[DEBATE] Mending on promotional items.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Feil, Apr 22, 2019.

?

What do you think?

Mending should be on promos. 18 vote(s) 66.7%
Mending shouldn't be on promos. 9 vote(s) 33.3%
  1. "Promos" as they stand now aren't terribly special anyway, since there always seems to be another sword, bow, tool, or gimmick with every significant holiday. After a while, they all sort of run together. So just on the point of them being special, I'd say the answer there is "Dear EMC, stop flooding us with 'promo' items at every opportunity." Regardless of the opinion on Mending Yea/Nay, I think it's fair to say that special items would feel a lot more special if they weren't being churned out so often.
  2. The point of a promo isn't to give a player something that is valuable. Yes, if promos get broken they become less valuable and it is annoying but it's true, but mending was put on the Presidential Pen to fix that problem. Promos weren't being used even if they had really cool or special enchants that you normally wouldn't have on any other tool in minecraft.
    PS. Idk if someone else has already said anything along these lines, I was too lazy to read through ALL of the posts above :p
    Some promos are like this, but some aren't. I know there is a sharpness enchantment lvl 15 pickaxe out there (is it the Can Opener?), and higher-than-normal looting on the Presidential Pen I believe. These are two examples but there are probably more out there!
  3. Well, that depends on what your definition of VALUE is.

Adding Mending to Promos increases the value . . .
    The usefulness of a Promo holds much more value to me.

The rupee value of a Promo isn't at all what is valuable to me about a Promo. I can't imagine I would collect items I obtained through the marketplace. If I'm going to buy something, I have an intended use for it, aside from a mere collectors item, and I would want that item to last.

I do collect items though, but the items that I myself earned, and those items cannot be bought. If anything, I give items away. So, IMO, the claim that Mending reduces the value of a Promo is 180 degrees from my perception of how Minecraft should be. Call me a purist if you want, but that's why I joined a Vanilla server.

I appreciate Promos . . . not for the rupees they may yield , but because they connect me to Empire Minecraft, to have something that represents my history here. Being able to use a Promo is much more valuable.

-BZ-
    ForeverMaster, liamwill and jacob5089 like this.
  4. Going to throw a hat into the ring:

Soulbound+mending = better voters items.
    As long as the two are separate, I can still fall into lava or be killed by a random creeper 1,000,000 blocks from the nearest outpost and loose my items.

New idea:
    Be like the australiums from TF2, where they are all time promos, but insanely hard to obtain (dragon tombs? did you forget :aikar:), therefore allowing either type of item (soulbound [rewards worse play] or mending [rewards better play]) to have unlimited quality but still have the rarity.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  5. I feel like I don't get what you're saying here. I don't know 'australiums'.
  6. In TF2, australiums are golden versions of weapons (no difference from regular weapons aside from tracking kills, somthing that can be applied to regular weapons) that can be obtained extra rarely (0.49%) by completing a specific Mann VS Machine tour (takes about 1-2 hours to complete 1 mission, 4 missions per tour).
    This is what I think EMC items should be like, extra rare, but always attainable from the faucet by completing a specific task. Minibosses aren't rare enough, challenging enough, or have the rarity on their drops to apply. This way, items can still have mending, but be gold, so if a player doesn't watch the durability, it will still break.
    607 likes this.
  7. On the issue of mending, so far it hasn't mattered to me what enchants are on an item. I collect them yes, and i dont use them. Even my unbreakable voters gear remains untouched. Sure nobody can tell... except me. I know they are in clean unused condition. The discussion of collecting or no is another issue, always a debate, but as everyone plays mc to get out of it what they want, Some are just after the largest rupee balance. I cant see anybody swaying the position of anyone else, ever. Play Your Way. :aikar:

On a personal note I do like to collect, for me it is like the "treasure" of the game. And my most valuable items are on the 5th floor of my tower... almost entirely personal items received from others, often renamed blocks or what not, or items that remind me of events or occurrences that I experienced. Just personal memories of EMC. :cool:
    jacob5089 and liamwill like this.
  8. I mean to be fair, I don't think the pen gets used anyway. The damage seems to be less than hitting with your hand, and I didn't notice any higher loot when using it compared to a looting 3 sword.
  9. Yeah, just tested with the HWYLA mod on, does 1/2 to 1 heart of damage on a sharpness I diamond sword, that's less than a normal non-enchanted dia sword. So it'll take like 5-10 hits to kill a normal mob if you're on a normal difficulty, unless you prep with a different sword/weapon, so it makes the looting not even worth it.
  10. this isnt how we intended it to be,