Frontier players: would you consider this service?

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by ShelLuser, Jul 13, 2016.

?

Would you rely on GRIP jobs to help you do repairs in the Frontier?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2016.
Yes 4 vote(s) 57.1%
I don't know (yet) 2 vote(s) 28.6%
No: I know enough players to help me 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No: No one is allowed on mine/our Frontier base 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No: I just don't think this would work 1 vote(s) 14.3%
Other (please leave a comment below!) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Hi gang,

Say you got griefed and you don't have enough friends available (for whatever reason) to help you repair stuff. Your base is super secret (of course), so now what?

My plan: GRIP jobs. I hope you know GRIP, if not: we can refund items if you find yourself griefed. See the link for more info. With GRIP jobs we'll take care of getting trusted players together who can help you repair things and we'll also set up some fail saves "just in case" (see link below). We pay them for it, so you don't have to worry about a massive repair you're not really looking out for. Just tell the (temporary) GRIP workers what to do and we'll do it.

When the repair is finished players will leave the area, we pay them, and that's it.

For more details please see this post: https://empireminecraft.com/threads/grip-supporting-you-when-griefed.55826/page-4#post-1205135

The obvious question: would you as Frontier player consider to use such a service? So: would you trust GRIP enough to round up a specific selection of players to help you repair your Frontier build?
    Patr1cV and SirTah like this.
  2. So how can i be assured that the workers can be trusted or not?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. That's where the trust part comes into play. In short: we cannot rule out everything. But I am working out a plan to minimize the risk as much as possible (still work in progress).

The long version:

Basically we'd set up a process where players can apply to be working for GRIP. It would be a questionnaire with several specific things which we'd want to know. Players won't know up front what they're going to be working on. The only thing which will be somewhat certain is that it's going to happen on another SMP than the one they normally play on.

Coordinates won't be given to players, only specific GRIP members. We set up a meeting (time/place) with the players and a GRIP member leads them to the location. I know this can't stop players from recording the coordinates themselves.

The repair would have to be done in one go if possible (details need to be worked out here). Players only get paid after we're done and after we've ensured that they left the area. Players will also earn a pay which would make it more profitable not to mess up and gain more trust with us.

But we'd also keep logs on everything we worked on which includes a rough location, the time of the repair and the people who worked on it. This info would only be shared with the staff when requested.

The idea is simple: if something does happen x time afterwards and the staff finds out the names of the players then they could run that with our journal which will tell them exactly what happened. So if they noticed that player-x accessed a chest 4 days ago while our journal shows that we've been doing a repair 2 months ago then it becomes pretty obvious what's going on here.

Of course the whole plan is still being worked on, I don't have any final plans yet. But I can say that there will always be a certain risk. But it'll be a risk which we can help to minimize.
    Patr1cV likes this.
  4. Personally I would say no because once anti-grief comes out, any blocks you (or team) place are protected by you and I couldn't change them.
    bitemenow15 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. Definitely. In most cases, what matters isn't the materials lost, but the time needed to rebuild. So yeah, such helpers would be nice.

It is quite clear that antigrief is currently not a top priority, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. And obviously, there would be the need to allow/disallow block placement on a per-player basis, since an outpost can have several members cooperating on a single project. So it doesn't seem it should be a concern in any case.
  6. And a wee bump, thanks for all the input so far!
    Patr1cV likes this.
  7. Bump for the heck of it :)
    Patr1cV likes this.