[DEBATE] Idea thievery

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jonions, May 2, 2012.

?

Idea Thieves: What of them?

I think that your ideas are yours, and anyone caught copying you should be banished. 13 vote(s) 20.0%
I think that it is perfectly fine for one to steal another's ideas. 6 vote(s) 9.2%
I don't think stealing ideas is alright, but what can we do about it? Some people have similar ideas 11 vote(s) 16.9%
It doesn't affect me. 2 vote(s) 3.1%
I don't like stealing, but it's not so serious as to provoke a ban. 10 vote(s) 15.4%
It depends on the situation. (please comment and elaborate if you choose this) 15 vote(s) 23.1%
It doesn't matter, it's all a game. It's only serious in the real world. 8 vote(s) 12.3%
  1. i wouldnt say there trolls, i'd say there people with different opinions, you also seem like your being a bit childish
  2. I would say they're trolls. Perhaps you need to google the meaning?
    slozon likes this.
  3. They were trolling in order to express their opinion.
    AlexChance likes this.
  4. Those are not opinions.
  5. It depends. Let me show 3 examples:

1: You one day get the great idea that you will invent a...... lets just say Item. Then people come along seeing your Item. Then one day after you see another person doing it saying it was all their idea. You realize the dude was there at your res seeing what that Item did.

Answer: NO. It is not alright to steal someones idea if they didn't give credit to the inventor.

2: One day you invent a contraption called the Whatchamacalit. Then one day 1 person figures out how to make the Whatchamacalit. Then when you go to your res to confront him, you see a sign above the Whatchamacalit saying: Created by: (person name)

Answer: YES. It's not stealing if you give credit to the inventor.

3: One day you invent the Super Town XP Grinder! You feel so happy you tell everyone to come to your res and check it out. Then people observe and make at their house. The next day you see 10 of them on the server.

Answer: Its a no but..... you can't kick/bantemp/ban 10 people. Just let it slide and congradulate yourself for making such a wonderful invention
    SecretAznEks likes this.
  6. Unless that idea has been taken and duly turned into whatever it would require to make it a valid recipient of copyright protection (A song, a book, etc) or IP (Such as a particular design of Mob Grinder, although of course you couldn't actually get IP for that.).

However, if you then copy that idea, you're not going to be done for stealing the idea, you're going to be done for breaching whatever it is that's protecting the realisation of the idea.
  7. Let me throw out a real world example here.

I work in the medical world - so something I know well. Medications.

Drug companies make drugs, patent them, then put them out on the market. The patents last x number of years. The patents expire and then generic drug companies make exact replicas and sell them at much better prices with the advertising - "Look our meds are exactly the same - but instead of $250 per sctipt, you can buy it for $10!"

Government forces this loss of patent and encourages replications because Monopolies are bad for the economy and bad for the consumer. Things that are bad for the consumer and the economy are eventually bad for the sellers.
    kilmannan likes this.
  8. Fixed that for ya.

:D

That's pretty much nail on the head.

That's also why I laugh my ass off when I see people buying the expensive aspirin at £6 a pack when the stores own-brand at 40p a pack does the exact same thing.
    Although that's more a trick of marketing than anything else.
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  9. Thanks =p

It is because consumers as a group tend to be lazy. I would bet you top dollar that in the past few years, while in recession, generic sales have gone up a lot and name brands down in sales. Only if people are forced will they take the time to consider what they are buying and be logical about it. "Hey look, this really is the exact same thing"
  10. Yes. Point in case in the UK with regards to consumer shopping habits.

We have a few very select, very high-brow stores such as Marks & Spencers and Waitrose. Those stores, you don't really do your full shop there unless you're upper-middle class. We then have bargain bin stores such as Aldi and Lidl. You tend not to shop there unless you're lower-working class.

Cue the recession and people shopping at the higher end of the range suddenly found themselves right down at the very bottom and those stores flourished as people accepted that just because it has words like 'Organic' or 'Farm-Fresh' on it, doesn't neccessarily mean it's good value for money.

The other thing people forget - all those 'Own brand' products? What, do they think the store has a factory pumping out everything they sell? Or is it more that the stores buy the product from the same company that makes the branded stuff?

I cannot remember now, but several own-brand cereals are made by Kellogs and I think one stores orange juice is made by someone else that does branded stuff.

I also know for a fact that Morrisons own-brand orange juice, concentrate in the plain packaging, is the same stuff it puts in its own-brand fancy packaging. There's no law against it. They just make a more colourful package and chuck 40p on the price and you think you're getting a better product.
  11. Loving the signature - real mature.

I thought we already came to the conclusion that we're not comparing EMC to real life?
  12. For something like that it's best to just report it to the mods.

Thats what I thought too. I also thought we weren't discussing copyright laws or patents. As none of them even apply here.
  13. It was to prove a point - Anyone can do anything they want with ideas, concepts, etc. I'll change it though, as I'm happy that's been realised.

That was actually drifting off-topic there and I was just going on further from MT's assertion that people realise lesser brands are sometimes the same if not even better than more expensive brands.

Tell me what I've done wrong first of all?

14. You're heaps funny, you made your point - I don't think you're really helping the "idea stealing" situation.
  15. There is no situation here though, that's the thing. It happens, it happens all the time where people copy ideas. My Run for Diamonds got copied, so hardcore copied it was almost embarrassing. I just cracked on and kept doing my thing though.

No-one has first dibs on anything here. Margaritte won the Amazing Machine competition thing, with an idea that was taken from Youtube. There's nothing wrong with that, she copied the original, did it a bit better and it deserved to win.

All you can do is ensure that your service is the best one out there. That's what I did with R4D. Until I got bored of it anyway. :)
  16. You closed R4D down...
  17. I shut it down primarily because I was bored of it. I'm a Project Whore and tend to hop around from one thing to the next a lot. It wasn't really a great investment of my time when some groups of Runners were taking an hour to complete it!
    Until that point, I made sure mine was the best one out there, and always got the best feedback.
  18. Oh. Alright now I appreciate where you are coming from.

I believe the opinions expressed in this debate is that "idea stealing" is frowned upon, but can not be dealt with.
  19. You must be reading a different thread. The opinions expressed on this thread mostly maintain that there is no such thing as "idea stealing," with a handful of people expressing alternate opinions. And it can't be dealt with because there's nothing to deal with.
    Pab10S likes this.
  20. I would comment, but both sides are too convincing for this to be concise. I'll wait until I have access to a computer.
    redwing2000 likes this.