EMC PVP - Preliminary community discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Didn't read through all the posts so don't shoot me if I'm just repeating ideas, but I'm not for or against this PVP stuff. I, personally, may only go to that world once or twice.. but that isn't to say there isn't a part of the community that wouldn't love it. There are members of our community who really thrive on the hardcore survival side of MC and this would be great for them. It also might mean there would be less grieving in the normal /wild as the people who feel the need to do this will be on pvp.

There obviously will be problems of people trying to use pvp (ie. flint and steel/lava) in the /wild and then saying "Oh I thought this was the pvp world" but I'm sure none of the wonderful EMC staff are silly enough to fall for that. Another problem would be the person who sits just outside the safe zone and kills people. Annoying, yes. But probably not avoidable unless you did something like: everyone has their own separate spawn point that they return to when they die, and the area they spawn in is a safe zone for a 10 block radius each way. Only they are safe in their own safe zone. I don't know if that would be possible. All the spawn points would be random by the way, so no one would start in the same place.

Also, would their be vault available? Or would you have to start from scratch in this world? Maybe their could be a higher fee for vault, or it could be limited to how often you can use it? Obviously people will want to be transporting stuff back to EMC so would there be a way to take stuff out of the PVP world, but not bring it back in? Just throwing a few ideas around here :)

The points idea is awesome. I think that would promote a little bit more friendly competition on EMC. :)
    Kells18 likes this.
  2. Looking at your customer base wouldent a European server be best as your next step i know alot of european players on emc and the lag here sometimes for us is horrid as in you have to mine 1 block 10 times before it finaly breaks not saying you should not do the pvp server but i think a European server would be your next logical step

thanks
    Hoogie
  3. I think that is effecting more than just Europe at the moment. It's pretty bad for me in NZ.
  4. As was said in the original post, this is something that would take place on its own server.

Because of that, you can remove the aspect of 'I just want to build in the Wild' because you can go to a Non-PvP EMC SMP for that.

So, now we simply focus on the fact that you've joined the PvP server to fight.

What do we need to take into consideration?

Vanilla PvP in Minecraft is flawed. It does not work.

Mods which add Skill Levels to sword / bow etc, are also flawed, as they reward the hardcore player and are open to a lot of abuse which I've witnessed time and time again.

One server, split into Worlds like EMC, had a Skill Level mod, and the kids that played it 24/7 were so absurdly strong that other players simply wouldn't travel to the PvP World because they'd get killed immediately by this team of five or six kids.

Mods which provide protected areas such as the Pstone Mod are good, but again, not griefer / abuse proof.

One server which had this, whilst it meant you were fully protected within your Pstone area where you could build an outpost, etc, had the enemy build an obsidian wall around the Pstone perimeter and dug down so you couldn't escape. You were then trapped in your own Pstone zone.

I would like to see a PvP server, but damn if it isn't going to be a long hard struggle to get it working right and fairly.

If the concept of PvP is being played with, why not something a bit more organised?

Empire Minecraft Fortress Mode

You take the concept of Town and make it /fortress , make it a lot smaller, and the Residences a lot smaller, and each person can build their own fortress by Vaulting stuff over from Town / Wild / Nether etc. Only the Owner of the lot can build, but anyone can destroy a set number of blocks per lot. Each player has a 'flag' which they place in their base and it's a point per flag.

New players to /fortress get ten days protection where they can't destroy on other Residences but theirs can't be destroyed either. This gives them a chance to build up and hide their 'flag' in their base somewhere.

Then people can battle it out on there instead? Like a playground.

Hmm....
    hayleycolgan likes this.
  5. to everyone suggesting pvp on dystopia, please no. if we must have pvp put it on it's own pvp server. i think pvp would ruin dystopia.

to be honest, the more i read this thread, the more against any free-for-all pvp i'm getting. if you want the challenge of going head to head against other players where skill is the decider in battle, then it needs to be organised and people start with nothing, otherwise I think it's really just sanctioned griefing.

Some one posted on EVE online forums a way back something that I really agreed with, it went along the lines of "EVE isn't a PvP game, its a space trading / building game with PvP enabled, PvP in eve is like a gang of teenages with guns and knives mugging an old lady in a dark alley."

Free-for-all PvP will just be a game of who's got the biggest group and who's got the baddest swords / bows and the lowest latency.

It will make the moderators job's twice as difficult and even more time consuming, people will be accusing everyone of the forums of glitching or cheating because they were beaten, we'd start having all those "your tears are delicious" and "QQ more noob" posts.

I really think it would have a damaging effect on the community, regardless of the fact that people can chose to play on PvP or not.
  6. HA.... If you dislike griefing... don't play EvE :)

I just think that expanding without improving will be a heavier weight to hold.
  7. I don't anymore, I play EMC.

Sure, but this is a discussion about whether PvP would be an improvement, expanding while getting worse is even heavier i think.
  8. Well ok then... Turn a new leaf...

Would PvP be an improvment - Yes and No...

Some people want it - others don't...

It WOULD improve EMC as a WHOLE... just do it right..
    apamment likes this.
  9. Just because you cater to more people doesn't make it an improvement as a whole. You know the saying, jack of all trades master of none. I was saying I was against free-for-all PvP, not all PvP. I just think it needs to be more organised like killmannan and others have suggested,
    will_iamd likes this.
  10. It's fine, it's just good that people can read our idea :)
  11. I don't see the logic people are using to claim that PvP will be run by people with the best swords and armor. Last I checked, /wild on any current server gives everyone the ability to obtain any powerful item and enchantments. You build up on /wild and fight on PvP. Only someone with a death wish would go into the PvP server with nothing, hoping to build themselves up and mine the materials they need, in a PvP environment. Also, it would be nice if people stopped exclaiming how bad PvP in town would be, when that's not even on the table. I'm all for a back and forth discussion, but lets not cloud the water with unrelated and invalid statements.

Also, as for the teams idea, while great, it should not be a random process. Many users currently have IRL, MC, or EMC friends that play together or have joint projects in town or in the wild, let alone sharing container perms on reses too. The easiest way to destroy all trust in town between these people would be to throw them in random PvP teams (if they choose to play PvP) causing them to have to fight against each other, or for opposite groups.

-Mike
    Crazy1080 likes this.
  12. I do like PVP myself.. but there should be a command on the residences do activate PVP on residences.

The command should be like /set pvp <on/off>
  13. I think there should be a PVP arena that is huge and possibly factions and a leaderboard with K/D or W/L :)
  14. What I would like to see is a hardcore mode server, with PvP on. Would make it much more entertaining for me personally and would definitely make EMC PvP servers stand out. Would definitely attract more players of the competitive type. I say go for it. And to whoever doesn't like the idea of a PvP server:

You don't have to play on it. There would still be SMP servers. Play on them.
    gtabmx likes this.
  15. PvP in town and on reses is not on the table, as stated by Justin. Do people even read Justin's OP?
  16. I've never played PvP. Nothing in you tube sold me on it. But as others have stated building traps could be fun. I see a lot bickering coming from it. This will really wear down our moderaters. I envision a person building a trap and another person sterling those materials.
  17. I think a PVP server would be a good addition, and one possible way to avoid spawn camping death squads (the main downside to a PVP server in my opinion) would be to make a series of roads that are non-PVP that would allow players to navigate to a secluded place far from the spawn if desired (spawn camping would at least be much more difficult). Hey, the Romans took over the world with roads, why cant we?

Also, if a player is against PVP there is a simple solution. Stick to the multiple, and very good, smp servers (seems obvious to me).
  18. It was my understanding that "making it 100% separate from the SMP servers" would mean no cross vault transactions.
  19. But that'd be allowed on a PvP server.

I think this thread's more about how we react to the idea of a PvP server, not telling us what the details will be. Of course our smp residences will stay non-PvP, but if something like Kilmannan's idea above was implemented, there would be something like town on the PvP server. Yes, Justin did say no PvP in towns and that there would be no town on the PvP server, but if this thread decided that we would want a PvP town/arena, and the idea was feasible, I'm sure it would be on the table.
  20. PvP faction server? It would be cool and you could gang up with friends and make camps with guards and stuff