(Giveaway) Quote me a Quote! Million rupee giveaway

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by Raaynn, May 4, 2020.

?

Do you like to read?

Poll closed May 24, 2020.
Yes! 13 vote(s) 54.2%
A liitle 9 vote(s) 37.5%
No. 2 vote(s) 8.3%
  1. “This is how a legacy is built. One memory at a time.”

-Mitch Albom, Have a Little Faith
    (I'm requesting this be typed with d or b coloring)

Also Im mailing you a written book, with a longer quote. (if you want more let me know I'll get more!)

P.S. "I just lost the game." -everyone
    Raaynn likes this.
  2. I'm gonna just pull from my AP Literature study guide that saved me last year :p
    "He is only a little boat looking for a harbor" - Linda, Death of a Salesman
    "The young rises when the old doth fall." - Edmund, King Lear
    "We live, I regret to say, in an age of surfaces." - Lady Bracknel, The Importance of Being Earnest

This one is pretty long but it's represents a lot of strong themes in the novel:
    "Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends; they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies." - Isabella, Wuthering Heights
    Raaynn and Egeau like this.
  3. “Beans”
    - it’s gotta be in some book
    Raaynn likes this.
  4. You know what... I know I alredey have an entery, but I'll give you some more for your project :p Most of these come from works that would usually be seen as academic philisophy, not literature, but I guess you might be able to use some of them :)

I tested all these to make sure they fit on signs :)

"l'Homme est condamné à être libre." (Man is condemned to be free.)
    ~ Jean-Paul Sartre - L’être et le néant

"Fiction is the lie trough which we tell the truth"
    ~ Albert Camus - The myth of Sisiyhus

“Πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει." (Everything flows; and no thing abides)
    ~Heraclitus - Fragments (sixth century BCE)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen" (Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.)
    ~Ludwig Wittgenstein - Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

"The meaning of life is that it ends"
    ~Franz Kafka - Letters to Friends, Family and Editors

"We ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us."
    ~Franz Kafka - Letters to Friends, Family and Editors
    Full quote:
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound or stab us. If the book we're reading doesn't wake us up with a blow to the head, what are we reading for? So that it will make us happy, as you write? Good Lord, we would be happy precisely if we had no books, and the kind of books that make us happy are the kind we could write ourselves if we had to. But we need books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is my belief.

Reason is, and ought only to be, the slave of the passions.
    ~David Hume (T II. 3.3 415)

"Man walks a tightrope over an absence of ground." (Couldn't find a conformation online, it is, howerver, a part of a larger quote in my textbook.)
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche - Also Sprach Zaratustra

"Life itself was only futility, a squabble of cap and bells."
    ~Michel Foucault - Madness and civilization
    Full quote:
    "Death's annihilation is no lonbger anything because it was alredey everything, because life itself was only futility, vain words, a squabble of clap and bells. Madness is the Déjà- of death."

"The archeology of thought shows, man is a recent invention."
    ~Michel Foucault - The order of things
    Full quote:
    "Only one, that which began a century and a half ago and is now perhaps drawing to a close has made it possible for the figure of man to appear. And that appearance was not the liberarion of an old anxiety, the translation into luminouis consciousness of and age-old concern, the entry inro objectivity of something that had long remained trapped within beliefs and philosophies: it was the effect of a change in the fundamental arrangements of knowlege. As the archaeology of thought easily shows, man is an invention of recent date. And one perhaps nearing its end.
    If those arrangements were to disapepar as they appeared, if some event of which we can at the moment do no more than sense the possiblity - without knowing either what its form will be or what it promisis - were to cause them to crumble, as the ground of Classical thought did, at the end of the eighteenth century, then one can certainly wager that man would be erased, like a face drawn in sand at the edge of the sea."

“Evil thrives on apathy and cannot survive without it.”
    ~Hanna Arendt - The Origins of Totalitarianism

"Everyone is the Other, and no one is himself."
    “It may be that man wants to think, but cannot.”
    "Langue is the house of the Being."
    ~Martin Heidegger - Being and Time
    Raaynn likes this.
  5. and added! Thank you all, keep em coming :)

(and received book Bonnie, thanks!)
    607 and MissBonnieParker like this.
  6. "The world is a wheel: when we rise or fall, we do it together" - Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Princess
    Raaynn likes this.
  7. Down to the last day bump..
  8. Event now closed to further submissions. Will be drawing winners later today.

Happy Towel Day!
  9. “For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.”
  10. What's that one from?
    Raaynn likes this.
  11. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, as is the next...
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  12. And the results are in!
    4th place goes to MinaTKD
    3rd to AncientTower
    2nd to EnderMagic1
    and finally 1st to 607!

additionally I sent some rupees to everyone who participated (if I missed you just pm me) along with your very own TOWEL! As I unfortunately could not send you all one irl. Because..

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

Happy reading everybody :)

“We are of opinion that instead of letting books grow moldy behind an iron grating, far from the vulgar gaze, it is better to let them wear out by being read.” – Jules Verne
  13. Congrats to the winners
    Merek_Shadower and MinaTKD like this.
  14. Haha, that's great, I'd never heard it before. :D

I wasn't at all expecting to win... :eek: Thank you very much, that's a lot of money and a signature + head is an amazing prize!! :D
    Which quote won, though?
    Raaynn and Temperhyture like this.
  15. No specific quote won.. drawing was just made between all participants
    Impulsive_Egg and 607 like this.
  16. Of course, I forgot it was done by random.org. :oops: I thought you liked one of the quotes I shared. :D
  17. Congrats to the other winners and to everyone else as well that participated, I loved seeing all the quotes. I'd also like to give a BIG THANKS to the host of the giveaway @Raaynn for creating some quote worthy fun.
    607 likes this.
  18. :O congratz all and thanks for the giveaway!
    607 likes this.
  19. Congrats Mina 607 Ender and Tower :)
    607 likes this.
  20. congrats to winners! thank you raaynn for the towel!
    Impulsive_Egg and 607 like this.