[EVENT] EVILTOADE'S (2 million rupee) AMAZING RACE!

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by Eviltoade, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Apparently they made a bunch of tunnels in each direction. Their assumption was that the race would be held on smp1. In this case their assumption was correct, but all their work ahead of time would have been for nothing had they been wrong. I didn't state that doing any prep work was against the rules nor using the nether, so they are still the official winners.
  2. Though I don't quite like the method used, I'm impressed with the time and effort that must've gone into all those tunnels. Congrats to them; they deserve the win, if they put that much work into it. :) Though I would think that their method would take a bit of the fun out of it. :p I guess 2 million rupees is worth more than fun, eh? ;)
    607, codygraw101, guhenry3 and 3 others like this.
  3. Geez and to think me and Penguin started from scratch, making portals, digging where we needed to and made it to 4th/5th. lol
    khixan, 607, jhtk01 and 2 others like this.
  4. I believe I came in 6th (didn't see any others), but you can correct me if I'm wrong. First person to come in using only the Overworld. :cool: Now, to convince Mojang to remove the Nether...

Anyway, thanks for a fantastic event, eviltoade! :D It was quite a good time. :)
    khixan, eviltoade and ThaKloned like this.
  5. Wow overworld only. Not bad at all. I'm pretty sure you were 6th. I only saw the ones that placed 1-4. And I even had to go back to town to get the blocks that where in my chest XD

But like you said it was a fantastic event and regardless of prizes was very fun and hopefully something that can be done again maybe across all servers and longer.
    eviltoade and hashhog3000 like this.
  6. Yeah hasshog was 6th. :)
  7. If you have an effv pick you can sprint and mine through the nether towards your coords. the pre dug tunnels would have only made it a little bit faster had you run into lava(fire resist obviously) which would slow you down a little or the fact that you could ender pearl to travel about twice as fast through already dug tunnels than sprinting.

Being that I'm in the nether literally every day to save time travelling to me it was a no-brainer but I can see where other people wouldn't think about it. Especially when everyone was talking about all kinds of things to make you go faster that consequently only made them take longer ;-)

From what Ivan said it sounds like they just sprinted through the tunnels and didn't use ender pearls. I am so angry with irl money right now, enslaving me during the time of this event lol.

Edit: I almost said something about my flint and steel before the event on my profile page then decided better of it.
  8. He never said I didn't get half :D
    607, codygraw101, hashhog3000 and 2 others like this.
  9. Portals,... good idea, I hadn't considered that. I, too, went overland. Thanks for the event. It was fun.
  10. We had dug in the direction of each outpost, 2750 blocks. Essentially equivalent to 4000 blocks from 0,0 in the nether, in the four directions. Out plan was to match the further coordinate using our tunnels and eff5 out another tunnel that would be shorter. We had speed pots down the tunnels that took us 74 blocks per second. The tunnels were at Y=120, just below bedrock so we wouldn't run into lava pools or caves. Once we arrive at the nether equivalent, we set up new portals and track the location in the overworld. Henry went to the dirt and I went to the sand. Upon getting our blocks, we took each other's tunnels to get to the other one. This was much faster than traveling together since sprinting down tunnels is faster then digging new ones. We EC suicided today get back to town.
    Along with that, we had expected the coordinates to take is at least 10000 blocks out, as we did with out simulated tests. We ran four tests on a private server but failed all four times to stupid deaths. This helped us improve our kits for the today. We soon learned a sword would be rendered useless and we wouldn't need ended pearls. We also found out that we needed more obsidian, triple the amount to build one portal because at Y 120 bedrock can appear where you would want the portal, so we were bound to mess up.
    We had never expected to win against everyone else, it was all pure luck. We also had a lot of miscommunication and problems as my internet failed me 15 minutes prior, but I got it back.
    Aside from that we also tried to run an alt to see if we could also get third but miscommunication failed it. When PenguinDJ claimed 4th, the alt was locating the second block.

I don't want anybody saying it was cheap, because many things can happen.
    A lesson for the future, always consider the most awkward of ways to achieve a goal.
    Thanks to ET for this amazing event, and to everyone who put the pressure on me.
    khixan, 607, codygraw101 and 4 others like this.
  11. Sorry for spelling errors, this was typed out on a phone.
  12. Weeks of prep eh lol Damn lots of work... me and Penguin teamed up minutes before :D Just shows you that it's anyone's to win.
    hashhog3000, Gawadrolt and PenguinDJ like this.
  13. You and Henry put a lot of thinking, prep, and time into this. You deserve it and your victory was not cheap in any manner. It was earned.

I give you tons of credit for the planning, digging , and the simulation runs (wow, testing your solution - that is something!) But I'm most impressed by the manner in which you tackled this problem and the elegance of your solution. It was beautiful. I also thank you for sharing the methodology you employed with us... you showed remarkable professionalism and grace in your planning, work and sharing with the community. I know I learned something.

By contrast, I did it old-school and did not plan: I rushed 20 minutes beforehand to gather supplies, showed up in iron armor and w/o potions, and felt like I was not well-prepared. I had numerous disconnects which only fed the lack of planning on my part. Once it started, it took me a while to get to the first location due to a combination of factors. I went overland and (ugh!!) went to the opposite Z. I was not even at the first location when ET had called the event a win (I was still in a boat making my way to loc #1). Thereafter, it took me a long time to get back to town w/o EC and killing my char. I didn't know it then but it was my way to see how fast I could do it and I clearly didn't have it thought out. By contrast I can now see how incredibly elegant your solution was.. I give you guys a lot of respect.

Thanks to ET for the event. It was a nice evening. Kudos to the winners and to all the participants. It was fun and that was what this game is about.

-JHTK01
  14. Even though I do not agree with the method used to win, I congratulate all the winners. I bet many people had a load of fun with this, so I thank Toade for the hard work he had put into this :)
    hashhog3000 and ThaKloned like this.
  15. The kit proved to be a major factor in this event. We've learned a lot, like having spare obsidian is always a benefit when making a portal, and having a sword isn't always a good thing. We took out lava buckets but added them back in afterwards. Anything in the slightest was important to the final factor.
    We would meet at the "park" between us and discuss. At points we felt that we would never win, that we wasted all our time on this (especially when we heard abound PenguinDJ...)
    Anyways, I'd also like to thank Xenarchy for encouraging us to do our best.
    And again, thank you ET.
    Edit: Adding onto that, I'd also like to thank Gweeedz for getting us cheap gear.
    khixan, 607, guhenry3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Oh wow, that was very well planned! Congrats!
    But also definitely a big congratulations to the people who didn't have as much time to plan ahead, and yet made the trip to both locations and back! :)