Generate new chunks in Wilderness?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Numilani, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Hey, all!

Been a while since I've been around, and I'm curious about something. Looking on the Dynmap for SMP8, it seems like after around -50,000 Z, the world hasn't been generated yet. Does this mean that it is possible for new biomes to generate in these chunks, or has the entire map been pre-generated to a certain distance?
    luckycordel likes this.
  2. I'm pretty sure new biomes can generate in those chunks. As long as nobody has been there before and loaded that area at some point it should load new biomes.
    luckycordel and 607 like this.
  3. We have also released spawn points further out 1million blocks /wild ne,nw,se,sw and all areas in the /map that are black will generate the latest release. So if you're looking for a far out spot to hopefully find an ocean for 1.13 then there is plenty of space out there.
  4. Just keep in mind, if you go there now they won't be 1.13. So hang on until then.
  5. Should be noted that the current world border is at 1.5mil blocks
    luckycordel likes this.
  6. ...do you know this from experience...?
    607 likes this.
  7. Yes
    ShelLuser, 607 and ASliceOfRhyBread like this.
  8. I kind of wonder how much hard drive space EMC's servers must need for every chunk, +/-1.5 million on the Z/X axis...

Maybe that's why it's limited at 50,000? You know, to save reasonable amounts of money?
  9. Yup, when one goes into the black areas on the livemap, new world area will be generated in the current minecraft version of EMC. So if you wait until 1.13 is released on EMC, the new area generated will have the new ocean and other biomes. :)

It's limited at 1.5 mil, not 50,000. :p
    ForeverMaster and Tuqueque like this.
  10. All that money required for storing all that data...
  11. Most chunks haven't been generated yet, and as such don't need to be stored. Still, I reckon there are very many chunks that have been generated but haven't been altered; generated simply by a single person travelling through or near them.
    Tuqueque likes this.
  12. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned, I mean, EMC is still making money off of some people, so they can afford it.

(I've never hosted a Minecraft sever, but from what I've heard, it's not very resource demanding.)
  13. Well, that heavily depends on the type of server and how it was set up and is being used.

For example: 20 players playing in relative close proximity to each other (say within a town they're building) would take up less resources (in this case memory) than 5 people building their own mega structures yet far away from each other. For the simple reason that those 20 players take up a few chunks with plenty of overlap whereas those 5 players each load in a separate "chunk area" which the server needs to keep in memory for them to interact with their surroundings.

And that's only looking at buildings and doesn't even take entities and other tasks into account (think about mob spawning and applying world mechanics and such).

Don't underestimate this stuff; Minecraft can be very resource hungry if it's being actively used.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  14. More than you'd think, see at the bottom of this page: https://empireminecraft.com/upgrade. :)
    ShelLuser, luckycordel and 607 like this.
  15. Storage space is both cheap and in large supply - plus, Minecraft doesn't really use a lot of storage space. The more expensive aspects are the things that shel was referencing - the CPU and RAM you have to pay for to be able to run the server itself, not store the necessary data.

Based on the details listed for the server specs on the Supporter page, I would guess there is about 300GB of allocated space for each SMP. Thus, the data used by each SMP will likely be much lower than that, in order to create a "buffer" and not run out of storage space. EMC's database resides on a separate server, and my guess is it probably has more data in it than the SMPs do :p

Of course, only Aikar knows the actual details of each SMP's resource usage. The above is all just speculation based on my limited knowledge of EMC's setup ;)
  16. It's at times like this I wonder why Notch never made Minecraft multi-threaded.

(To be fair, in his defense, he never expected Minecraft to get this far, letalone turn into a business...)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. I've seen this before, they're simple workstation machines.

At least the servers are multi-threaded (I hope...)
  18. I can only imagine all the heat that those machines produce...

And I thought my render workstations were hot...