[DEBATE] Mending on promotional items.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Feil, Apr 22, 2019.

?

What do you think?

Mending should be on promos. 18 vote(s) 66.7%
Mending shouldn't be on promos. 9 vote(s) 33.3%
  1. I personally think mending shouldn't be on promo items. Back in the day the big thing about promo items was that they were too rare to use even though they had good enchants, and if you used them the price would go down. Mending kind of takes this away and I was disappointed to see that the president's day promo has mending on it.
    Silken_thread and JDHallows like this.
  2. So, the presidential pen, it was My idea to put Mending on it, Why i wanted to put mending on it was because what i was hearing from people is they didn't want to use promos that they would eventually loose,

people were saying they wanted items that wouldn't just sit around in a chest and not get used

What do you say to these problems?
  3. Like I said in the OP I feel like mending diminishes the value of the promo, and giving mending to a looting 6 sword is a bit overpowered. I could understand if the promo just had basic enchants but had a fancy name and description on it.

The thing about promos was that if you used them you accepted that you dropped the value heavily on it, and holding onto an extremely old, rare promo that had never been used was a good thing. Promos in my eyes are meant to be collectible items and kind of drive a huge part of the EMC economy. Putting mending on promos will ruin their value for a long time since people can just use them and they'll stay the same value.
    JDHallows and SpicyIcyBoi like this.
  4. First... lol its mending 4 not 6 which is only 1 higher than default max

second, i dont know you, you joined today but it sounds like you had a previous account on EMC, but im one of the most dedicated collectors of promos you will ever see on emc :p i dont use promos, but i wanted the promo i got a chance to help design to be someone that people could use if they wished too
    luckycordel, Big__Kev, 607 and 4 others like this.
  5. Personally I'm all for mending. It brings back usefulness to promos. Back in the day the Ore buster used to be a beautiful pick to mine with for only 20-30k. Nowadays you cant find one for less than 300k because it's a "collector's item". I'd much rather have promos that would actually be used in game rather than just sit in a chest/vault/museum.

This is coming from someone who's been here for 7 years. (Albeit on and off)
  6. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I wholeheartedly agree that mending would make promos able to be used, but my main beef with mending is that adding mending on new promos would limit the amount of new promo tools and weapons that can be created. Durability and the unbreaking enchantment add a variable to promos that can be balanced, and without this factor, the number of possible promos will decrease sharply.
    (I feel like that explanation made no sense whatsoever. Oh well.)

(Also been here for 7 years)
    JDHallows, Ariesis and jacob5089 like this.
  7. As much as I LOVE the presidential pen, if we put mending on all promos I think they would kinda lose their value and kinda ruin the idea of a promo. I think one mending promo is plenty haha
  8. Been here for over seven years. In my opinion, the promo market as it stands is a bad part of the EMC economy.
    I disagree with your claim that "back in the day" nobody used promo items. I have distinct memories of using holiday axes, ore busters, and all kinds of other promos to get the most out of their items.
    In my opinion, items aren't meant to sit in a chest and get more valuable to collectors. They should be used and enjoyed like any other item, and mending helps more people to do that.
  9. I think you meant looting 4, what's mending 4 do? Repair faster with less XP?

I feel the struggle coming from both parties, and I suppose I can't count myself out of either of the two. I have been hoarding collectibles since my wee bittle pixel hands could grab such items. While I understand where people are coming from who support adding mending to all promos, giving back common use, what's wrong with them without mending. They sit in that chest collecting dust because we want them to or have so few of them. Why bother getting groceries from the store if you let it sit in your house without any intentions of using it.

There are two sides to this it seems.

Mending Promos
    Everyone can buy one and it lasts indefinitely without much change in value
    (less likely to have buffs/enchants that are powerful)
    Long run value - Stays about same
    Everyday Use
    or
    Non-Mending Promos
    Everyone can spend hefty amounts on items that decline in value heavily upon usage
    (more likely to have buffs/enchants that are powerful)
    Museum Item/Collectible
    Long run value - Significantly builds with time
    Seldom/Limited Use

Feels like the better solution is to mix it up.
    I am glad that Jewel_King decided to change it up a bit. Thank you! Change is good, but I do not think that mending promos should be created in large quantities. Some more would be cool,
    sure. . . but not an insane amount.
    It's awfully nice to have it I agree, although for promos that would mean
    you'll have it forever. It grinds away at the risk of losing them over longer periods of time.

Just my thoughts.
  10. Yes that was a mistake i meant looting 4 haha
    Ariesis and Nickblockmaster like this.
  11. Mending? I'm all for it.
    Jacob summed it up nicely. If Mending enchants are what it takes to shake up "promo hoarders" and get people to actually use the shiny stuff they're given, instead of stuffing it in a chest with the other hundred-plus "special" items EMC cranks out every year to keep people happy, then fluff yes: Mend All The Things.
  12. I like the mending on it. Nice change. I agree with nick, put mending on some promos and jot flood the promo market with mending promos. I throughly enjoy using promos. Before I went derelict, I had 2 dcs of promos just sitting there collecting dust. I wanted to use them but with them being final, the value would go down and cannot be fixed. I like the idea but not every item in the game needs mending
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and jacob5089 like this.
  13. I'm gonna put a kind of extreme opinion out there but here me out. Promos should have time limits before they "break". And no mending. For example, a new holiday pick comes out. You have one month to use it from when you claim it, and then it "breaks", not disappearing, but becomes unusable. Some kind of modifier or enchantment is automatically applied that makes it unable to break blocks or deal damage or take durability damage, etc. If you don't use it at all, it still will break, and if you completely deplete it, then upon running out of durability, it's replaced with the broken version.

This encourages people to actually use the promos instead of hoarding them, but you also can still collect them as they leave behind their "broken" forms which are purely decorative. Fixes the problem of people not using them, but also means you don't have an endless non-vanilla weapon with unlimited repairing through mending.
  14. Huh, that is an interesting concept! I think I haven't heard it before.
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  15. I don't see the big deal, its so far been a one time thing.. It's very balanced, not like you can even kill a cow with one strike so increasing the loot amount helps.
    Ariesis likes this.
  16. I prefer to use an item over collecting, personally. There are many promo collectors here though. I understand the enjoyment players get from it and would not want to ruin it for them.

Perhaps we could provide a procedure to apply Mending to a limited number of items like an enchanted book, voucher, or staff service. Suppose for example, you could buy a Promo Mending Book on the website for $20 then use it in an Anvil to apply Mending to a promo of our choice like an Ore Buster.

A promo that has had a Promo Mending Book applied to it would then be even more valuable to both those of us who like to buy and sell promos because you are essentially creating a new promo item and to those of us who want to use them as we do normal items. Their numbers would be limited similarly to Supporter vouchers, Derelict Protection, and Remote Shop Signs because of the real money cost. Since this seems to be on the edge of pay to win, other ways of obtaining them might be as a promo event, achievement reward, or anniversary gift.
  17. Nice idea, and one that has been suggested before, but something like that seems much too powerful to me! I'm glad you used the Ore Buster as your example, but/because I think that an Ore Buster with Mending would be 'over-powered'.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  18. Hmm, I feel like were missing a point here.

The main reason promos increase in value over time is that the quantity decreases. Now there are many factors why the quantity decreases and one of them is that they brake (durability) but another one is that they get lost! Even with Mending on all promos we will still see a slow increase in value over time because they get lost!

Now, because we have promos without Mending from the past I'd suggest an equal balance by releasing promos with Mending and without. Let me use the Dragon Egg as an example, its not a tool so it does not have durability but the value increases over time, as it gets lost!

So what do we learn from this discussion? Promos without Mending will dramatically increase in value over time because of a clear reason that they lose durability and brake. Promos with mending will slowly increase in value over time because they can be fixed. Both types of tools can still be lost thus we will see both increase in price over time! I'm all for releasing promos which can be used by players on a daily basis yet have promos which spark interest in collectors.

Lets not be complicated and just release a mixture of tools with mending and without!
  19. ^^^ This 100%. I fully support.
    ForeverMaster, jacob5089 and liamwill like this.
  20. The issue with this is that I think it either severely limits the power level of promos, as someone pointed our the Ore Buster with mending would be insane, or makes them just OP. Having usage and collecting be totally separate and mutually exclusive isn't necessarily a requirement for a promo but I think that being able to fully use a promo infinitely makes it feel kind of weird. I think you're vastly oversimplifying the market and situation of promos. Also, suggesting that promos should be released that can be "used by players on a daily basis" TOTALLY defeats the purpose of a promo. It's not supposed to be free god-tier mending diamond tools for everyone. Its supposed to be special.
    I actually kind of like that the presidential pen does basically no damage, makes it more balanced considering that it has mending and a non-vanilla level of looting.
    ForeverMaster, 607 and liamwill like this.