Community, what do we want?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samsimx, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Sort of like how we had a death event, something I hadn't seen once since I came back from my computer's death. The event was tons of fun... until Chin came... second he said the word "witch" I knew it was over for me. :p

As for ideas? I have none. xD
  2. It's a known fact that with more events, the luster is going to wear off. Creature capture is currently broken, which is why we cannot play it. The reason why I can have such variation is because of my OP status. Moderators do not have that luxury, which is something the games server aims to address, so that we can have more variation because more staff will be running more types of events. This is the biggest limitation at the time.
  3. I like the comments about town chat. I too think it should be allowed by all. I've seen a few new people get mad and say they are leaving because they got lost in the wild and could not post in chat to get help. Was there a reason that this was made supporter only? (Just curious, not criticizing :p)

Anyways just my thoughts :)
  4. But even if that is so then I think this maybe quite hard to realize. Because... Is frustration about a game really a bad thing per definition? I think it doesn't always have to be. It usually happens when we try to accomplish something and can't - for whatever reason - and end up getting frustrated because it doesn't work for us.

But the real question then becomes: is that because of the game (a bad setup maybe) or because of the player who might still have a few things to learn?

If you want to keep a game balanced and also challenging then I think you'll never be able to rule out frustrations, nor should you. Because in some areas it's part of the game.

In this particular example a player might have been better off not setting up their own shop but instead focusing on selling items to malls for the moment. I know of at least some on smp2 and smp4 which also buy items from players, and I'm positive that there are some on other servers as well.
    Patr1cV and 607 like this.
  5. I think some frustration can be turned into motivation. When I joined I got frustrated seeing so many people being about to buy promos or some of the harder to get vanilla items. I wanted this too. I started out with small jobs, then made my own farming outpost.

The other side to this can not be a good thing. I find that the younger members don't always take the same path and end up leaving. It can't take a lot of work to be successful on here.
  6. Thats great for older players that understand how the world works. The EMC economy is difficult to understand, and for a child with no prior knowledge on how economies and businesses work, they struggle here on EMC. They price things according to how difficult it was for them to get. I have seen new players price iron ingots at 100r each. They see how many rupees they have, how difficult it was to mine the iron ore, bring it town, and smelt it to be able to sell the ingot, and price it based on that.

EMC can be a great place to learn for younger players, and even older players. I have learned a lot playing on here about how an economy works. I have seen first-hand the effects of supply and demand, which I learned about but did not really understand in my High School economics class.

Educating our players is my suggestion. Being able to quickly and easily educate players is the best way to help them. Too often I hear of players selling a promos for a third of its price because they didn't know its value, and then some already rich EMC players goes and makes the money that new player lost. I get tired of hearing "Well they should have looked for the price on the forums." That is the lamest excuse I have heard on here, and should not be our response to players. Rather than belittle them after making a mistake, teach them and show them how to use the forums to find a price for an item. Or show them how to price shop items so that they sell better.

One time there was a player that set his shop signs up across his res, you could easily miss many or all of the shop signs. He complained that he was not getting any sales. Not only were his prices good, they were very competitive and I was surprised at the items he was selling (it was not the usual wheat and potatoes). His only problem was organization of his res, which I helped him with a bit so that he would get more sales.
    khixan, samsimx, ThaKloned and 2 others like this.
  7. the only reason i could think of is this is pretty much the only perk iron supporter has to offer now, people used to buy it for map hide or not having to worry about going derelict but those two are solved now with voting and universal map hide. the only perk iron really has that matters anymore is town chat
  8. Glad to see that you're back and wanting to interact with us again samsimx! :D
    ShelLuser, 607 and samsimx like this.
  9. Welcome back to EMC :) I want to see private land in the wilderness more than anything, and possibly (?) a player created shop tutorial, to help out new players? (the latter might be a little far fetched :p)
  10. Still looking to hear from more of you. :rolleyes:
    SirTah likes this.
  11. Cookies. That's what I want. It's fine to want but I'm pretty dang happy with what's going on. Outpost claiming is next on the list. If that's with the next year of two that would be cool.
  12. Goodmorning bump :p
  13. Hmm... I might be interested in making something like this. Question to everyone: what would you like to see in something like this? And how do you think I should make this?
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  14. I think it'd be a good idea but a pretty big investment that would be hard to find out if it's actually helpful. First off this would only be on one server and many new players aren't looking to hop servers just to find out how to build a shop when they barely know how to switch servers. :p

I feel like there could be a portion in the new tutorial Krysyy posted a thread about where to get to the next zone / access to the TP you have to make a "mock" shop? Something really simple that just gives a player an idea of how easy it is to make a shop. Maybe not make it mandatory to do but encourage it. Just a random idea I had. :p
  15. I really enjoy this discussion so far, so I'd like to add something new. However, please keep 2 things in mind: This is just a comment and no complaint. I'm merely wondering. Second: I hardly attend any events myself, so my experience is limited.

Having that out of the way I cannot help notice that nearly all events seem to be held in town these days. Even those where I would expect it to be held in the waste (like Tuesday Tree Choppers, which has been held on Utopia several times).

I need to stress this out: this is not a complaint nor criticism. If people are having fun then that is all which matters in my opinion.

It simply strikes me as a little bit odd that the emphasis seems to lie on town nowadays (or at least that is my impression as a bystander, I could be wrong of course!). Especially when keeping in mind that it was Aikar who once tried to push the server to go out and have some more fun in the wilderness.

Thoughts and / or comments?
    Patr1cV, SirTah, 607 and 2 others like this.
  16. I like the idea of some events being in town, the frontier isn't for everyone and making some events that can be in town in town works out for a lot of people. In town people have the safety net of not dying and losing their items they get from the event, while in events like FNM people have a chance, even if slim, to lose their earnings.

I do think that wild claiming might be our "saving grace" when it comes to frontier players. This will also encourage more players to go into the wild to start their own outposts that they can protect and will allow new frontier players the chance to join established frontier player's bases. :)
  17. There's a lot of talk about land protection, a lot of players are waiting for this so that we can enjoy a bit of both: town protection in a survival world.

So what do you think about the derelict policy guys?

In town we have a lot of protection, but we can go derelict. In the Frontier we can't go derelict but we also don't have any protection.

How would you picture this with land protection? Should it be set up in a way where structures stay protected even though the original builders and/or owners have long gone? In a way you could argue that this is already the case: if you build something in the Frontier then no one has the right to "just" alter or remove it, that's griefing and punishable. The only thing land protection would do is to make this physically impossible.

But on the other hand I also don't think it's fair if inactive players keep larger portions of land occupied while there might be active players who would be happy to occupy that land themselves and actually use it. This is also the theory behind the derelict policy in town.

Should land protected areas have a derelict policy applied to them, just like in town?
    Patr1cV and 607 like this.
  18. Well since everything is unofficial so far we don't have much info on what the exact details of land claiming will be so this is all speculation but I don't think frontier land should go derelict. From what I've read land claiming will be exclusive to established outposts (claimed land) and that'll make it so you have already met the requirements: distance from spawn, distance from locked chest, etc. After meeting these requirements and investing tokens(or whatever it takes to claim land) into a wild outpost you shouldn't have to worry about it going derelict.

There is enough land in the frontier for everyone, infinitely expandable, while town has a finite amount of plots which is why we have derelict system.
    607 and NetherSpecter like this.
  19. Absolutely.

It's easy to picture Land Claiming like there's gonna be all these beautiful castles and cities that are protected so anyone can visit them, but let's be honest, most claimed areas are going to be like most claimed Town residences: empty or boring, then quickly abandoned.

Players will just find nice pieces of land, where cool stuff could be built, claim them, and then not really build anything on them. Players who would utilize the land better can never do so unless it goes derelict.

Being able to claim the area encompassing your already-built structure is the hook here, I think, but that will be a one-time event, and will encompass a small minority of all the claimed land in the future.

No, I don't think anyone should have permanent derelict protection, unless, you know, they have "Permanent Derelict Protection". Sorry, but if the argument is that structures would usually stay forever, then I say leave it unprotected, like usual.

The question I have is: when an area goes derelict and becomes open, will it get wiped (chunks reset to worldgen)?