Empire Subway

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kilmannan, Dec 23, 2011.

1. I dont know about that either.:p
  2. I will assemble my friends and see what we can do if this happens on smp1 and it is a wonderful idea!
  3. The major roads would be nice to use because everyone's lot would have subway on 2 sides (or one major intersection) If only we could have a way to take care of cart management, a few hundred lag my server (although emc is probably a few orders of magnitude more powerful) Would there be a griefer/noob proof way to make custom stations on our lots?
  4. lol. I just walk a couple of mooshcow that I bought from EEJester 2200 block back to my res a few days ago.
  5. You don't need perms to place or distroy minecarts I learnt this the hard way with my rollar coster. I also raised this topic with the minecraft council so you never know we might submit it as a development idea
  6. If it's feasible and can be done this way then the best way I can see the build being implemented is:

Empire give the build rights to 'x' width by 'x' depth of road, over whatever the finalised route is. We're then left to our own devices building in a strip of perm'd land that means people can't deviate, can't wreck the place, etc.

Tie in some good moderator support to rollback anyone griefing and we've got that aspect covered.

We then appoint a 'Central Station' which is the hub out of which everything runs out of, so central on the rail system in the middle of the map. This can be the largest underground station where carts can be dispensed from using a redstone system.

Work groups are then organised and off we go.

No real scope to go wrong as such. You'd have teams digging and teams laying and a team doing the actual stations. Each station could be unique or to a standard build pattern with maybe colour (wool) being the difference, or some such.

----

For Supporters having their own stations, yes the idea has merits, however lets focus on getting the main public track done first if we get the go ahead. Once people start throwing their own stations into the mix it's going to cause lots of problems I imagine, so that shouldn't be a priority.

It all comes down to, at the end of the day, the perceived problems server-side and is down to how much of a resource hog this could become, especially if minecarts are left unchecked but it should be easy enough to implement some system for if not removing the carts after use, at least side-railing them so they don't block the main route.
  7. The only question I have with that is what will stop the players from stealing the carts ( as minecarts arnt protected ) people should use there own carts because grtthers and spamers could clog it up to cause caos, also if it is the players cart they won't just leave it on the rail to be stolen
  8. This sounds like a good idea to me! The thing with rails is they use some of the more common materials in the game (iron ingots and sticks), and with 6 iron and 1/8 of a wooden log, 1/2 of a wooden plank, or 1 stick, you get 16 rails. If we needed 51 double chests full that equals 51 times the 54 stacks (2754) times 4 for the amount of crafts per stack and you get 11016 times you need to craft rails, or you need 11016 sticks. The iron you need is 6 times 11016, or 66096 iron. That's 1032 stacks of iron and an extra 48, or 19.125 double chests full. I see this as a good idea, but it isn't feasible.
  9. Look like hard work for our admins again lol. If possible, we should make script to spawn minecart to use. And despawn it when u reached the destination instead of using own minecart. This could be done using customize plugin. (Maybe a ticket fare too. This would be for the admin to decide if the coding are to take place. Because it's their time and effort) So this will prevent some iron-rich-noob from spamming the system by putting a lot of minecarts to clog everything.

Also idea about donator using their lot as station sound good. But what if someone get upset by something related to the metro system and decide to go on rampage destroying the station. (Not big problem though. As admin can lock the part where the station are to be indestructable. But gonna need to make agreement with the lot owner.)

And about the design of the station. I saw the Moscow metro and it look wondeful. (It is rated as the most beautiful metro in the world. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.) We could follow the design of it.
  10. As this is a community project. How about we ask Justin if he could help because he can spawn stuff :D
    But it will be hard for him to agree I guess. I also aware of it. As some noob who don't wanna get their own iron for their personal use might ran off with a huge amount of iron.

EDIT : Also I think we need less iron than that. As some part of the rail need to be a powered rail which require gold. (Otherwise we gonna need minecart-with-furnace as a locomotive.)
  11. The amount of powered rails needed is 1 per 15 regular rails. If we need 176,688 rails, then we need 11,043 powered rails. We still need 165,645 regular rails, which is still 62,117 iron. Add to that the 11,046 gold ingots we need and 1,841 redstone we need, and we have a project!
  12. The only question I have with that is what will stop the players from stealing the carts ( as minecarts arnt protected ) people should use there own carts because grtthers and spamers could clog it up to cause caos, also if it is the players cart they won't just leave it on the rail to be stolen
  13. An idea that we could do is that ( e.g ) one person is in charge of mataining it in a 15 res radar and they are in charge of the station and track building ( though track would get distributed to them when some gets donated )
    it could work very well, as their wouldn't be thousands of players in charge so we would have trustworthy players maintaing it, it would also result better for the mods ass we could have the move false perm to the land to take trouble makers out of the way and we would be able to clean up any disatsters , many players have filled there res to the brim and have thousands of exese rupees flying about there will be plenty ( proberly to many ) eager to help I can help with a technical side of it and I will take my area as I'm head of operations at my local 71/4 ride on railway!
  14. please highlight the math in RED. just so its easy to see for players and THE-JUSTIN-O-NATOR!!! (dun dun dun...);)p.s. sorry jeremy!
  15. If we do the plan on the picture I posted earlier then we need less resources and if enough people get involved then it doesn't really matter about resources as a committed team of MC'ers can strip mine an entire chunk in an hours easy work. :)

All we need to do is fine some abandoned mines and you've got rails and lots of raw ore ready to go.

I'm up for it.
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  16. As much as the Idea of a community project sounds appealing, I believe the most feasible way for this to be implemented is to have it built by staff. This would ensure every stretch of rail and the subway stations are uniform, and there is no bickering about who built what, and no waiting for players who are not as active as others
    Minecarts would be supplied by each player when they wish to use subway, this allows people to use whichever carts they like (storage carts, powered carts, regular carts) and because the carts are owned by player they are more likely to retrieve them.
    The issue then becomes about abandoned minecarts. Perhaps it may be possible to despawn carts that have not been active in 10 minutes, but this is Justin's realm, only he knows if this is truly doable.
    All views expressed here are my own personal views, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the staff/admin as a whole, so feel free to rebuke my comments made here :)
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  17. This would be the best way to cover any and all of the problems with building this subway. Sounds great Shaun!
  18. I saw a pig in a cart in SP. Also cow and chicken.
  19. The reason i suggested it may be easier for staff to take care of it is because it will require alot of resources, and these can be provided by Justin or Jeremy for us to use, that way players arent sacrificing their own materials for such a major project. Also, if Justin happened to find a little spare time on his hands (which may be never, poor bugger :) ) he may be able to copy/paste the area and reduce the time taken considerably. All of this discussion is still in the theoretical stage and may or may not come to fruition. :)

The reason why i added my little piece about being my own opinion is so that people can comment and discuss without feeling like they are disobeying or arguing with a moderator. They are my personal views, and therefore are free to be disagreed with. :)

I also like minecraft wiki so much i have it as one of my homepages which opens with IE. It is the ultimate resource for minecraft, and i cant recommend it enough when it comes to learning new and existing things about minecraft.
  20. Cuboiding would cut the time down if someone with admin rights were to do it, but it's still going to take hours of their time.

Whilst I'd be thumbs up for staff doing it, I think it's one of these things that as a Community Project is something that should always be attempted. The idea of a Moderator appointed and controlled team is probably the sanest way to do it, but it'd be everyones achievement that was involved then and make it matter to us all that bit more.

Some basic safeguards would stop it from turning into a clusterbomb and minimise difficulties.

Personally, I'd still like to see it Community driven.

If it never gets finished? At least we tried.

As for using our own resources, well that's one of the big team-building exercises isn't it? It's been a long time since I've stood in line with thirty other people and strip mined a chunk of Wild whilst another dozen people cart back the resources to the build team who's at the face setting it all up.

Some good team rotations, everyone gets a bit of fun, everyone gets to work. With people on Teamspeak or Mumble, chatting and laughing as the Wild slowly vanishes beneath a flurry of pickaxes and spades and rails get laid faster that ladies of the night on a Saturday after the clubs have empited, it's a brilliant and fun experience for everyone.

That's my biggest motivation behind wanting to do it to be honest.