[Event] Going to the Moon!

Discussion in 'Empire Events' started by JDHallows, Jul 18, 2017.

1. For the prizes, I think signed books are better as they can't be replicated by any player. Too bad there can't be some simple sort of promos for events like this.
  2. Just did the test. It was really fun! :)
    Eviltoade, JDHallows and ShelLuser like this.
  3. There can be, but we made the decision not to and to keep the focus on having fun. There was an EMC before promos ya know.
  4. I am glad to see that the event has been enjoyed by so many people. We have had 85 test submissions so far!

Also, over night an anonymous 3rd party decided they wanted to double our prize pool! They have donated rupees so that the prizes will now be 20k rupees for each of the 5 players whose names are pulled in the drawing.

Hopefully everyone has enjoyed the event as much as toade and I enjoyed building it. ;) Good work and I hope to continue to see you guys on the Moon over the next couple days!
  5. This is freaking awesome :)
  6. This should be a custom achievement
  7. I finally got to the Dark side of the moon and on my way to Mars
  8. I mentioned this to my daughter and I'm not allow to visit yet until she's here.. :cool: Can't wait to see it!
  9. Prob can't make it, internet is down....

Edit: Nvm, internet decided to fix itself.
  10. Just hit 100 submissions for the test on the Moon Base, woot!
    NuclearBobomb, 607, ShelLuser and 2 others like this.
  11. Thats so exciting! :D
    JDHallows likes this.
  12. So I went through Bootcamp to check out the moon, it was quite the adventure. I have to say that my favorite part was the rocket, that just looked amazing to me. :eek:
    I also really liked how you did the fence Hurdles in Bootcamp as it still looked cool.
    Seriously though, you guys did a Great Job. Keep up the good work!!! :)

~SUPERI0N
  13. This event has officially ended, the test is now closed and will no longer accept player submissions.

Thank you all for playing this event, it has been a *blast* building it all and hosting it for you guys! I will be reviewing the test submissions throughout the day on Sunday, and will hopefully have a full list of winners and have the drawing finished to determine which 5 players will win 20k rupees each.

In the meantime, feel free to leave comments about this event on this thread, or if you feel more comfortable with it, send me a pm. If you can think of ways this event could have been improved, changed for the better, less confusing, etc, let me know! The events team is always looking for creative and innovative ideas about how to improve events.
    (This event, for example, was actually based on an on-going conversation I was having with a regular player. Shout-out to Sazukemono for the original idea, and for keeping the event a secret the whole time leading up to it!)

Thank you again for a great few days, and I hope to continue to see you guys in-game ;)
  14. This was a great event and really *Took Off*, a great way also of distributing some rupees.

I think you could expand this to other planets and add puzzles just as an adventure map with space stations.

It would also be cooler on its own map with no world just dark space over a void space so if you fall off you die.

Excellent idea guys keep up the good work.
  15. Amazing event. Amazing builds. Hat off to you JD, you have really brought the events on Empire to a new level.
    I do have one suggestion for this event. It took a very long time to do this event. I about pulled my hair out doing the parkour. There were a bunch of questions. I would really hate a player to go all the way through the event and maybe get one question wrong. A typo, counted the lanterns incorrectly. Maybe still let them have the award if they get one wrong. Wonderful event, can't wait to see what's next. Thanks for all your hard work.
  16. Same here. However, they have changed one thing by allowing us to use /gtp. Which is my tip: if you can't make it ask someone to pick you up on top of the parkour.

I also discovered that they even added (? I could also have easily overlooked them) teleport signs which allow you to teleport back down to earth. Someone who is on the moon can get to the top of the parkour in a minute or so to pick you up without spoiling the rest of the trip.
    JDHallows and TuckerAmbr like this.
  17. That is all good information that I was not aware of. I mostly worry about new members. Don't want to dishearten them if we can avoid it. I guess I'm just an old softie.
    JDHallows and ShelLuser like this.
  18. o/~ Fly me to the Moon, and let me play amongst the stars o/~

Shell's promised review, with special thanks to Rundercaster, AyanamiKun and grumpy alt :D

Now, I really enjoyed this event for a multiple of reasons. But.. for me the most important one is that this had 'play your way' written all over it. I've seen players follow the same (walking) patterns which later turned out to be because of the questionnaire (I can't comment on that because I ignored it). And I saw other players who, like me, simply followed the trail and marveled at the work and the effort which has been spent on all this. This was amazing, as both an event but also as a building project. Super impressive.

SO here is my take on this piece of event art....

I am going to Moonbase bootcamp. You need to take a busride and after a while you'll eventually arrive at the start, along the way I met up with someone and we started talking a bit. Busrides always end too quick when you're having fun ;)

After thanking the driver it was time to start bootcamp!

We decided to use res chat in an attempt to maybe pick up more players ;)

And it immediately became clear how much work has been put into this. I mean... isn't this an impressive sight:

And this screenshot also showcases why I am still so utterly impressed over all this. What is the #1 comment you get when talking about open world games? Well: "See that spot in the background, you can actually go there!".

See the cockpit near the top of the screenshot? You can actually get in there! :)

After signing in and taking a quick medical exam at the two starting booths the real work started. After all, this is bootcamp and bootcamp aint for the weak of heart! :mad:

I get tired once again when I think back ;)

Mud track, hurdles, underground obstacles, 100m sprint, swimming and the deadly fire track :confused:

Some obstacles were definitely not for the faint of heart... you could actually die here! :eek:

I wonder if you can also get your head this way ;)

Although barrier blocks were used to guide us they also added up to the whole exploration part. When Aya played this the first time she honestly (and openly) complained about the barrier blocks not allowing her to explore.

But as you can see here the design was much more thought out than that:

This course had everything you can imagine.. after hitting the libraries to read up about everything we needed to know it was time to get fysical.. space sims!

Eventually we finally made our way to the shuttle itself, now it was time to get moving! :cool:

Bonus points for the one who spots the hidden Rundercaster ;)

After a small obstacle:

We finally made it!

I'll bet those parrots pulled Runder all the way up the obstacle course :p

And all of a sudden, we were in space! :cool:

And this place had tons of things to explore. From moon farms, caves and mines right down to the legit dark side of the moon ;) And of course...

The moonlander!

Although something tells me that the Millenium Falcon and Darth Toade's tie fighter weren't part of the original landing :D

But yeah, here you go... This was a very cool experience which had tons of things to see and do.....

When in space, always wear a space helmet!

Now... I made 36 pictures in total, I already used quite a lot here but not everything. If you want to check out all the screenies (including a naughty one! :eek:) then please see my public Imgur JDToade album!

Having said that... Thanks once again to JDHallows & EvilToade, this was plain out awesome!

(edit, almost forgot)

One final time then.... (at the request of Aya ;)):

19. Thanks for the great review shel! As for the falcon and tie fighter, I thought it would be kind of fun to stick those in there :p, especially with how amazing iamcavie's building skills are when it comes to his Star Wars builds. :eek:

This was really just a 'test event' to see how well it would be received by the community, and the response so far has been great. There are definitely plans to take this idea and expand on it for future events, and I am taking many of the comments we have received into consideration for future iterations of it.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  20. Mars