[DEBATE] Idea thievery

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jonions, May 2, 2012.

?

Idea Thieves: What of them?

I think that your ideas are yours, and anyone caught copying you should be banished. 13 vote(s) 20.0%
I think that it is perfectly fine for one to steal another's ideas. 6 vote(s) 9.2%
I don't think stealing ideas is alright, but what can we do about it? Some people have similar ideas 11 vote(s) 16.9%
It doesn't affect me. 2 vote(s) 3.1%
I don't like stealing, but it's not so serious as to provoke a ban. 10 vote(s) 15.4%
It depends on the situation. (please comment and elaborate if you choose this) 15 vote(s) 23.1%
It doesn't matter, it's all a game. It's only serious in the real world. 8 vote(s) 12.3%
  1. EMC =/= Real world. We run things a bit different than the US Government.

And actually, trusts are against the law, which is what you seem to be describing. That is a bunch of large corporations who can afford to put their prices dirt cheap for a long time at the same low prices drive out other similar businesses who cannot afford to compete with the cheap prices. Then once all their other competition are out of the way, the corporations can jack up their prices.

See, Ford would never try that with GM because, well, GM is another big corporation. They would bankrupt themselves if they tried that.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  2. You say emc =/= real world yet in your first post you compare it to the real world.

As I said in my first post. I'm not against someone copying an idea. I am against someone copying a (business) idea and driving the price so low it isn't worth it to the other person.

I think we may be discussing different things. From my understanding this debate spawned from this thread.
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/xpgrinder-inc.7967/
  3. Okay, here is what I think of the situation. No. 6: If the wilderness you are in has almost NO diamonds and somebody steals ALL of them, then that deserves a ban. BUT if you BOUGHT the diamonds and didn't actually get them your self, punishment is necessarily but dose not need a ban. No. 4: IF you are caught doing a bad deed once, you get a minor punishment or warning. But if you get caught doing it again, zed punishment greatly increases and the punishment will exponentially grow until it simply becomes BAN. No. 2: Okay, the message of this is that the man gets an idea truthful after a incorporation get it first. Done. No big deal. But if the same man makes an idea after another corporation does AGAIN, you will/wont believe them again. Again, if the same man makes an idea after another corporation does A THIRD TIME, he is obviously lying and tiring to credit off of other peoples work.
  4. I support competition. EMC doesn't give out patents, copyrights, or trademarks. In the real world, at least in the USA and most other industrial or post-industrial societies governments grant these things because they are considered a benefit to the society as a whole. When someone creates art, literature, machinery, music, or numerous other things they put effort into it and as a society (in the real world) we believe that to encourage people to invest their time and money in these ventures we will protect them for a period of time.

When the United States was founded, those periods of time were relatively short. Big money led to lobbying which led to longer periods of protection. Not because longer periods benefit society, but because they benefit greedy politicians.

Competition is the cornerstone of capitalism because it truly benefits everyone. Competition leads to better production methods, more streamlined work processes, quality products, improved distribution channels, and lower prices and more choice for the consumer. Additionally, it greatly limits the ability for a company to form a monopoly--or if they are able to monopolize, they still must stay competitive because the barriers to entry are minimized.

I feel so strongly about competition and that neither a building nor a business model on EMC is intellectual property, that I as a moderator will NEVER enforce this even if it came down from Jeremy that I must. I would step down first.
  5. If you bought something from a store, then it's your property. If someone steals it, then it's stealing. Stealing in question is punishable by permaban.

That depends on the deed in question. Griefing? Permaban. Stealing? Permaban. PvP? Permaban. Using caps once? Warning. Using it again after first warning? Kick. Continuing to use caps after being warned and kicked? Tempban. Spamming swear words? Tempban - Permaban (Depending on the word and number of times it was used). And so forth.

... What?
    Barkley1987 likes this.
  6. uh,six just deserves a lock chest...
  7. please reread the 10 commandments page, you obviously need a refresher on it, stealing is a bannable offense no matter where it takes place
    AlexChance likes this.
  8. I strongly make a reference to that they use military names and actually FYI they asked one of my high staff ranks for the code to generate signatures with our UNIQUE signature system.
    I obviously didn't like the idea and it didnt happen but get your conclusions from it ;)
  9. lolol. ideas are universal. generally people who start a trend have no problem coming up with other ideas, the whole issue is stupid because its all about greed and getting attention.
  10. Your gif ... its really odd.
    Monster_ likes this.
  11. Guys, don't make the mods lock this thread. Try to keep this on topic, and respect everyone's opinions and ideas.
  12. I think #2 was the not so stolen idea

The rest were iffy...
  13. Good idea:)
  14. thank you...? :D
  15. whomever number six is probably doesn't have many friends
  16. Where in the world are these six examples that are being referred to throughout this whole thread? I'm sincerely confused out of my mind. :confused: They are not in the OP and I don't see any links to any page with these examples either. What am I missing?
  17. the op removed them from his post, they were a bit off topic from what i think he wanted the thread to be about.
    one involved an old lady getting robbed, two of them were different sides to the same copyright case, another was about outright theft, and the last two were about the use of another ideas to make money.
  18. I'm going to have to agree with question 5 down in the poll - "I don't like stealing but it's not so serious as to provoke a ban." If I ever use someone else's idea, I would ALWAYS ask for permission, and if I went through with it, most times offer a rupees compensation.

Going back to the "other" idea stealing thread, I would like to say something:

As annoyed and actually upset I felt about this, I would like to apologise to the person in question, who I will not mention (feel free to post if you would like to be know). I feel that I over-reacted, and probably could've handled the situation better. He later sent a PM to me, apologising and explaining his reasons - which I fully understand. ("He" made the post before asking for permission"). I replied to the PM, offering an apology and asking him to post his business 'venture again.
    Now, you also have to see my side of the situation: As Slozon said:
    This is SO true, and thank you Slozon for understanding where I was coming from. I think I had the right to be upset, and those "people" who didn't help the situation by trolling and making me MORE angry should be facing some consequences (to my alarm, a moderator was partially involved.

Now this aside, thank you for apologising and I have full respect for you once again, good luck with your grinder business.

- Alex.
    SecretAznEks likes this.