[DISCUSSION] 1.18 height limit

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by chickeneer, Nov 16, 2021.

1. So it is. I stand (or sit) corrected.
    607 and UltiPig like this.
  2. Chicken 'yes' and 'no' to the ability to compact redstone with wireless skulk systems. The issue will also further arise though of creating 'wireless paths' that don't interfere with one another which will require space and creativity in implementing them. So for big builds I'll guess that they aren't used too much due to dangers of triggering unwanted redstone.
  3. I am not sure if there is a question here.
    When shulk sensors are made available, we will have them on EMC. Based on what I know from them though, I doubt they would be a reliable wireless redstone solution on a multiplayer server.

Thanks for those that have given feedback thus far. I don't know what technical options we have - in a couple weeks when the server code becomes available to me, I might have a better idea.
  4. A lot of farms lag due to lighting updsates, i would just recommend lighting up all redstone builds to prevent lag
    UltiPig likes this.
  5. I agree with pretty much everything you've said here, tho, I want to point out that EMC actually uses the vanilla 128 radius despawn sphere. I know the wiki says it's a 64 radius cylinder, but after various tests, I can confirm that mobs despawn normally outside that cylinder, as they would in vanilla, not within 5 seconds. I don't know exactly how coding this would work, but if we could make it a despawn sphere with a radius of 64, that would greatly help as far as mob farms are concerned.
    And no, I don't know why EMC's despawn cylinder doesn't work. Don't ask me. :p

The other thing is, that, I think the biggest issue with lag from increasing world height, would end up coming from utopia town. People just like to build big laggy farms there, unfortunately. It would be wise to at least update the policy on that front. I mean, really, why on earth do you need a 120x120x128 cactus farm? You know who you are. :p

I would cast my vote to go ahead and increase the world height in all 3 worlds. There are more pros than cons, and as long as the rules about laggy stuff is clear, people can't get too butthurt if their stuff ends up being removed.

The other thing, that egeau pointed out is that redstone is way less laggy than entities, so, I'd say there's no real reason to change anything more about redstone. Redstone lag can also be greatly and easily mitigated while entity lag can be rough to deal with.

In conclusion, we're all (mostly) adults here, and we should be able to work together to not have larger farms than we need.
    607, Egeau and Fred_TWK like this.
  6. [sidenote]
    1. the wiki says 15, not 5 seconds
    2. the wiki seems to be in need of an update
    [/sidenote]
  7. Perhaps, as the ideal, chunks that cause high amounts of lag would only influence the areas around it, as each area would be given its own set of resources, but I doubt that is possible given what I know about multi-threading and Minecraft. If this was possible, it'd be revolutionary, to say the least.