(Giveaway) Quote me a Quote! Million rupee giveaway

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by Raaynn, May 4, 2020.

?

Do you like to read?

Poll closed May 24, 2020.
Yes! 13 vote(s) 54.2%
A liitle 9 vote(s) 37.5%
No. 2 vote(s) 8.3%
  1. One of my favorite quotes would have to be We are all mad here from Alice in Wonderland
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  2. Mawagge....Mawagge ihss whyat bwings us twogether twoday.....

Princess Bride..... Aka Smp8

Merek
  3. Hm, I looked for an online tool to check if something fits on a Minecraft sign, but I couldn't find one. :/
    Well, please tell me if it doesn't!
    My favourite book quote is from Charles Dickens' David Copperfield:
    "There can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose."
    I'm not quite sure why, but my favourite quote from the Bible might be this, from chapter 8 of the gospel according to John:
    "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."
    And in one of the books I had to read for English at secondary education, I loved this quote. :D
    "Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead." From The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler.
    I also remember finding some great quotes in the Alice books by Charles Dickens, but I don't remember any off-hand. Let me see if I can find my reports on them. ;)
    I found them, and the quotes were great, but all much too long to fit on a sign, because they rely on conversation between Alice and another character. :)
    I remember very few characters fitting on signs, but maybe that got changed in 1.14? I hope at least the first two quotes fit. :)
    Raaynn likes this.
  4. The only one that actually fits is "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." which I used as I like it.
    Also quite like this with the correction

"and other ones to other people
    walking aimlessly in an increasingly inexplicable world",

alas also does not fit...
    Egeau and 607 like this.
  5. "Hell, It is the Other!" Doesn't fit? wow, I was thinking wayy too big...

Also, I translated all of the Dutch ones myself, without spelling checker (or, a Dutch one) so I might have made some mistakes :p
    Raaynn and 607 like this.
  6. Yep.. also didn't use this one.. fits the sign but not quite correct translation, just decided not to go with it.
    Egeau likes this.
  7. Iv already submitted but here is one

"Raaynn for community manager" - Thefryedmans
    Milosaurus_Rex and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  8. Doesn't seem to be a quote from any book I recall....
    Egeau and liamwill like this.

9. I have been debating myself if I should respond to this... Here you are. I'm a langue nerd, and I care about translations:

All those eyes intent on me. Devouring me. What? Only two of you? I thought there were more; many more. So this is hell. I’d never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the “burning marl.” Old wives’ tales! There’s no need for red-hot pokers. Hell is other people!”

"L'enfer, c'est les Autres" is usually translated to English as "Hell is other people," but I hate that translation, as it often leads to a misunderstanding of what is actually being said. Most people interpret it as a way to say “I prefer being on my own to being with other people,” which really isn’t what the quote is about.
    The best translation I can think of that properly translates that actual message of the quote is "Only hell exists and hell exists only in the eye of the other, in the reflection of ourselves created by whom we are observed," but that is a bit convoluted and a lot longer.
    In the play, three people are locked up for eternity in “hell”, a room, specifically described as having no mirrors. Because of this mirrorlessnes, at some point, they have to describe to each other what they look like, because they cannot see that for themselves. The point of that part is, as is taught in philosophy class, that there are no real mirrors in real life either. Sure, we can see what we look like, but, truly, we cannot see what we look like to others, as their observations are inherently different because of their otherness.
    Because of this, we can only understand ourselves via the way other people reflect us. We can only know who we are, and what we look like to other people, by observing how they respond to us.
    The play then continues with the characters slowly confessing why they are in hell, what they did wrong. After that, they start being more and more mean to each other (Let’s say that because of what came before, I am skipping over quite a lot of story.) At one point, when two have been especially mean to the third, that third can leave: the door of the room opens, jet, he stays. After the door closes again he proclaims the famous line “L’enfer, c’est Les Autres!” Literally: “The damnation, it is the others!”
    He has not been punished to be locked up in a room, he has been punished to be observed by other people. In Being and Nothingness: (L’être et le néant) An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology Jean-Paul Sartre writes: “By the mere appearance of the Other, I am put into a position of passing judgement on myself as on an object, as it is as an object that I appear to the Other” You are always subject to the observation of the Other, you are always trapped within their gaze, within their view of you.
    Jet, existence requires an observer. One cannot be without being in a world, with this knowledge, it is clear that the observation of the other is what is inherent to our own being.
    It is exactly that that is meant with “L’enfer, c’est le Autres!” Hell, damnation, existence as hell, only exists to the extent that the Other observes us to be.

I’ll quote Jean-Paul Sartre himself:
    "L’enfer, c’est Les Autres" has always been misunderstood. It has been thought that what I meant by that was that our relations with other people are always poisoned, that they are invariably hellish relations. But what I really mean is something totally different. I mean that if relations with someone else are twisted, vitiated, then that other person can only be hell. Why? Because […] when we think about ourselves, when we try to know ourselves […] we use the knowledge of us which other people already have. We judge ourselves with the means other people have and have given us for judging ourselves.

When translating the play as a whole “Hell is other people” conveys that message perfectly fine, jet, as a single quote, it misses out on a lot of the context and the reasons why the quote is so good. Because of this, my philosophy teacher usually uses “De verdoeming is de Ander” (Damnation is the Other,) which I personally find doesn’t translate well into English. It misses some meaning. I personally usually use “Hell, it is the Other!” as I find to it be just as concise as this so often misquoted “Hell is other people,” without leading so easily to misunderstanding. It also is grammatically closer to the original French, which I always prefer.

Anyway, that is my long and convoluted way to explain why I translate a single line a bit differently than other people. I’m totally fine with you not including it, by the way, but I just felt like sharing this anyway :p
    liamwill and Raaynn like this.
  10. I feel like "the other" is not a common expression in English, though, which, combined with an ambiguity that Dutch doesn't have ('de ander' vs 'het andere'), leads to another misunderstanding: "the Other" referring to objects instead of people. Besides/moreover, it feels like "the Other" should refer to one single thing or person, while in the piece it seems to mean people in general. In fact, if my understanding of French is good enough, it is plural in French. In Dutch it doesn't have to be, but I'd say it does have to in English.
    liamwill and Raaynn like this.
  11. Totally agree, the problem is the comprehension of what was actually being said, which is much more difficult when dealing with old language. Many of the old phrases cannot be easily translated as their actual meaning ofttimes is no longer relative to local times, and thus not easily understood by many. More so with literal translation which can lose the meaning altogether. Even single words have different meanings sometimes than what they originally referred to, or meanings in each country, making sentences in older language to become even more convoluted. Add to that translation from other languages and, well.... very complicated.

All these issues can really put us in a pickle, eh?
    Egeau, 607 and liamwill like this.
  12. Fair, from the standpoint of someone who hasn't read Sartre.
    Jet, when you have, you know that the capital-o "Other" is a term he uses a lot. And "Les Autres" (Which is indeed plural-ish) is often translated to "the Other" directly in his more academic works (Like l'être et le néant.) I believe it is also sometimes translated to Dutch as "het niet-mij," but more oftenly to "de Ander"
    In his philosophy it is exactly that otherness (dat niet-mij-zijn) that becomes damnation. It is that reflection of the self that doesn't come from the self but from the not-self that is hell.
    In this sense, it is not "the Other," but the Dutch "de Ander" that is a poor translation. This is because it isn't really "Other people" it is the Otherness of the other people that becomes hell. The fact that the Dutch "de Ander" often means "Andere mensen" makes "Hell, het is de Ander" a translation just as good as "Hell is other people," jet, you cannot write around it (That's why I read Sartre in Frensh) Becuase of that, I often just translate it to Dutch as "Hel is andere mensen" that flows a bit better, you know.

In reality: no translation is perfect. I know my dear philosophy teacher always tries to read works of philosphy in its original langue, which is why he is probably the best translator of ancient Greek I have ever met. Translating philosophy, espcially after Wittgenstein, is just really hard. I prefer "Hell, it is the Other" over "Hell is other people" primairly because it is closer to the rest of the litterature in meaning and style, jet, when looking at Huis Clos as something that is primairly a work of art, I can see "Hell is other people" fits most better. I opened my previous post with the full quote, in which, as you can see, "Hell, it is the Other" wouldn't fit too well. "Damnation is the Other" fits a bit better, but loses a bit of meaning.

Ultemetly. Both "Hell is other people" and "Hell, it is the Other." are translations that get some parts right and some wrong. One sounds more poetic, which is why it is used more often. I often prefer the second one, not despite of that, but because of that.
    I often feel like "Hell is other people" quickly means "It's a bad idea to hang around other people," which really isn't what it means, but it gets that meaning because it sounds so simple. "Hell, it is the Other," though a bit more confusing at first sight, gets a lot closer to the actual philosophy, and doesn't lend itself so easily for misinterpretation.

Of course :p Jet, it's Frensh from Paris in the the 50s, which is quite close to contemporairly Frensh. Aditionally: It's quite an "academic" work, meaning proper translation is a bit easier, as the terms used are more strictly defined.
    In case it wasn't clear jet: I followed a Universety module on Existentialsm (School of philosophy Sartre was a part of) in pre-Universety. I can compleatly nerd out over this stuff...

Anyway... I feel like we are getting on a bit of a tangent :p
    liamwill, Raaynn and 607 like this.
  13. "You named him Festus? You know that in Latin, ‘festus’ means ‘happy’? You want us to ride off to save the world on Happy the Dragon?”
    -Rick Riordan, The Lost Hero

I read The Lost Hero back in elementary school. Really got me into the whole "Mythology/Percy Jackson" thing. Havn't read one in a while, but I guess this is a nice place to share a funny quote from a book I like ( and get a chance at half a mil ;} ). I do really like Rick's writing style. The characters are really funny, I swear by the subtle humor and references in his books. Anyway, thanks for the givaway!
    Raaynn and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  14. Percy Jackson is getting a series adaptation on Disney+ now! I hope it doesn't get screwed like the movie did
    Raaynn likes this.
  15. "As far as I know, I'm immortal. Haven't died yet!"
    Raaynn likes this.
  16. Didn't all fit, but used the last sentence. :)

Good line! Me too!
    MrAdazahi likes this.
  17. "Get your tears out now or they'll come out when you least expect" -My mom quoting a childeren's book from her childhood.
    Raaynn and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  18. ((I haven't died, therefore death must be a myth))
    Sprhyngtime and Raaynn like this.
  19. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - Weasley Brothers
    Raaynn likes this.