EMC PVP - Preliminary community discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. How about we let justin decide what he can/can't/has the time to do. I say, he asked for thoughts and ideas, lets give them, even if some may be a little pie in the sky to us, and let him sort out the ones he can use :)
  2. I believe that's what everyones doing. Leaving ideas/suggestions.
    Squizzel_Boy and apamment like this.
  3. I vote 100% NO.

There's no place for PvP in EMC.

Reasons:
    It would destroy the community. As you will have people hating on others for killing them.

You would also get people getting killed and then quitting (I always quit as soon as I see any server that has PvP in any way shape or form)

Your pretty much saying, Hey! We now have a server that you can come and X-RAY people for there stuff!

Leave the PvP to other servers, EMC is a place for building, exploring, Showing off your skills at building them dirt houses not to go around and kill everyone with a sharpness 5 sword.
    nightmare32808 and Squizzel_Boy like this.
  4. i think this has to be accnolaged and many people have comented on it so far this needs fractions!!!!
  5. yeah, I was mainly referring to this..

I know it means well, but it comes up all the time.
    I'm just saying don't be afraid to list ideas because they might seem impractical :)
  6. My thoughts on this are based on my previous experiences with PVP before finding EMC. All I ever saw was horrible fights in chat, hurt feelings and kids wanting stuff back because they were killed unfairly. A new player did not stand a chance against a pack that was waiting just outside the safe zone. If it was a server that had a random spawn point they were dying and such before ever getting started and there was always the players with the cheats that found them in no time.
    I love representing the Family Friendly Environment we have at EMC. We have from what I read the very best reputation in all of MC. I would hate to start seeing forums fill up with negative aura just because of one server where players felt they were done wrong. You know the old saying, "If we do something right someone will tell one person but if we do something WRONG ten people will tell ten more." This is my fear.
    If you were to venture out into this area of MC game play, could it be done OUTSIDE the EMC umbrella? I would hate to see one experiment hurt us in the long run?
    Mod thoughts are how do we moderate? What reports do we allow if any? When does a legitimate lag issue ever fall into thought for a serious loss to a good player that was simply hit by the system? My biggest thought... what do we do with these players who are all hyped up from being on this server and learning the "Tricks of the trade" when they come back to the non pvp servers and decide to hit the wilds with all their new found forms of greifing and killing? They will... they are young kids and young adults... and it will I fear reap havoc on our peaceful existence.
    I vote No Way... sorry :(
  7. I also like this suggestion, not only does it allow us to recommend a PvP enabled server to our players if they desire, but it would be nice if the favor was reciprocated, and the other sister-server would happily suggest EMC as a non-PvP enabled server.

That being said I am pretty strongly against a PvP server being run as part of EMC. I think the explosive growth over the last 7-8 months can be quite heavily attributed to the family-safe aspect of EMC servers. I believe because we attempt to discourage this particular style of play we have attracted a friendlier, safer community of players who enjoy helping each other and playing together in relative safety. I don't see how stealing another's players items they have worked hard for, by drowning them or setting them on fire, can possibly enhance an individuals gameplay.
    Minecraft in my eyes is for exploration and creation, nor for destruction or violence, that's what FPS's are for. :)
    oidking and cnicholls_uk like this.
  8. ive never played on any pvp server.... (and emc is my first multiplayer server ive EVER played on!!!)

pvp sounds very cool and for myself i see no problem in getting killed by another mc-player because i think playing on such a server includes this!! :)
    i guess it is great fun to play in a team or something and fight against others XD this could also support a community
    vividOptimism likes this.
  9. What if there was a way of having short matches with a predefined team (and opposing team) of your choosing, where you go in with nothing and come out with nothing. Sure it wouldn't be PvP like other servers had, but it might be a way for playing with some friends that you know will not cheat. You could even form teams and maybe have a leaderboard.

This might be what Squizzel_boy meant by arenas?
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  10. The Empire was able to turn SMP into something interesting and unique , i am confident that the Empire could come up with a better player versus player experience/alternative.
    oidking and d1223m like this.
  11. I think that adding some type of PvP arena would be a great addition to the Empire :)
    But doing PvP everywhere would make me leave EMC =(
    nfell2009 likes this.
  12. Maybe we could have a PvP arena on a smp server because then people could go and get equipment fight for fun or arrange big battles just saw this thread ad I have been thinking about an arena for a while now pls add one if possible and not to time consuming for you guys as I don't want you to stop being so amazing
  13. I belive make another EMC sever that is PVP this will then give people a chance to try it out without losing there home on a server in the wild!
  14. That's what I just posted =P
  15. The best implementing of PvP in EMC would be PvP arenas. In that way, cheating becomes much less likely to occur, and a rupee prize would be given to the winner. To maken even funnier, the arena could be filled with hazards, like falling lava, random mobs spawning in, etc.
  16. I actually now think the best idea is to bring back arenas.empireminecraft.com That was great when it was there if you never went in one google/YouTube it there is a Video I saw it once
  17. Would that mean the vault would work across to the PVP server from the SMP server?

In response to the discussion. I like the idea of having PVP, it adds to the survival aspect of the game, you know, its another thing to watch out for, call it another mob to be warey of. But, yes I agree that if we were going to do a PVP server it should be separate from the rest, so that the non pvp community are not affected in anyway.

Justin your idea for a leaderboard is great! It would sooth the death experience for the player because it would add an incentive to go and kill somebody to get the points back. Using the leaderboard would dampen the HARSHNESS of PVP and give it a better atmosphere in my opinion.

Jack, I would have to say, keep our names. YOu wouldnt join the server in the first place if you didnt want to PVP. So names are irrelevant here. People would just need to be mature and face up to "What happens on the PVP server, stays there". Heck, that could even become a commandment LOL.
  18. Justin I agree with haveing a PVP server and I think it should be a wilderness world with asmall protected area.
  19. Simple fix: Just make it so that new players cannot log into the PVP server for their first joining. Then after they have been educated through the Tutorial, and have read the guide etc. Then and ONLY then can they make a personal choice as to whether to join and play on the PVP server.

*EDIT*
    Damn. You posted a similar post to me, I never saw yours until after I posted mine, haha.
  20. You should always scan ahead in threads to make sure that I havent already given an amazing answer ;)
    MR2R2M likes this.