[CONTEST] Mandelbrot Art

Discussion in 'Public Member Events' started by 607, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Wow, I didn't expect to get so high up!! :eek:

All other entries are so great too - this again reaffirms that I should never become a judge, as I just can't choose. :D 17, Lightning, stood out to me - I accidentally scrolled past the name, but still immediately thought about lightning. :D

Great job everyone! :) Also thanks to the judges, and, of course, to 607 for hosting this contest! :)
    607, jacob5089, Egeau and 1 other person like this.
  2. Super cool to see all these! Thanks for doing this 607! And congrats to the winners :)
    607 and Egeau like this.
  3. Yeah, I love it too! The darkroom colouration has given birth to some amazing graphics. I also love Egeau's (which got 10th place). I recently made this one myself. :)

I will ask, did you just crop and/or resize the image in the thread, or did you actually load the position into the program and resave it at the proper resolution? ;)

Agreed! Contests on what?
    Overall I did enjoy this, but I'm frankly not sure if I'll feel like organising anything else of the sort, as it has proven quite hard to get EMC members to participate in anything. :p

Me neither. :D But to be frank, I was surprised when I saw that I had rated your rainbow entry so high myself. :confused: I mean, it's nice and flashy, but looking at the images now I would say I greatly prefer for example #10 Egeau, #9 and #8 to #2. I had expected the rainbow entries to do well though, and in fact I was surprised that there weren't more of them! I honestly thought that everyone would make one entry using the Rainbow colouration, but only half of the contestants did.
    Speaking of which, there is only one colouration that was never used... poor Dark. :( I can see why though, honestly; the accompanying example is cool but it is hardly zoomed in at all; it seems hard to find good-looking things when zoomed in further. The contrast is also too low, I think. Maybe I can think of a configuration to make it look nicer in the future. ;) (I have support for optional parameters planned, so that I can make colourations configurable (for example, changing the size of the rainbow, or the amount of different colours in Colours) without making any pictures already made unachievable).
    You wouldn't have had to, though! Comparing things is a lot of work and can be quite hard, this is why I almost always work with grades between 1 and 10 instead of relative orderings when I want to obtain a ranking. :)

Again, I have more to say, and prizes to send out, but this post is already quite long and I have some more alerts to get to, so I'll be back here later. :p
    TomvanWijnen and MerRhyAndBright like this.
  4. Oohhhh nice! :D

:rolleyes: Perhaps after 1.15 it will be slightly better... hopefully... :p

I thought you would've rated mine much lower than this, but I was pleasantly surprised. :D I think your (general "your") opinion of a picture can differ greatly on your mood, your location, the current light, your screen settings, whether you've just had an ice cream or not, et cetera. Seeing as you're comparing it to #10, #9, and #8, which you graded 9.2, 9.6, 9.4, which all aren't that far off from what you graded my #2, these slight differences can tip the scale. :)

This also made me notice that you somehow swapped #9 and #8 (average grade of 7.3 and 7.2 respectively, should be the other way around). :)

I quite like the Rainbow colouration, so I was also surprised it wasn't used more!

I just made this!

:)

I think I'd be even worse at giving grades than at ordering things. :D I'm just not good at choosing, and giving a grade or deciding which is best definitely belongs under choosing for me. :D
  5. I have mailed the vault vouchers, and awarded the Club Points! Six out of the twelve contestants were not in the database yet, so I have added them. To the newcomers, a short explanation: I give away Club Points on my YouTube channel and in my EMC threads as a reward for participation in what I do. In return, you can request me to create something for you. For example, for 10 CP you can let me record a video of any Minecraft server (might one come to mind? ;)), which I will post on my YouTube channel, and you all now have 20 CP or more. :) For more information and the leaderboards, see http://folk.simpsite.nl/cp.
    In addition to the formula I shared earlier, I gave Cleo_The_Dog, Kiwi__Bird and BugsyWPfeiffer 5 CP extra because they named their entries, which I didn't ask for (or even consider), but found really cool. :) I also gave every participant an extra 3 CP on top of what their entries got them, as a 'sorry' for the mistake I have made:
    In the judging panel I programmed for the judges, the pictures are displayed at a resolution of 700x700. This used to be 500x500, but as you might remember I asked if you were okay with me rerendering the pictures to 700x700, so the judges wouldn't have to squint into their screen in order to see the pictures well.
    However, it turns out I have made a mistake somehow: Carbonyx' pictures were not 700x700 but 985x985. I do not know how this happened, and I find it strange that I did not notice while testing. In fact, I even remember finding out that the pictures of one of the contestants were in a different resolution, fixing them, and then checking all others. Or at least I think I do. :confused:
    In any case, Carbonyx' pictures were rendered larger than the rest. In the judging panel they were thus downscaled, which introduced an anti-aliasing effect. This might have made the pictures look worse or better than the rest, to some judges.
    I do not think that this has had a big effect, but it is possible that it has, and I thought I should let you know about the mistake. In any case I think you will all agree that the winning picture looks great! ;)
    If you want to see for yourself how Carbonyx' pictures looked in the judging panel or know what it was like to be a judge yourself, you can! Because as promised, I will put the program up for download. :) Of course you don't need to mail the results to me anymore, but it might be fun to see what the judges used! :)
    Dutch version: Mandelbrotkunstwedstrijdjurypaneel
    English version: Mandelbrot Art Contest Judging Panel

I have sent the top 3 winners a pm asking for their preferred 100k member's item, and will write the book... when I get to it. ;)
    That's it for now! Thanks for your interest in my contest. :) And if you enjoyed using my Mandelbrot Explorer, maybe give the main thread about it a watch. ;)
    Sazukemono and TomvanWijnen like this.
  6. Makes sense!

Thanks for pointing that out! The ordering wasn't wrong, actually, I typed the grade wrong. Probably because the actual average grade was 7.23, but I figured I should fix all grades to exactly one decimal.
    That's pretty cool! Maybe sent it to me another way so I can investigate it further, as I'm curious where it is in the figure and how it looks in other colourations. :D (and as you might know by now, imgur strips off the data that lets the program load back the coordinates etc)
    Edit: Haha, just noticed you already pm'ed it to me. You're great. :D
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  7. Ah, yes, I forgot to add the "seems" in my sentence. :D Maths is easy, but numbers? Still so complicated! :D

I've already PM'd it to you. :D

Told you! :rolleyes:
    607 likes this.
  8. Whoa I can't believe I did so well! :D Congrats to the others!
    607 likes this.
  9. Some very cool images there! Kudos to all... nice event 607.
    607 likes this.
  10. My phone seems to automatically resize for backgrounds. I saved the image directly from thread then emailed it to myself and downloaded it on my phone :p.
    607 likes this.
  11. Ah, I figured it out! I know how it is possible that I remember checking the dimensions of all submissions and Carbonyx' deviating anyway!
    I looked up Carbonyx' submission, and it was made on January 27th. That was very shortly before closing entries, and in fact, judging by the dates on the posts at the top of page 3, it's very likely that it was after I did this check. :)
    Of course, I should've checked again, and I'm still sorry for my mistake, but this at least clears up most of my confusion about how it could have happened. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the event; thanks for the comments! :)
  12. Cool program! heres one i made
    jacob5089, 607, TomvanWijnen and 2 others like this.
  13. Thank you! You should've posted in the main thread instead, but oh well. ;) I still have to write the book about this contest, anyway. :p
    Very cool image! I think that is for sure the best position I've ever seen with that colouration. I'd like to check it out, could you send me the image somehow? :) (by uploading it to for example Discord, Google Drive or Dropbox)
  14. Absolutely, Im glad to hear that you like it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KEuMMgoXTA43bQMZJ4y1ywW-wVuIvAmf/view?usp=sharing]
    607 likes this.
  15. jacob5089 and zirascar like this.
  16. BugsyWPfeiffer, TomvanWijnen and Carbonyx have received their Mandelbrot books! :) It took a while longer because I was very disappointed when I found out that text formatting was removed from survival Minecraft. I was able to use some special Unicode characters for decoration here and there, though! :cool:
  17. Oops, apologies for taking a while to respond. :p I was busy, and didn't get to it until now, but I finally opened the present of the book and read it! Thanks, it was a nice read! :) Thanks again for hosting the contest. :)

I loved this part of the book the most:

:D
    607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  18. Minecraft formatting doesn't support Unicode Emoji, but all characters from code page 437 are supported, the first two of which are the smiley character. :D
    ☺☻
    TomvanWijnen likes this.