Happy Thanksgiving! Misc Updates - 11/24/15

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Nov 24, 2015.

1. k so the ones this year just say "Thanksgiving Turkey Drop"

I'm looking for any reason to stop hunting Super Turkeys, so if the drop isn't unique in some way that's a good reason for me to stop hunting. I've died way too much the past few days looking for them.

I want to make it clear that I appreciate Aikar and the staff for trying to make fun events. This years event just wasn't very fun for me. Even with the changes it's still real painful and un-fun trying to find the turkeys. I blame minecraft and not the staff though. When they made it so you couldn't see them through blocks, it's just too difficult.
  2. You want a reason? The annoying radar that never stops until they're dead lol
    slash14459 likes this.
  3. Because a difficulty 10 that I killed dropped a cooked turkey, a diamond, and 16 feathers, long with the regular amount of 150 tokens.
    Dufne, ThaKloned and WayneKramer like this.
  4. Well I didn't find the radar itself annoying. What I found annoying is it saying I was in the same chunk as the turkey and I looked for well over an hour and never found it. I explored the mine quite a bit. I could tell the turkey was moving because of the radar but I never found where it was.
  5. But imagine for the next year, every time you're in the area it will blare at you..
  6. Am I the only one finding the new system great for finding turkeys? I went from hardly finding any to finding about 15 turkeys today. Sadly, only two dropped swords. Rythmically is correct that difficulty settings does not affect the drop rate as I got one sword to drop at difficulty 2.

If anyone is having trouble determining what is a chunk, try installing the approved mod, Chunk Borders.
    Rhythmically and ThaKloned like this.
  7. I love it. You still need to be in range so it's not making it super easy to find. What I find best is to be above ground when trying to get closer chunk wise, then dig down when at 0 chucks close. Got the 3 I couldn't find from yesterday doing this :D
    luckycordel and Arystina like this.
  8. This is the tale of paddes ultimate drop morning, lets begin:
    Padde woke up in his bed and went straight to the computer (like he does every weekend) and started up Minecraft. As soon as he logged in to Smp1 he says Hello to everyone. When he's done greeting everyone he decides to go out to waste and slay some mobs. After killing 2 skeletons Something came up on his computer "You sense an eerie presence" He looks around and saw the Marlix. He started to fight it and in the middle of fighting it something new comes up "Gobble Gobble" he looks around but can't spot the Turkey soo, he focuses on the Marlix first. Wow! The Marlix has fallen! What did padde get? Well, he got the Marlix bow! After slaying that beast he starts his new quest "Get dinner, if you catch my drift" he doesn't have to look long because the little creature is stuck in a pond. Padde immediately jumps on to the Turkey. First it takes a while for padde to get some hits on the turkey but... after maybe 3 minutes padde came up with a plan. The plan works so good that it only takes about 2-3 minutes to slay the beast. What did padde get? Well, he got the TURKEY SLICER!
    That's the tale of paddes morning (15 minutes):)
    Rhythmically likes this.
  9. How do you do that with Forge? I tried following the instructions and my Minecraft program stopped opening up until I deleted it.
  10. So very agreed. I managed to find and kill two turkeys that had been bothering me since the start of the event. :)
    Dufne likes this.
  11. Is it just forge installed? If you have both forge and chunk borders installed, you also need the 1.8 liteloader. Just install it on top of Forge. When the liteloader installer pops up be sure to select extend from 1.8-forge.

If it's just forge you have installed, try a different version. For my pc (windows), I have the 11.14.4.1569 installer-win version. Try installing that first if you have windows, then liteloader (following the above directions), then drag the chunk borders file into your mods folder. If you have a mac, then I don't know as I have never had a mac computer.

A word of caution, these mods may cause some block lighting issues for you (it does for me), but I personally feel that it can easily be overlooked when it comes to hunting turkeys.
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  12. something ain't right. i stood in all four quadrants at the crossroads of some chunks and all of them said I was 1 chunk away. that's just not possible, two or more of them had to be at least two chunks away.

now I just went one chunk away and stood in all four quadrants of the next chunk over and all four of those also said I was 1 chunk away.

either this turkey is moving a lot or the way this calculates chunks is wrong :(

Edit: ended up digging down in a random spot I chose amongst all these chunks that were 1 chunk away and ended up down near bedrock where there was a large lava pit. The turkey was sitting in a corner of the lava pit that was near the crossroads of four chunks.
  13. I'd guess moving. Just turn up the passive mob sound volume and listen for chicken noises.
    Dufne likes this.
  14. how many blocks away can you hear the chicken noises?
  15. It should be noted that the distance is measured in any direction. So up-down or even diagonal.
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  16. so is a chunk a 16x16 square? or is it 16x16 from bedrock to sky?
  17. you may interpret a chunk as 16 blocks. So if it says 3 chunks - you may estimate around 3*16=48 blocks away in some direction.
    We should encourage math more in our EMC gameplay. Make it more educational ;)
  18. Well I'm just going based on this ChunkLoader mod. It draws out a 16x16 block. So that's obviously what a chunk is. I'm just asking if it's 16x16 from bedrock to the sky or not. This is obviously separate from the way the distance from the turkey is calculated but it's still a valid question. The way it seemed to me is that if I'm standing in one chunk and it says it's two chunks away that if I move one chunk over, if I'm closer to the turkey then it'd say I'm now one chunk away. But the way you're describing the calculation, I may not be.

Sorry if this is just terribly obvious to everyone else but I'm just trying to understand it. I'm also at least ten years older than you and have a college degree so I'm familiar with how math works. ;)