Empire Subway

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kilmannan, Dec 23, 2011.

1. can i help you build a am a master at redsone
  2. It would be food but it would be complicated. It would help if there were a mod so you just hit the res number on one of the rails an you would get spawned into a track and speed there. But I like it either way. But right now the more practical thing to do is to use the nether portals with the signs below them. For mow
  3. Agreed, the -practical- thing to do is use Nether portals but is it the -fun- thing to do?
  4. I like this idea. Screw practicality, I'd love to zip around town in a minecart. In fact, if we had such a system, I'd probably never teleport again!

Personally, I think it should be a moderator-controlled, community-driven project. I am currently building a townhall/skyscraper-type complex, so a subway station in the basement would be the perfect touch!
    The digging wouldn't be too hard and I can provide oodles of redstone and tracks. Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

I'll be online in another two weeks, but until then, I'll continue faithfully checking this thread. I'd love to see this happen, it'd be another great feature for the Empire!
  5. maybe some people who wanted to participate in it have to pay rupees or diamonds to be able to participate in this project. If they give some of their own stuff they are probably less likely to grief. Or if they have been a active member for over 3 weeks or something they could be eligible to participate in this project. Just an option...
  6. I think the Empire should get a vehicle plug in so you put some coal in it and drive it. because it would be so good to see everyone's house by car and it would help the mods and admins because I can always see JustinGuy on the live map walking the streets and it would be nice to have our own drive way to park your car :) but a car is 1,000 or something from the shop :) or we could have helicopters (joke about the helicopters) and their could be a /res pset vehicle [name] true thing :) it would be a unique feature to the Empire what will make The Empires rating higher on server forums than everyone else i hope others agree with me :)

(I'm thinking of a Jeep sort of thing open roof and 4 seater so you drive with your friends ) Because that would make people look at more houses and find out hidden but amazing shops across the Empire and have a laugh over Skype with your friends when you run out of fuel. so one of you goes home to get more coal. and justin or a admin could try and make a command when you do "/home" in your car you appear next to your house (so the streets don't get full of abandoned cars and their could be something like if your car is not moving for 10 minutes it appears at you residence well has no one in it and still) and this could be an extra perk for supporters like only supporters can drive/own a car and that would make more people want to become a supporter what make JustinGuy more able to make improvements to his wonderful Empire.

A bit long but I hope you read it :/ post what you think on a misc forum called "The Empire By Roads"
  7. All the vehicle mods I've tried are a bit iffy, although the Airship mod, whilst the movement was crap, was a great way to traverse the Wild (Although it removed all sense of danger as you were flying well above the mobs!).

People are really getting caught up in the griefing aspect of doing this project. We need to keep in mind that griefing is only temporary and can be instantly rolled back. I used to love on my last sever, watching someone smash my build down, taking ten-fifteen minutes of their time and then 'click' and it's all back to normal again.

Griefing will not be an issue during this build, so lets leave that argument out of it.

There may even be the potential for a number of people to have minimal rights to roll back and nothing else if Empire felt this was something appropriate.

I think there is a definite missing-of-the-point in that the aim of this is to be a fun Community project, not a quick fix 'Let the mods build it'.
  8. There is no "roll back" feature here on empire. There is no real need for it. Each player is given the rights to govern the permissions on their own personal lot, and everybody knows the high risk of griefing when building in the wilderness. This means that any griefing could have been prevented and if we just had the power to "roll back" the damage, there would be no lessons learned.
  9. I agree with you whole heartedly Shaun. Giving players the ability to govern their own res is what makes the empire so great :)
  10. i love this idea and I can donate a lot of iron :):D
    when will we begin building the subway?
  11. I thought that one of the basic rights of any moderator on EC was the ability to roll back damage or mass griefing, although one that admittedly doesn't see much use? It's a fairly standard right across every other server I've ever used, would be surprised if it wasn't here.
  12. I think it's a great idea although it sounds like a grief plan to me... perms to the whole Empire would be a huge risk for Justin and Jeremy they'd probably go against that part, and another thing why would the admins make us do this legtily when they can use World Edit? If this happens I'm not joining. No offense but I wouldn't want to waste what I have on the subway for the Empire.
  13. No one asked you to, it's not a requirement to help with the subway if you join the Empire.

This project is only for people who have a work ethic and are willing to help the Empire become more unique.
  14. Sounds like I'm starting to hear sense SillyMommaMoose it'd be nearly impossible to make an Empire Subway legitly due to its growing and as huge as it is now.
  15. No offense intended, but the people that are shying away from this task are missing one of the finest points of MC, and that is, huge Community projects.... The sort of thing that carry heartache, arguing, bickering, organising, controlling, effort and sacrifice but which ultimately allow those involved to stand back and go "Wow... We made that..."

I've been part of a world subway rail system before which spanned an area greater than Town and it was fun, actually surprisingly easy and gave people a strong focus for their efforts when they logged in that day. It's not as much hassle as people make out to be.

Someone mentioned the risk of giving perms to edit the Town.. Again, if Empire can give perms over a 60x60 plot, I see no reason why they can't give perms over a 10x1000 plot which represents a tunnel that we then dig out. The scope for griefing is ridiculously small. Why are people so afraid of this?

You can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs, unless you use the stuff out of a carton in which case it's not a real omlette and probably doesn't taste much like eggs.
  16. Our server is a bit different than any other server you've ever used. ;)

We do backups, but they count to the entire server itself, not individual actions. If say something extremely horrible went wrong (which would be unlikely since Justin & I are on everyday watching), we have backups from the last 24 hours that we'd be able to restore. However, this isn't for individual, "I built something in the wild and someone broke it" kinda things. It's more for if something went wrong and everyone lost hours and hours of work.

The plugins we use and the size of our Community makes you not want a rollback feature...at least not one that exists in it's current form. You'd be trading nearly lag free experiences for it. The system already has to check for about 1500 residences on each of our (currently 4) SMPs not to mention Utopia. To have to check the actions of every single person AND keep a log of it as well...that would mean it's keeping track of millions of actions per day, which would kill server load.
    MR2R2M likes this.
  17. I want to ask a question, out of genuine interest, SMM; have you ever been part of a large scale, organised Community Project? I mean, epic scale stuff stretching across dozens of chunks?

If you have, then it must have been a fairly sorry experience if this is how you feel.

If you haven't, then you are truly missing out on a great experience.

You talk about people not wanting to give up resources. Give up what resources? The resources that they've gone out as part of a team to dig up? So they might pocket a few for themselves, no big deal, the amount given in far outweighs the small amount pocketed and at the end of the day they would have to have gone out and dig it out if they wanted it for themselves anyway.

When we made our world railway on another large and popular MC server, everyone was out resource gathering and the chests were filling as fast as we could empty them. People feel like they're part of something, enjoy the comradeship and laughs which is why VOIP is essential such as Mumble, and the results were always outstanding.

If you truly do think it's silly then you don't have to worry about taking part in it, but for those of us that want to do it, and so far more have voiced support than negative opinions, let us at least try.

If we fail, you can mock us, if we succeed, you can enjoy the results.

Of course, this all depends on us being allowed to do this by Empire, so all this may be for nothing, but at least we voiced the idea and as this server often repeats, want to do it the 'legit' way.

Also, there is no reason why we can't start small. There's no need to do the whole system in one go. A small and simple central circle would suffice to allow us to get the techniques in place and find the team compositions to ensure best results were achieved.

There will be some chaff that will be cut from the wheat as people get bored of it or just turn up to say they helped and in the end you'll be left with a core group that will see the project through to the end.
  18. Justin has so many great perks to work on for the future, id almost want to just see more updates for more e feautures then the time needed to work out a subway

Just my 2c
  19. *slowly raises hand*

Um... I don't know about the rest of the Empire, but I'd willingly donate my time and resources to an Empire Project.

As for other people being willing to donate, go look at some of the wilderness projects that are happening right now.

GokouZWAR is one guy to check out, he's building a subway system in the wild with a huge group of people.

I'm sure there are other examples as well (The Octahedron of Oblivion on smp1), but look around you before making such a statement. One of the reasons I've enjoyed this server so much is because of the generosity and helpfulness exhibited by the majority of players I have met.

I know there's a few bad players in every server, but to me, the number of good players far outweighs the number of bad players.

EDIT: I do understand your hesitation about giving ppls perms. That is a risky business and currently I'm only allowing ONE person complete access to my res (he's a chill dude!).

However, at the end of the day, what I have to tell myself is "It's a game." There will be disappointments and setbacks, but it's all in good fun and having 4 hours worth of digital work destroyed is definitely not the end of life as I know it.

Preachy, I know, but it works for me! ^_^
  20. Ditto ^_^

C'mon, I'm not out to get you. I really don't want to challenge anyone, just open people's eyes a bit. Try to read my comments as friendly input, not scathing criticism.

Trust me. I'm as harmless as a Zombie Pigman ^_^
    GameKribJEREMY likes this.