did not fit in with the community. (ex - folks who want to cuss, swear, and be vulgar; are rude to others; etc)
    3- Have a personal issue. (Fairly self explanatory, I think. Also worth noting that the majority of these folks DO make it back. And we USUALLY accept them, with no questions asked...right?)

As with anything else, I would much rather have the members we do...then the members we do not.
  13. So no programming business can ever hire new employees? All these things you've said are true and normal of any situation when taking on new people but the benefits outweigh the initial difficulties. That and the invention of things like github make implementing changes from multiple programmers a manageable task.
  14. But this isn't a programming business. Its a Minecraft Server. And EMC is a private source (Or how you say it!) and it takes time of trust before even attempting to let someone into the code of EMC
  15. This is a business. All business in order to grow must expand their workforce. You have to entertain the idea that the needs of the project may begin to outpace the ability of a few who admittedly have things going on irl that keep them away.

Lol why was this the only thing commented on from my post. I had some good positive ideas in there.
  16. Can I get a link to batmeghs post?
  17. well what the staff should do is being a lot less strict abt the rules.... u shouldnt like temp ban or kick a guy a capses like 3-4 words and ppl get annoyed from it which it isnt actually.... u should temp ban hackers for like 2-3 months but not perma ban from first time... thats just not right... im not against u being strict im just saying to be a lot less strict cuz ppl are being driven away everytime they get kicked for capsing like 3-4 words for being angry or happy , or cussing a word and suddenly 10 ppl report him and there goes 1 day of temp ban.... etc... i wish u understand me and do that :/
  18. Aikar can not complete these any quicker as he has a massive list of things to do and these require a lot of work
  19. We are already as lenient as we can get with this. Why do you think that hackers who deliberately break our rules and ruin the game for others deserve anything? (and for the record, we have pardoned people in given time who have broken rules and have demonstrated to us that they can be a worthwhile member to EMC again).
    mba2012 and HylianNinja like this.
  20. When you type something into a keyboard you are making a conscious decision to do it. It's not like irl when you spout something out of your mouth driven by emotion. Plus I've never seen anyone kicked or banned in chat before a lot of other people were complaining about it. If the majority of people are saying they don't like it well that's just the community speaking up.
    bonzd67 likes this.