Friends and I have been lagging extremely hard.

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by AdinD, Feb 24, 2017.

1. The thing is that I don't think that the ping is the problem. I think it is the server choking because there is too much data entering. @aikar could you give us some info on this please?
  2. I personally think your liquid cooling is at fault here. Have you checked the hoses?
    jkjkjk182, kaptrix and TromboneSteve like this.
  3. If the server was lagging you would get a auto warning telling you the server is lagging and things such as hoppers will slow down.

As for that, It does seem like your internet. Juts coz you ping is 70, does not mean its not you, if you connection has say a high upload and low download speed it can effect your gameplay.

On my old connection i had all the stuff you talked about, but that was due to my download speeds being over 20x higher than the upload speed, and at the same time my ping was 40ms.

At the new house, I have 100mb/s down and up, and around same ping with no issues.

Then there is also the computer fact, and could be slight game lag.

And this is coming from a CCENT Networker....
    607 likes this.
  4. -1 (everyone forgot this was a suggestion? :D)

What a lot of you guys are overlooking is that the statement "my internet is fine" doesn't apply in these situations. No offense: it actually makes no sense at all.

When you play on the Empire (or visit anything else on the Internet, like your favorite website) then you're not on a 1 on 1 connection. Your data will pass through dozens of different systems (usually routers) in order to reach it. And the same applies with all the returning data (stuff sent to you from said website or server or whatever).

If one of those routers has an issue then that could easily be causing problems for you during gameplay. Even though others may not experience this problem. You could even go to your average Internet speedtest site (which are highly overrated!) and assume that everything on your end is fully ok. Even though the test is utterly flawed to begin with: what makes you think that the data to/from those websites follows the same route as to whatever site is causing issues?

I'm not just saying mind you:

Code:
    macron:/home/peter $ traceroute -n smp2.emc.gs | wc -l
    traceroute to emc.gs (199.167.148.188), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets

macron:/home/peter $ traceroute -n tools.pingdom.com | wc -l
    traceroute: Warning: tools.pingdom.com has multiple addresses; using 104.20.43.114
    traceroute to tools.pingdom.com (104.20.43.114), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets

Sometimes I suffer from a total outage (can't reach EMC at all) even though another connection in a city only 30km away has no issues what so ever. I pinpointed the cause of that problem to a few routers in the US. So: I couldn't reach the EMC website nor the servers, but could reach all of my other favorite sites and servers. Even those located in the US. You might be tempted to blame EMC at first glimpse, but they had nothing to do with it at all.

Having said that I think that your problems aren't directly caused by EMC's servers, yet more so with your Internet connection. Or, more specifically: by a few routers between you and the EMC servers which are causing all this.

Best way to look into all that is to try a few traceroutes (tracert on Windows) and see what pops up.
  5. When pinging the forum server it always timed out on the second to last hop. That's a routing problem.
  6. I actually learned a lot from this
    607, Gartanno and ShelLuser like this.
  7. Actually it's not.
  8. Happened to all my computers and my friends computers (different states).

100 down 10 up. Cat6 running through my house with my router custom configured to give highest priority to my computer and my games. I've even had a technition come out and run pingtests/loss tests/etc from my eithernet port and network switch to cable running out of my house and to the data center with both connections being near perfect (<1ms through my house, 0% loss - <5ms to data center [I think] and 0% loss].

Again, I'll record a video tonight to show the lag.
    Gartanno likes this.
  9. What is it then? If it's not a routing problem why would doing something like using a different link fix it then?
    Gartanno likes this.
  10. Keep well in mind that we're not denying the fact that you're having issues. I don't need a video to be convinced of that, if you didn't then you wouldn't have taken the effort to post this. However, I do disagree with your conclusion that the cause of the whole thing is EMC.

And I base that on everything I read on this thread so far. For example; your last conclusion that a ping / traceroute timeout is proof of a routing issue is simply wrong.

My first answer was brief, so to elaborate: if it was a routing issue you wouldn't be able to access said website. You're overlooking the fact that an Internet server uses dozens of different protocols and ports for different kinds of data and services. Accessing a website is done by accessing port 80, where TCP and UDP are the main protocols being used. A ping uses a totally different protocol (ICMP) which is also handled differently. Instead of using a port it uses a different type: ICMP-echo / ICMP-echorep (echo request/echo return, often used with traceroute).

ICMP is used for dozens of other things as well; server information requests, data redirection, router advertisements, protocol masking even time based services. Usually these aren't things which you'd use yourself but which are handled by the tools you're using. Tracert being one of them.

But the thing you overlooked above: it's perfectly common for a router or server to block ICMP while still accepting other packets. Pinging is something which gobbles up precious resources, which are much better spent on a routers main job: routing data. So when a router blocks this it does not indicate a routing problem, at most it indicates a firewall rule which allows regular data (like the above web data for example) yet denies unwanted ICMP echo requests.

Once again, I need to stress this out: I don't deny the fact that you're having issues, I'm also not trying to make it sound as if there's nothing wrong. However... We do seem to have a disagreement on the cause of those issues ;)

If you'd like I can sent some info your way (pointers to some utilities) through a PM later this weekend (maybe delayed to next week) which could be of some use to fully diagnose your connection between EMC & yourself.
    607 likes this.
  11. Oh I wasn't getting video proof because I thought you doubted me, I was going to record it to help everyone understand the situation better.

I didn't mean that routing was the problem for the in game lag, I thought it was the problem with the server timing out. It tries to access the site but takes the wrong route, times out, and then reaches the website a few moments after the timeout where I assume it reroutes. On my network sometimes on mobile the site will take 10 seconds per page even though everything is configured fine but the routing messes up.

I think this is correct? I'm not an expect, just someone who uses the internet and took 2 out of 4 CS/networking classes.
    Gartanno likes this.
  12. I was making a funny. Actually made me laugh for longer than you'd think it would too. I was going to continue on with it by asking you if your other computers had liquid cooling but I think I got a good amount of laughing in so there is no need to continue.

I wish you luck in your crusade to not have lag and generally agree with everyone who has stated that it's something other than the EMC servers. All technical information aside, logically if the EMC servers were at fault then more players would have an issue and not just a small group of players.
  13. This sounds like a latency issue, possibly from a bad line. I had a similar problem in my last apartment where my internet would be working just fine until I started playing on EMC and spent months thinking there was something going on with the server side. After experimentation and months of talking to customer support, it was eventually discovered I had a bad line (which wasn't replaced cause my ISP was awful...go figure).

Check into your packet losses when you run latency tests. Or, ideally, have your ISP check into it in case it actually is a bad line on your end; they'll have a better capacity of diagnosing specific line issues if it turns out to be the problem.
  14. The sad part is this has been done already and every single game works fine BUT Minecraft. It's odd. Even at a house 3 miles from mine arrows just bounce off of other players (pvp server ofc)
  15. Hmm...maybe something's up with the hub? Internet lines don't go directly to the house from the company; they usually pass through a number of central points where lines congregate and disperse information. There's the chance the latency issues could trace back there.
  16. Do you have cable internet per chance?
    3 miles is not enough to be conclusive evidence of a server problem. It does say something about there possibly being a regional problem. If it is a regional problem, then that is likely out of EMC's hands.
  17. As players said could be a cable problem. Were i live in can go with rogers only as bells lines are damaged. There was a forest fires a few years ago that damaged the lines. They still work but can be effected be wind, rain, snow, etc.

So could be the same situation or close in a area of the lines.
  18. yes you are correct on this but but at the same time so is Jay2a. when you connect to an smp server you will never connect directly to it. each company that host using servers have servers dedicated to tell your comp what sever to connect to. so no mater what depending on the size of the company we are all connected to the same server before or severs before we connect to the smp server we are trying to get to. along with that we are all connected to a local IP sever or severs but not the same one. each internet provider has their own local network server. so that part depends on the company that provides you your internet. a way to look at it is when you get on you connect to a local ip (same as everyone using the same internet provider as you, then to other severs and computers ( not the same as everyone and my be different every time you log on), from there to the company that host the smp server( same as every one) from there to the actual smp server
  19. I think you're slightly confused on this. I'm not referring to the connection process, but the actual servers themselves. When you connect to play.emc.gs, you're sent to BungeeCord which is 1 server using 1 IP. Then if you're sent to SMP4, that server uses a different IP to SMP9. The web server runs on its own IP. The servers that actually host the game servers run independently of each other.
    synth_apparition likes this.
  20. dont forget the mojang session servers. Without those you would not be able to connect to EMC as it would not be able to verify your game.