End of 11 - Boss Bars / bugs / misc - 6/6/17

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jun 6, 2017.

1. The completion bug is due to changes in the command system - I actually refactored our command system to make it usable by other (Java based) games too :) (See here for the framework) So since its no longer Minecraft/Bukkit specific, falling back to default player list didn't make sense.

This requires us to explicitly define that we want online players to be the tab complete on all commands, so we just need to go add the completion rules to them.

Also, there is another known bug is that voting notifications, rupee notifications, shop notifications and other like things that send you messages based on actions that happened on a different server than the 1 you are currently on (most votes are handled either by smp1 or a random SMP, then notifies you) are currently broken.

You're getting credit and rewards correctly, just that in game message letting you see it got registered isn't working.
    I don't consider this high priority, so I'm not going to do a hotfix to 1.11.2. The fix will wait for 1.12.
  2. So today I came across Momentus (or... better said he found me :D) and I really enjoy the new boss bars for the simple reason that this solves a long time complaint I've had when it came to boss fights: the feeling of not making any progress at all.

I've fought Momentus on diff 10 with a good friend of mine, the both of us only wearing voters gear and we've been at it for 45minutes after which we decided to try and lower the difficulty for the simple reason that we didn't felt like we were making any progress. As it turned out we did, but how were we to know?

This really solves that problem, and I'm really planning on trying again sometime.

I do have one comment, but it's purely cosmetic: I'm wondering if the bars could be pulled up once the (mini)boss is engaged in a fight?

Its but a small detail, but those bars can help you find those mini bosses: once you see a bar you'll know a boss is around. Not much of an issue if you already fight one, but it can "spoil" the chase a bit when you're looking for one, because your area is pretty much beaconed off.

As said: it's a small detail, definitely not game changing, but I still wondered about it.
    607 likes this.
  3. I think I spotted either a typo or a bug.

Being a huge fan of the compass feature (planning a guide update when Aya comes online) I got excited when I saw this but yeah... I think /compass residence is limited to named residence locations, and does not point you to other players residences.

Which, now that I mentioned it, I'd also like to suggest as an option even though I can definitely see why named locations are better suited (treasure hunt with indicators ftw!).

And btw you guys are awesome with adding that 'current' feature... I really wanted that for quite a while, and now it's here <plinks some tears of joy away> :)

(if you, random reader, are now confused about my enthusiasm then allow me to tell you why I think the compass became totally awesome quite a while ago :D).
    607 and Sazukemono like this.
  4. Well. the typo, was that I told y'all the usage wrong.
    /compass residence (res) (loc).

So, I think they are both optional. Add !res-name to specify a residence. And you can also add locations.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  5. Brilliant! Yes, you're fully right (what else is new? ;)). I totally forgot about the !, which is kind of silly because I use that quite often when changing my permission flags while in the wilderness :)

Thanks!
    607 likes this.
  6. Please note: my information is based on hearsay. I'd love to try this out for myself to form a more educated opinion, but I don't have a residence I'm willing to give up.

So today I noticed a new player on SMP2 who really wanted to be on the same server as his friend who happened to be on SMP4. As I always do in such situations I helped the guy out, including unclaiming his residence. I can't help wonder if you guys haven't made this process a little bit too complex, because it sure as heck took the new player quite a long time to sort it all out.

And just so we're clear: he was obviously not a youngster who just began with Minecraft; after I told him about /vault on SMP2 he didn't need anymore instructions to get his tools back. Once I explained force claiming to him (which went wrong at first, but I'll contact you guys about that in private) I didn't have to explain twice because when we sorted out the mishap he had the res. we found for him claimed in no time (he's now a direct neighbor with his friend, much to his delight).

Here's a new players impression:

(yes, I deliberately 'abused' town chat; first thing not to do is to overload new players with tons of extra info, I postponed that until we were on smp4)

Please note: I'm not claiming that it's too hard, but I am wondering how hard this is on new players (who might be the first to use this in order to move closer to their friends).

Hope this can help somewhat.