EMC PVP - Preliminary community discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. 100% untrue. The issue is can the server handle the additional load of databases, etc, etc...

I KNOW it works, as I've tested it, only on a small scale though.

Anyway, back to PvP - atm I say no.
  2. I think EMC is too friendly for PvP. We have a realy strong commuinity and PvP could jepardise that. I not against it, I understand why it makes sense and why its appeals but I think EMC would lose something if this was implimented.. (-:
  3. Perhaps Maybe...
    • A command of letting a player to be attacked/killed with PVP, just in case they are in the mood of being attacked or in a battle. And a Different command of letting a player not be attacked or have No Pvp affect on them which most people want, they want to be protected and not casue problems, which is like the normal settings we have at the moment in EMC wild/town

• I thought this would be a nice idea of the command for PVP because really, What is the point of PVP? Its most likely to have Fun with others with a duel. But others will not like it. So theres a command of wanting to Duel/Fight/Battle Or be protected not in the mood for a duel.

Good Reasons: This Command for PVP method will not upset any of the community in EMC. They would just decide if they want to at the moment, or be protected fully like we are at EMC at the moment.

Bad Reasons: To Be Honest. I cant think of any. Anybody knows Dis-advantages?

This could be on all servers. If any player complains that they have been attacked/killed when they left the command of Being killed/PVP on.. It would be no excuse since any person could have turned it off. ( Or should have epected of being attacked and turned it off the PVP command on themselves. )

Although, People like to make traps with lava or suffocation... There could be also a Note to a Mod/Admin saying when theres people attempted to make lava traps.

[ (Name) has placed lava at the ground ( Coords ) ( Time ) ]
    Then theres a person that has died.
    [ (Name) has died by lava ( Placed by: Name ) (Coords) ( Time ) ] ( Only in wild )

Idea suggestion from: Gabrielrocks69 Would any like to reply if this is an okay suggestion?
  4. I am currently against the idea of PvP, as PvP would remove friendliness from EMC. If however, a PvP server was to appear I believe the planning of it would have to be really good, and I mean really good. A key factor would be that all players real "Minecraft-identity" should stay secret.
  5. I was thinking instead of ANYONE just able to do pvp to anyone else there should be a large PVP arena. Only PVP in there. With highest names on the leaderboard signs and healing/food station. Only other PVP in the wilderness. Also spleefing and TNT arenas?
  6. Not entirely true. In past communities and some in this one, we put things up for a vote and what me and Justin thought we wanted got voted out, so we didn't do it. :)
  7. I started reading this, but then I got to the third page and just couldn't go without expressing my opinion, so excuse me if anything I say has already been mentioned. Also, I know this is long, but please read the whole thing as I normally think I have something useful to say and I'd like it if you corrected me or commented.

Talking Points:
    I am FOR the idea of a PvP-dedicated server.

- Like Crazy said, there should be a user tutorial specific to the PvP server, one that all players, even those already playing on SMP. At the beginning of the two different tutorials (SMP and PvP) there should be signs clarifying that the PvP rules do not apply on SMP and vice versa.

- The idea of arenas is good, but as someone put it (I completely forgot who) it would ONLY require fighting skills. I like the idea of the Hunger Games (which was a fantastic book and I can't wait for the movie) where someone could run out into the wild and make an outpost, complete with booby traps and all, and lie in wait for the brave soul that ventures away from spawn.

- Every player should be notified (and this should be noted in both the guide and the tutorial for PvP) that because killing is allowed (this should definitely be clarified in tutorial) that means KILLING IS ALLOWED. That means if say you are killed by a player, do not rage because they killed you. If they have superior armor or weapons, then that means that they got them legitimately (I will comment on this in a second) and therefore you have no right to complain about cheating.

- I think there should be an Empire Shop next to spawn, selling basic wooden tools (including a sword) but no armor. Vault would not be allowed and no further items would be sold, so everyone is starting fresh, and massive buying from the Empire Shop would be less fruitful than to go out and get your own tools legitimately.

- I love the idea of leaderboards. This would allow a player good at fighting (or hiding) to receive official recognition. There should be two PvP leaderboards, one for kills, and one for staying alive the longest. The Kills leaderboard would go like this. Every player starts with 5 or so kill points, and for every kill they get, they get one point. For every time they die, they lose a point to the other player. You will not be able to "buy" points with real money or rupees, and you can sell points (not affecting your leaderboard status) for rupees or items at increasing increments (100 points for iron sword, etc.) The "Stayin' Alive" leaderboard would go like this. Somehow (Justin, our plugin god, can work this out) the site would track how long a player has stayed alive (when logged on). This would encourage players to go far out and build a base with booby traps and all, protecting themselves when logged on.

- Lava and fire killing. In my mind this isn't a HUGE issue, but it needs to be addressed. I think that there should be no Nether world or End world (simplifies everything). I think they shouldn't be allowed, although I'm not completely sure and I am open to be persuaded on this issue. I don't want them to be allowed simply because people could place them where another player logged off and get leaderboard points without having to do much.

- Bad blood. This is probably my biggest issue with this, as some players will take this too seriously and rage if someone kills them, affecting relationships on the SMP servers. The only way to neutralize this in my mind would be to caution players that any arguments (not including arguments over breaking of rules) will result in temp bans or kicks. This hopefully will encourage players to keep calm and cool down when they get killed, but there are probably more sides to this. Just remember that it is a GAME! A GAME, PEOPLE! RELAX!

- Hacking. One of my friends who normally plays on Fear PvP uses a hacking client that allows him to toggle a "Wallhack" on and off so that he can see mobs and players underground or through walls. I know that we will never be able to catch everyone who hacks, but I am using this as an example as there are people who would do anything to feel superior, even if it is just Minecraft.

EDIT:

- TNT. How did I almost forget about that? Everyone should have use, but only on the PvP servers. However, massive TNT worldholes would be highly discouraged and anyone caught detonating spawn would be punished. The reasoning behind this would be so that people can make TNT traps, although I would not have a problem if someone came up with a valid argument against it and the admins decided to go without it.

Advantages:
    - Allowing people to settle disputes, get out their bad, aggressive sides
    - More people (especially the PvP crowd) would join the Empire
    - It provides a break for people bored of the usual SMP humdrum routine
    - Probably lots more, I'll edit as I think of them.

Disadvantages:
    - Bad blood, disputes carrying over into SMP
    - More people (especially the PvP crowd, who can be a bad lot for our purposes) would join the Empire
    - Many people not knowing what to do for PvP and/or getting it confused with SMP

If you got to here, I congratulate you. I know I can be a bit boring and I drone on for ages sometime, but I appreciate that you took the time to consider my view on things.
    Yukon1200, will_iamd and Crazy1080 like this.
  8. You should make it like the hunger games :p
    SecretAznEks likes this.
  9. And launch it on March 23 :D
    ninjaboy5656 likes this.
  10. lol I wonder if it will end up being like pvp1.empireminecraft.com :p
  11. Yeah but thats not enough time for justinguy to prepare it
  12. I know, just wishful thinking, that way I could watch the movie and feel like Kat at the same time :D

Because I always take my computer to the theatre. You got a problem? :p
    apamment and ninjaboy5656 like this.
  13. meh no problem
  14. well about the server you can still make grief and raiding illegal but pvp on you can also make a very pure survival where pvp isn't the main goal and isn't advised but still can happen i mean me personally WOULD LOVE a pvp server because it adds a certain amount of fun to it i mean i would love a server with a town that wasn't our town but one that looked more apocalyptic and you can go around there mobs in town no grief wold is PURE SURVIVAL bigger protected spawn but really I'm my opinion pvp is the only thing empire doesn't have
  15. I for one am not sure about this... regardless of my thoughts on community 'stuff' - I have a feeling that Justin is well prepared. Oh to have stage access - I'd have my water bucket ready.
  16. Agreed, but this will probably not even be decided by the time the movie comes out.
  17. After thinking this over a bit more, I think even more strongly that an unstructured PvP server, while fun, would damage the EMC community, which is the reason people stay in the Empire, and what makes it so special. So I would again suggest the Hunger Games style (and Yukon and I might even be able to film it and add it to an episode of the MineCast!). It's would provoke less bad blood, and while survival would be a focus, it would stop people from camping far out in the wild or simply not being found, because the "Gamemakers" could create traps or obstacles to guide people together. I'll stop here, because I've put waaayyy too much thought into this and I'd bore people if I kept describing it. But yea, Hunger Games on EMC would be epic.
  18. If you're doing PvP,

Do teams. This is the real fun of PvP - working together with other players to build bases and coordinate attacks.

Let people form clans/groups of their own, and run the scores in that way. This will encourage people working together.

Run the spawn like this: Start in the middle, and assign grids in a spiral outwards (just like residences on SMP). Each new player gets the next available spawn point. Every so often, the system could be reset, centering around a new location. This will avoid having a giant crater in the middle of the map.

I disagree with a complete separation from SMP. Having prizes that can be brought to the SMP worlds would be a nice feature. Without any ties, there's really no point. Someone else should start the PvP separately.

Every player could have points, and they would be used to lock chests (for a certain period, not indefinitely). Points are gained by killing players. If you form a clan, you can get commission off the points your team members kill.

Oh and I think every 20th spawn could be a 'hill'/'flag'. Capturing it will give your team points over time.
    Yukon1200 and JabrZer0 like this.
  19. I like this idea! I think that we should have like a arena set up as a warp or something! Maybe have one in the wild that goes on forever and have a timed one in town for like competitions and stuff! I also love the point system!
  20. Hahah this guy :p

So what you are saying is, people will be responsible for their own stuff in chests? Would there be locks? And would it mean that stealing wouldn't result in a ban? Only on the PVP servers of course?