EMC PVP - Preliminary community discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I always loved PvP at World Of Warcraft, Swtor eg eg ... but I don't really see MC as a PvP game? Rather like a teamwork game ( Yes, I know teamwork is also needed in PvP )? Incase theirs more into PvP.. An arena or some specific area's with PvP enabled, might be cool . But NO. Never the wilderness :/ .. Don't remember me at Runescape please :>
  2. Hold on a second. If you're saying what I think you're saying then you are comparing PvP to Hitler and if that's the case we need to stop it now before this PvPHitler can take over and cause a WWMC :eek:
  3. By restricting the world size I was attempting to make it clear that the world isnt infinite and will be reset once a month to help with the other stuff I talked about. Its certainly not essential to limit the world size - but if the spawn area is the same size as the world area it makes things simpler i think.
  4. The only reason I could see that might be to gain if there was some kind of score for the person who stayed alive the longest, so you just go off into the sunset a million blocks away as d1223m suggested, otherwise, I agree with this the person who goes a million blocks away might as well just play on a non pvp server or single player.
  5. true if life length is a scoring factor... but honestly that would get boring very quick.

if you want fast action kill each other gameplay, go play an FPS.

a PVP Server should still have similiar gameplay to SMP, but with the more cutthroat aspects of no town and less hand holding.
    A diameter cap of 10k may be sane, but nothing less than that. Otherwise youll be too close to the action to ever have a chance to build a fortress.

oh man... Ive got some fun ideas for defense lol...

a fort with lava curtains going down, with redstone proximity detectors around the perimeter

upon coming in range, a barrage of dispensers filled with arrows hiding behind the lava curtains unload, shooting rapid fire flaming arrows to your face....

oh the glory.
    Yukon1200, ISMOOCH and apamment like this.
  6. I think your thinking of longer times than I am - Im thinking making it a monthly thing where you get your score at the end of the month and the world is reset. Of course you could build a fortress in a month - but everyone else would of got higher scores whilst you were building ;D

Im trying to keep it a shorter term thing to stop anyone getting too many resources and too far in the lead to make it no fun for everyone else. OTOH maybe a month *is* to short and a 3 month cycle might be better...
    apamment likes this.
  7. What if games were timed as in, say the game lasted a month, but there was a week no pvp prior as a construction phase? Perhaps it could be set up as teams who were spawned in seperate areas (I'm thinking a little like Warcraft multiplayer)

This wouldn't really be free-for-all though I guess.
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  8. I like that idea... but i was about to suggest a little different.

Every day you can type a command that lets you enter build mode. You cant be killed during this time (inf health) and cant kill other players either. You can use this time to build a small fortress.

This could be limited to say 1 hour. then you can leave build mode any time you want and wont be able to return until the next day.

also, using the command would give you a 30x30 protected land area where your standing to build at that others cant enter/destroy unless you use the traditional /res pset commands on it, and the other players entering must also be in build mode.
  9. This makes it much more complicated for Justin to code :D

Also afaik the personal protected areas cause quite a lot of load on the server as it needs to check every block destroyed/built
  10. Would they be able to destroy it once you leave build mode and enter the game as pvp? If not I can imagine some people building impenetrable towers and just sniping people while out of reach.
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  11. Oh nonsense. Justin is a super-wizard. He'll wave his magic minecraft wand and the mod will appear.
  12. I vote No because this could cause people when out of PvP to not like you because you kept killing them over and over again because you were near the spawn.
    if you think about it if you killed someone loads of times there not going to like you anymore and that would pull the community apart.

And I can see many people downloading Hacked clients to get "Invincible and invisible Players" you only have to watch some YouTube videos posted By aVo to see how much they get an advantage.

and this WILL damage the community.
    And I hate PvP Full Stop. but if most people want it then there going to get it and I have a felling it will end bad I just can not see it working with a very friendly community then encouraged to play PvP with others I much prefer the idea of a 1v1 of 2v2 battle in a arena whats is like 20x20
    nnnnmc1 and apamment like this.
  13. My thoughts:

To start off obviously the server would need to be its own server, and it seems like that's in agreement across the board.

This thread is full of great feedback, here's my opinion on some of the feedback and the general idea.

The issues I see are spawn camping, hostility between players, and lag issues.

Spawn camping I feel can be easily fixed with having 20 outposts (or some other large number). If they are at least 100 by 100 blocks in size, there's 4 corners, each out of arrow range of each other. 80 possible spawn leaving locations should cover spawn camping, or at least give players a spawn that isn't camped.

I really like the idea of randomizing player names. I'm not sure how possible this is, but it would let people have their own control of whether people knew who they we're or not. I wish I could say that the hostility between players would exist only on the PVP server, but I'm sure we all agree that it would carry over to the other servers.

Gray Areas:

I'm thinking vault access would have to stay, just so when you died you could bring over new stuff. Obviously players with more wealth in the SMP world are going to have an advantage in the PVP world as far as gear goes. Infinite I Power V bows aren't cheap, but would provide a huge advantage to the person that can afford one.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the player keeping their items for the reason above. Even a rich player is going to have to think twice before strolling in with a 50k rupee bow if they can lose it. I think the fear of loss would balance out the idea of a rich player versus a poor player on the ends of the spectrum.

Personally, and I feel many of the supporters and non supporters that have large numbers of rupees will agree with me, the extra 1200 rupees a day isn't where we made our money. 1200 rupees is 40 stacks of sand or 15 stacks of glass at sell out the whole chest now prices. The players who have large rupee counts have it because they play / mine more, not because of their donation status.

The market for items is considered a benefit and is listed below, but TNT use is definitely a gray area. I'm thinking everyone would need the ability to use TNT on the PVP server, otherwise there's a significant advantage to those of use who can. Not sure what the consequences of this could range to though.

Benefits:

Those who want to play PVP have an outlet, and the broader appeal to persons who like PVP servers is there. I personally love the idea of setting up a well defended, booby trapped, castle and letting it get sieged. If it were implemented, I can tell you immediately I would build ruins, castles, etc around with traps and rewards for those who can make their way through them.

The market appeal of all the "fighting" items would go up. Granted I'm a supporter, so I don't have to deal with the night time mob spawn in the wild, but I run into my fair share of mobs mining. Other than mob farming, I would have never burned up a diamond sword, I don't wear armor period, and I only use arrows for ghasts in the nether. All of these items would have a significant increase in demand via PVP.

As long as it's a separate server, if you don't like / aren't interested in PVP then there is nothing forcing you to play it. You wouldn't even have the interaction issues above, and your shop may do better for those who do.

Closing:

Would I be a hardcore PVP player, No. But would I like the idea, sure. I think it would attract the members to the community who like PVP. Let's face it, we want to have the best server out there, it has to appeal to everyone. I don't expect to make gains off the PVP server, I'll probably die more often than not, but the option will be there. If I want to give it a shot, and I die, great I had fun, and there's nothing forcing me to go back.
  14. I think this would be the biggest danger. Some people do take it personally and it definitely could be the source of bad blood between players.
    Squizzel_Boy likes this.
  15. That's my point. :) but I'd like the idea of an arena :)
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  16. I don't like this idea, only because what about all the new people to EMC? Say they log on for the first time in the PvP server, they then realize there are more servers, go to an SMP, go in the wild and push me into a pool of lava because they thought it was okay? There are A LOT of younger people that play this game and don't quite grasp it's concept. Just the other day i had a kid trying to do it to me and I had to PM him to let him know it wasn't allowed. That's all.
    Yukon1200, jlopez24 and JustinGuy like this.
  17. Agreed this would be a problem
    Yukon1200 and nightmare32808 like this.
  18. Hmm I think making this pvp idea, so it is fair, fun, usable and EMCish will be so much work.
    Also so many problems will come up, so much whining will come out of it.
    I dont see this will ever pay off.
    I also enjoy MC more as an art / adventure game rather then an action game.
    I see that people want to see something fun, because they just cant build on their 1 res forever,
    but I dont think PVP Worlds are the solution for that.
    Due to the wide range of players we have at EMC it also will be hard for player which are not used to player vs player competition.
    Player like me who play all kind of games for years now also in competitons and in high rankings can easily dominate starter in MC PvP.
    This single fact wil cause so many balancing problems, which just can't be solved easily.
    I think there are alternatives to fun world ideas. I always try to supply such things.
    My event I had a few days ago was one of those. Now I have a new project going to get player busy.

Making new server ideas working such as disturbia and pvp worlds take Justin loads of time. We have to consider he has to fix all our Server 1-7 (+utopia) problems as well. He also is very active in community work. And this is just a hobby for him. So we cannot expect him to throw out fun servers the same speed as we consume this content. So we have to act on our own. I really want to encourage everybody, who has an idea for a project which includs many players to do it. And also I encourage player to participate those. You will experience somethign completly new while doing that. We all search for other people to be close to us. This is a basic instinct. So make your project so people can join you.

For example (I will now spoiler a little my current idea, so you know what I'm talking off): I got myself an utopia res. It is filled with water from Bedrock to y=85 so 20 blocks above normal level. Once I'm at a certain point. Everybody shall have the chance to add to it. I want to create a nice fantasy underwater world. Everybody who wants to add to is can build something on single player and show me something he likes to add. It must be ocean themed though. This has a wide range from sea monsters and fishes, to pixel art to design side walls , to a sunken ship or something small as a shell with a pearl. I hope to see many of our great EMC members to add something to this artwork. I will build an Atlantis City kind of in it. Once finished people can explore all the little art works. Due to the low light underwater it will be a challenge to find everything, but once found it sure will be amazing :)

I love to see many people work on their little art work at the same time on the same res. This fills me with joy. Everybody of you can participate or create such things. Just get creativ. Sit down and think of something new. Something were people can add to. It doesnt have to be something like construction. There are many things to do in wilderness as well.

Many ask for creativ mode. Turn your head on and you have creativ mode already ;)

Greetz Hasorko
  19. Simple - no PVP server until you have been on EMC SMP for 1 month :D
  20. I would love to see a SEPARATE server for PVP only. One idea would be to not allow vaulting to and from this server, so everyone starts fresh. I also love the leader board idea. I agree with d1223m by not allowing the PvP server to be accessible until you have been on EMC for AT LEAST one month, so you get the rules and everything. Having someone not be able to balance PVP and non-PVP is kind of a stretch. If someone that has ONLY played on the PVP server comes to SMP and tries to kill someone, he'll realize quickly that he can't. Maybe in the tutorial make like 4-5 questions asking if PVP is okay :p In that case they should understand after the 3rd time they see the question.