Development Status Update - 9/28/17

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Hi all,
    Wanted to give everyone an update on (the lack of) what's going on with EMC development.

As you've probably noticed, the sidebar hadn't changed in weeks, nor those alerts at top of forums.

Reason is because I started yet another huge project at work, and as with the past 2 large projects, it claims that title "Largest project of my career".

It has really eaten up my time and mental capacity that I've not been able to get to getting things done for EMC.
    It's actually pushed me to play my Xbox to get a break and relax (Psst, Destiny 2 Players on Xbox One, add Aikar!)

But tonight I did finally get code updates deployed that had been pending for an entire month!... and because it had been so long I totally forgot the impact of the changes and we had some bugs, but all is well now, they are fixed.

But one thing I did do a few days ago is buy new servers for EMC, for 3 main reasons:

1. Faster. Way better CPU's on these machines should help ensure a solid TPS even when large farms are active.
      - This does not mean it's ok to go build larger farms. Our goal is to be able to maintain 20 TPS with REASONABLE farms.... We've failed to deliver that many times depending on conditions.
    2. Cheaper. The servers were on sale is what prompted me to take this action. With the EULA stuff, our income has dropped quite a bit, so being able to reduce the server bill by a few hundred dollars is a big help.
    3. Precautionary. Our current servers are a few years old. We've had 1 SATA drive fail a long time ago, and it's really at the point in time I'm worried a disk would fail "Any moment". With how busy I am, can't really afford another 2am emergency keeping me up with no sleep like I had earlier this year. So moving to new hardware resets that ticking time bomb.
    So, my next focus really needs to be on these server migrations. Last time I did this, downtime was about 30 minutes roughly. Nothing too long, as I know how to do this work to minimize downtime.
    After that, my goal is to finish up the new voting rewards work that has been in progress. A lot of the work has been done, just got to finalize and test things.
    Then finally, once all that is out of the way, then we will resume on Empires work!
    Now, this is all taking into fact that I am still going to heavily be occupied with my day job.
    The time window on this project is all the way into next year.... Bear with me, I will try my best :)
    ngennaro, 607, jossytheninja and 15 others like this.
  2. That all sounds awesome! :eek: It seems like every EMC'er is patient enough to wait, so you don't need to rush on anything. Take your time, and relax when you feel like it. :)
    Tuqueque and 607 like this.
  3. good bananakin good
    Tuqueque and PetezzaDawg like this.
  4. awesome
    so minecraft 1.12.2? or still 1.12.1 ?
  5. The servers have been updated to 1.12.2. :)
  6. 1.12.2
  7. so u can't use 1.12.1 mods :( ?
  8. Most 1.12 mods seem to work. Just download forge, liteloader and optifine for 1.12.2 and most of the actual mods will work.
  9. Patience is a virtue. Quite frankly I have no issues at all with staying on the same version for a while without much major updates. Because if you play your cards blocks right then there's always something to do. You just have to look for it.
  10. Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait for the new voter rewards. Closing in on 1700!
  11. I just want to say, don't worry about the slow-ish projects, I think everybody understands that people sometimes just get a little busy with something else.
    Also, I just want to make sure, the furnaces on hoppers is fixed now right? we don't need to use dispensers to reduce lag.

Another one I'd suggest is re-writing parts of the way redstone dust is programmed, as that really is the most laggy component in the game, but I think there actually is a reason you din't do that alredey (or I looked over it :p )
    I'm trying to design a lagg-friendly oversized everything farmeble farm currently, so you might actually want to beef the smp1 server up a little :p
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  12. Whoot! I can't wait for those either, currently only 1372. But what I really love is that Aikar takes so much time to ensure that we have a fun and stable place to call home. It has recently been brought up in conversation that we are so spoiled here on emc and I must admit that's so true for me. I do on very, very few occasions pop onto a different server to play with a friend and realize just how good we have it here and why emc is and will always be my home.

As always .. I love our big, beautiful, and diverse community where I feel so safe and welcomed. Love you guyz and Thank You Aikar for caring enough to create this for us! <3
    607, JohnKid, ThaKloned and 2 others like this.
  13. Huh. With the games server... update to 1.12.2 .. forum changes.. and so much activity... i dont think i would have realized any 'slowdown' in progress....

Thanks to Aikar and the whole development team!

Comin up pretty quick on 500k members... something is right.
  14. That's cool
  15. Good to hear these things! :)